• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

I'm a fairly new member to the MRA. I can't say enough about their safety and their RSO's. I broke a rule unknowingly and they acted quickly and professionally. They let me know that I screwed up but they weren't jerks about it. They politely stopped me, explained in depth what the issue was and could not have been more professional about it. The staff here is friendly and helpful. I especially like that you don't have to be "sponsored", I HATE that.

Great club, I was a member at MRA for 10 years, till I moved.

A range membership is like a GYM membership, if you live too far you won't end up going often enough.

My grandfather was a treasurer at MRA, back in the late 1940's or early 1950's

MRA is the oldest gun club in the country, opening in 1875!

MRA usto have a 1000 yard range, till the state took some of the land to build Rt128 on it.

If you live in or near Woburn I would highly recommend being a member of MRA!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, MRA takes a lot of heat for some fuddy rules and interesting characters who shoot there, but for the price and convenience of location I have enjoyed being a member there for 3 years now and never once had a serious issue

I've said it before and I'll say it again, MRA takes a lot of heat for some fuddy rules and interesting characters who shoot there, but for the price and convenience of location I have enjoyed being a member there for 3 years now and never once had a serious issue

What about joining then being told you won't even get a fob for 2-3 months so you can even use the club ?

Anyone know if I can turn in my application before my ltc comes in? There is a spot on the application to put license number down.

I've already spoken with licensing bureau and it is approved, just awaiting being printed and mailed to leo, then it will be mailed to me. I want to get the ball rolling so I don't have too long with a gun and no place to shoot it whenever I want.

Anyone know if I can turn in my application before my ltc comes in? There is a spot on the application to put license number down.

I've already spoken with licensing bureau and it is approved, just awaiting being printed and mailed to leo, then it will be mailed to me. I want to get the ball rolling so I don't have too long with a gun and no place to shoot it whenever I want.

Do it, you won't get access to the club until orientation, which right now is 2-3 months out. Worst case, they'll tell you to come back after you get the physical ltc

I just joined here but now I'm seriously second guessing it. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new hunting rifle and scope and need a place to sight it in. I can't even get in for orientation until mid-April and then another week or two later for the interview. Then they say there's a SIX MONTH "probationary" period before you can use the outdoor rifle range. Seriously, SIX MONTHS? 90% of the reason I'm looking for a club is to sight in a rifle and practice with it before deer season. At this rate I won't be allowed to step on the rifle range until deer season starts.

Anyone know if there's a way to waive that requirement? Like can I go sight my gun in under supervision and demonstrate that I'm capable of not lobbing rounds into 128?

I just joined here but now I'm seriously second guessing it. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new hunting rifle and scope and need a place to sight it in. I can't even get in for orientation until mid-April and then another week or two later for the interview. Then they say there's a SIX MONTH "probationary" period before you can use the outdoor rifle range. Seriously, SIX MONTHS? 90% of the reason I'm looking for a club is to sight in a rifle and practice with it before deer season. At this rate I won't be allowed to step on the rifle range until deer season starts.

Anyone know if there's a way to waive that requirement? Like can I go sight my gun in under supervision and demonstrate that I'm capable of not lobbing rounds into 128?
This is the closest place to my town and I was really excited about possibly joining.

But I was really unimpressed when I visited recently:
* Old guys that like to hear themselves talk
* Annoying range rules
* Long unused crap all over the place on the floors, tables, etc.
* Long waiting list, plus probationary period

I understand it gets the job done for some. But it seems like they go out of their way to make the place unwelcoming to younger shooters, women, and those interested in defensive handgun.

In a word: fuddy

If you are looking to waive the 6 month probationary period before qualifying for the 200 & 50 yard ranges, my recommendation would be to stop by during office hours and ask. The worst they can say is no.

Even if that is the case, you can go out onto one of the outdoor ranges as the "guest" of another member who has access to that range. As with any guest,
RR1.03 GUESTS:
• The host member is fully responsible for the guest’s conduct and for any damage to the Association property resulting from the guest’s visit.
This would potentially allow you to get some longer range practice in before the probationary period has ended. Just make sure that in accordance with the rules,
4.05. All firearms must be qualified at 25 yards first (with the exception of black powder).

I have also heard of shooters participating in one of the scheduled matches on an outdoor range, and using that in lieu of the outdoor qualification. I do not recall if this was during their 6 month new member probationary period or not. It does not appear that the 2016 matches have been posted to the calendar yet, but the general preview of MRA matches can be found here.

If you are looking to waive the 6 month probationary period before qualifying for the 200 & 50 yard ranges, my recommendation would be to stop by during office hours and ask. The worst they can say is no.

Even if that is the case, you can go out onto one of the outdoor ranges as the "guest" of another member who has access to that range. As with any guest, This would potentially allow you to get some longer range practice in before the probationary period has ended. Just make sure that in accordance with the rules,

I have also heard of shooters participating in one of the scheduled matches on an outdoor range, and using that in lieu of the outdoor qualification. I do not recall if this was during their 6 month new member probationary period or not. It does not appear that the 2016 matches have been posted to the calendar yet, but the general preview of MRA matches can be found here.

wow that's a lot of unnecessary nonsense to put up with. Too bad bc I was also looking at this club but forget that noise.

This is the closest place to my town and I was really excited about possibly joining.

But I was really unimpressed when I visited recently:
* Old guys that like to hear themselves talk
* Annoying range rules
* Long unused crap all over the place on the floors, tables, etc.
* Long waiting list, plus probationary period

I understand it gets the job done for some. But it seems like they go out of their way to make the place unwelcoming to younger shooters, women, and those interested in defensive handgun.

In a word: fuddy

I am sorry to hear that we failed to make the best impression possible on your recent visit. To address some of your comments:
  • As the oldest active gun club in America, we have quite a few older members, and they certainly have some stories to tell. I choose to see it as a valuable resource rather than a hindrance. Many of them have been shooting, reloading, and tinkering for longer than I have been alive. If you don't want to shoot the breeze with the other members, there are plenty of folks that sign-in, shoot, and sign-out without engaging in the "social aspect" of the club.
  • The range rules are there to keep the members safe and the to keep the club operational. That being said, the rules are periodically reviewed and modified. As a member, if you want to see something changed, you can advocate to make that happen.
  • Currently one of the ranges is undergoing significant renovation, and as a result, decades worth of equipment has been relocated on the property. Right now some of that is sitting in the observation room of the Loeb range, but this is a temporary situation.
  • The wait list is long because the demand is high. MRA is one of the few clubs that processes new members more than once a month, and the orientation process is designed to ensure all members meet a baseline level of safety and responsibility. The probationary period is to ensure this high level of safety before a member can utilize the ranges where failure to meet these standards could have more severe consequences.

There are groups within the club that may cater more specifically to your interests. Given the size of our membership, I am confident that you could find those among us who share your interests.

For women, we have the Women's Instructional Shoot every June that is specifically set up to introduce/welcome women to the shooting sports. There is also the Cuff Cup in July, a women only pistol match. As far as I am aware, women participate in all of the organized teams/activities at the club.

For younger shooters, we have a junior rifle and pistol program, both of which compete at the highest levels nationally.

If you are focused on defensive handgun, and looking for an opportunity to draw from the holster on the range, I would highly recommend the Static Steel matches held twice a month on Monday nights.

Mass Rifle is a volunteer run organization, so if there is something you think could be improved, we welcome you to step up as a member and help us improve it.

Anyone know whats involved in qualifying for the Summa Range, 100/200yd? I plan to sign up for qualification soon. Is it pretty much the same as qualifying for the McLaughlin sans pistol shooting?

Anyone know whats involved in qualifying for the Summa Range, 100/200yd? I plan to sign up for qualification soon. Is it pretty much the same as qualifying for the McLaughlin sans pistol shooting?

You take a class, and I believe a test on the rules (easy) then you qualify shooting on the range. I forget the qualification exactly but it's probably something on the order of firing 5 shots at a target at 200 yards and getting all of them in the black which is about a 24"-30" circle. I qualified 5 years ago so my memory is foggy. I just remember it as not being too difficult.

Qualifying on the Summa Range (100/200 yards) involves a review of the range specific rules, and demonstrating your ability to consistently hit the target with your rifle at 200 yards. This can be done from the bench using a rest, and there is no prohibition on the use of optics. The qualifications are generally held on Sunday mornings (except for during the winter), and they require prior signup. The first qualifications for this year will be held in April, and they are accepting signups now. If you have more specific questions, stop by the office, or give them a call during Office Hours.

Thanks guys. I'll head there again on Sunday, was there last night, WED, probably could have done it then, to sign up. Got a new AR15 SPR that I need to sight in at the 50yd range first. Excited to finally qualify for this range.

Is it really 1 round at a time? Can't load 10rd mag and fire off 1 at a time just at a slower pace?

Thanks guys. I'll head there again on Sunday, was there last night, WED, probably could have done it then, to sign up. Got a new AR15 SPR that I need to sight in at the 50yd range first. Excited to finally qualify for this range.

Is it really 1 round at a time? Can't load 10rd mag and fire off 1 at a time just at a slower pace?
Literally one round loaded at a time.

http://www.massrifle.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=90

Firearms will be loaded with one cartridge only.

I am sorry to hear that we failed to make the best impression possible on your recent visit. To address some of your comments:
  • As the oldest active gun club in America, we have quite a few older members, and they certainly have some stories to tell. I choose to see it as a valuable resource rather than a hindrance. Many of them have been shooting, reloading, and tinkering for longer than I have been alive. If you don't want to shoot the breeze with the other members, there are plenty of folks that sign-in, shoot, and sign-out without engaging in the "social aspect" of the club.
  • The range rules are there to keep the members safe and the to keep the club operational. That being said, the rules are periodically reviewed and modified. As a member, if you want to see something changed, you can advocate to make that happen.
  • Currently one of the ranges is undergoing significant renovation, and as a result, decades worth of equipment has been relocated on the property. Right now some of that is sitting in the observation room of the Loeb range, but this is a temporary situation.
  • The wait list is long because the demand is high. MRA is one of the few clubs that processes new members more than once a month, and the orientation process is designed to ensure all members meet a baseline level of safety and responsibility. The probationary period is to ensure this high level of safety before a member can utilize the ranges where failure to meet these standards could have more severe consequences.

There are groups within the club that may cater more specifically to your interests. Given the size of our membership, I am confident that you could find those among us who share your interests.

For women, we have the Women's Instructional Shoot every June that is specifically set up to introduce/welcome women to the shooting sports. There is also the Cuff Cup in July, a women only pistol match. As far as I am aware, women participate in all of the organized teams/activities at the club.

For younger shooters, we have a junior rifle and pistol program, both of which compete at the highest levels nationally.

If you are focused on defensive handgun, and looking for an opportunity to draw from the holster on the range, I would highly recommend the Static Steel matches held twice a month on Monday nights.

Mass Rifle is a volunteer run organization, so if there is something you think could be improved, we welcome you to step up as a member and help us improve it.

Very well explained, Sir.

a fellow MRA member.

Very well explained, Sir.

a fellow MRA member.

i agree, and having shot at a number of other clubs in the area, i am happy to be an MRA member.
there are fancier clubs out there, but they seem to have similar, or even more rules. there are also clubs out there with much more relaxed rules, but their equipment (or lack of) shows what that gets you.

Obviously you have to have rules. My club has a lot of rules too. But with newer and younger members stepping up some suggestions have been made and accepted that makes the club more member/user friendly.

However and having said that....and at my club in particular.....we have to be very aware of our neighbors. Some of them as close as 2 quarter acre house lots away from our main club house and indoor range. Everyone who lives near the club knew the club was there before they purchased their houses. Even so, they still have rights as well when it comes to safety and disturbing the peace.

As such we have no outdoor shooting after dusk obviously and no indoor shooting after 9pm. Some would say that those are fudd rules but it works well and we co-exist peacefully with the neighbors.

You have to adapt to the surroundings. I often wish my club bought half the town way back in the day. It's just that nobody can see the future and changes the towns have gone through over the years where developers bought land really close to the clubs and then anti's try to shut you down and squeeze you out.

So some rules may seem excessive but you have to protect the peace with the neighbors....even if it's a highway or an office park.

most clubs won't let shoot a shotgun,machinegun or highpower rifle on the indoor range. you can on the loeb range. love those fudd rules!

Back
Top Bottom