• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

So I've had my LTC now for over a month and have yet to join a club. MRA is the closest club to me and I like how they have a 24/7 indoor pistol range. I actually sort of know two people (friends of friends) who are members of the range but due to their extremely busy schedule we haven't been able to sync up for some MRA range time. On the Sunday morning tours, do they let you test out any of the ranges? [wink] I assume the answer will most likely be no but I figured I'd ask. Also how many questions are on the written test and is it hard?

You'll need to bug your friends for a test drive. The tour during office hours is just a tour. Although if you want to shoot trap (Wednesday eve's) or sporting clays (Sunday mornings) that's open to the public.

The test isn't anything to worry about. It's on the range rules - you get the hand out to study in advance. No trick questions (28) . [coffee]

You'll need to bug your friends for a test drive. The tour during office hours is just a tour. Although if you want to shoot trap (Wednesday eve's) or sporting clays (Sunday mornings) that's open to the public.
The test isn't anything to worry about. It's on the range rules - you get the hand out to study in advance. No trick questions (28) . [coffee]

Thanks. I'll keep bugging them!

Since you brought up trap/clay shooting, is it generally frowned upon to shoot trap/clay with shotguns like the Keltec KSG? I only ask because I really enjoyed shooting trap at the WSA open house however I'm short with short arms so on most shotguns the length of pull w/ factory stocks is too long. I'm usually barely able to rack it or have to un-shoulder the firearm to do so. I really wanted a Benelli M4 but after handling one at the Marlborough Gun Show, along with Remingtons and Mossbergs, I realized unless I replace the stocks I might get the best performance from something like a Keltec KSG for my build.

You could try it. I think trap would be easier than sporting clays.

If you do come by, talk to Billy T. at the field house. He can give you great advice/options.

I noticed on the calendar "Facility closed" 10/04 - 10/05. Does that mean that the access/club and all ranges will be completely closed to members?

Yes. Signing up for the emails helps quite a bit if you do not make it there often enough to commiserate with the others. It also helps with unscheduled events that may need your attention.

[cheers]

This is a reminder for the event detailed below.

FACILITY CLOSED 10/4, 10/5, 10/7 & 10/8

Description:
The entire MRA facility will be closed Friday 10/4, Saturday 10/5, Monday 10/7 and Tuesday 10/8 to allow for completion of the parking lot paving project. This include all ranges and the main member area.
The facility and all ranges will be open Sunday 10/6.

update:

I noticed on the calendar "Facility closed" 10/04 - 10/05. Does that mean that the access/club and all ranges will be completely closed to members?

Yes. Signing up for the emails helps quite a bit if you do not make it there often enough to commiserate with the others. It also helps with unscheduled events that may need your attention.

[cheers]

This is a reminder for the event detailed below.

FACILITY CLOSED 10/4, 10/5, 10/7 & 10/8

Description:
The entire MRA facility will be closed Friday 10/4, Saturday 10/5, Monday 10/7 and Tuesday 10/8 to allow for completion of the parking lot paving project. This include all ranges and the main member area.
The facility and all ranges will be open Sunday 10/6.

DELAY:
Update:

The completion of the parking lot project has been delayed. The new dates for closure of the facility, ranges and parking lot will now be Tuesday 10/8, Wednesday 10/9 and Thursday 10/10. No access will be available to the property during those days.

The club is accepting new members. The office is open on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings but you can download a copy of the application from the MRA's website: Massachusetts RIfle Association (there's more information on the website).

In short, when you come in you'll present / fill out the application, get your picture taken, pay and set up a time for orientation (range rule test & basic shooting / safety test) and interview (generally 2 weeks following your orientation).

Next Sunday is the annual Fun Shoot so things might be busy but there'll be things to do, food to eat and a tour of the place if you'd like.

I hope that this helps!

The club is accepting new members. The office is open on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings but you can download a copy of the application from the MRA's website: Massachusetts RIfle Association (there's more information on the website).

In short, when you come in you'll present / fill out the application, get your picture taken, pay and set up a time for orientation (range rule test & basic shooting / safety test) and interview (generally 2 weeks following your orientation).

Next Sunday is the annual Fun Shoot so things might be busy but there'll be things to do, food to eat and a tour of the place if you'd like.

I hope that this helps!

It does thank you.

Also, this Sunday is the 17th Annual Fun Day [thumbsup]

Massachusetts Rifle Association- 17th Annual Fun Day
Sponsored by Four Seasons Firearms

Sunday, October 20th, 2013, 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
FREE LUNCH served 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (free hot breakfast too [coffee])

Over $2,000 in prizes will be awarded! (Only one prize awarded per person, per event)
Winner of each event wins $100 gift certificate to Four Seasons. Remaining prizes will be awarded on the Lewis system
EVERYONE has a chance to win!

Events:
Pope Range: We supply the .22 caliber revolver and ammo, you test your skill (or try your luck).
$3 per ticket: Pin Tops: 5 bowling pin tops, 2 runs per ticket. Fastest combined time wins!
Hanging Clays: 5 clay birds, 2 runs per ticket. Fastest combined time wins!

Loeb Range: Action Shooting. Bring your own firearm and ammo.
All firearms must be unloaded and contained when approaching the line.
Centerfire Plate Rack- Knock down 5 steel plates (3 runs per $3 ticket). Fastest combined time wins!
.22lr Plate Rack- Knock down 5 steel plates (3 runs per $3 ticket). Fastest combined time wins!

Trap Field: $10 per round, 25 shots. Highest score wins! Hit the "Mystery Bird" and win a FREE ROUND of trap

McLaughlin Range: Precision Rifle at 50 yards. $3 per ticket.

Fazio Range: Kid-friendly air pistol challenges - free. Come meet our outstanding Junior Pistol Program participants.

MRA Fun Shoot Top Shooter Challenge! $5 entry fee.* Winner will receive choice of t-shirt or sweatshirt with MRA logo and “MRA Top Shooter 2013”emblem, as well as an engraved name plate on the MRA Fun Shoot trophy in the trophy case. Shooter of highest combined score in pin tops, hanging clays, and high power rifle wins bragging rights for a year!
*Tickets for each event not included.

Demonstrations: from the Walnut Hill Mountain Men black powder team, the MRA Safety and Education Program, Smallbore Rifle, and .22lr Gallery Pistol Shooting. All are welcome!

NOTE: All participants will be supervised by licensed club members. While there will be air pistols available for all ages, .22 rifles and shotguns will be limited to those 15 years or older. In addition, pursuant to MGL c. 140, no firearms can be possessed by those prohibited by law and only persons 21 years or older with identification will be allowed to use pistols and/or large capacity rifles. If you do not agree with the law, vote accordingly. We will follow the law as it currently exists. THE DECISION OF RANGE SAFETY OFFICERS IS FINAL.

Massachusetts Rifle Association 290R Salem St., Rifle Range Rd., Woburn, MA 781-933-2138

So, this may be a dumb question: I've shot trap only once and enjoyed it immensely. I don't own my own shotgun yet. Would this prevent me from participating on Sunday?

So, this may be a dumb question: I've shot trap only once and enjoyed it immensely. I don't own my own shotgun yet. Would this prevent me from participating on Sunday?

I do believe there are a couple club shotguns available. However most everyone there is willing to help a new shooter out and if you ask Im sure someone would let you use there gun.

Have fun
Joe

Are you referring to this Sundays event! If so, no. We will have a club gun.

On other days it's only available for members.

You probably don't want to go on Sunday. If I remember correctly, Sunday is not trap. Its sporting clays / 5 station. This game is MUCH harder than trap. It may not be the best thing if you are new to the shotgun.

Trap is Wednesday night.

Give the office a call to confirm the info I've given you before acting on it. The office is open Wednesday evening and Sunday morning.

How do I get Match Results?

Hi all.

I shot in the Anniversary match on Sunday and just realized I have no idea how to find out how I did.

Any thoughts from any members?

Thanks,

Don

p.s. God those German ring targets are tough.

Hi all.

I shot in the Anniversary match on Sunday and just realized I have no idea how to find out how I did.

Any thoughts from any members?

Thanks,

Don

p.s. God those German ring targets are tough.

The results should have been posted around the corner from the front trophy case following the match. I can try to get a hold of them Wednesday night and can send you a PM if you'd like.

I agree... nasty German Ring Target (but a fun match with some great people).

Back
Top Bottom