Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

The club provides cardboard target backers.

There are usually targets there with an honor system can to put money into.

You need a tool to adjust the signts on a Sig 320?? Not just a screw driver??
Thanks. Yeah the sights need a pusher tool.

I'm not a member at Mass Rifle, but I've got a MGW Pro. Would have to double check to see if I have the shoe for the P320, but you're welcome to use it if you'd like.

I had a question. I am a long time member and qualified on the 50 and 100/200 ranges. I have never shot trap at MRA. I shoot trap at WSA typically. I have a friend visiting and wanted to shoot some clay targets. Can members show up to the trap range when it isn’t regular trap hours and use a hand thrower and use their own targets to shoot?

I had a question. I am a long time member and qualified on the 50 and 100/200 ranges. I have never shot trap at MRA. I shoot trap at WSA typically. I have a friend visiting and wanted to shoot some clay targets. Can members show up to the trap range when it isn’t regular trap hours and use a hand thrower and use their own targets to shoot?
Why not do it at WSA?

Because I want to use the MRA indoor range for rifle, pistol and then the 200 yard range before shooting some clay targets. I am not qualified at the 200 yard range at WSA and can't shoot rifles indoors at WSA.

I couldn't get the rules on my phone they way they are published but on my PC I found the rules state that no hand or foot throwers so I guess I answered my own question with a no.

I am a member as well and AFAIK the answer is no, you cannot hand throw targets in either of the two ranges and it cannot be used outside outside regular trap hours (Wednesday at 6 pm and Sunday at 10 am). Again - AFAIK! I could be wrong.
You also need to use the ammo that the club sells.
That being said - you can definitely bring your friend on Wednesday or Sunday to shoot trap.

Just a friendly reminder to make sure you have your ear pro on before entering the Pope range. I was shooting at MRA the last two weekends and both times, various folks came into the range with no ear pro. Luckily, each time this happened, I was in the middle of loading mags. I gave each person a reminder NOT to do this again. Always assume the range is hot. It's very easy, with the pope range especially, to assume the range is cold if you dont hear anyone shooting, or cant see anyone from the door window before entering. MRA should consider putting up a sign or something that verifies if the range is hot/cold to prevent this from happening. It's clearly an issue.

I've been on the range rules committee for a couple of years. Its been a learning experience. Here's the problem. If you create an opportunity for someone to screw up, they will. If you provide a way for people to indicate if the range is in use or not, they will forget to put it to "in use". Others will forget to put it back to "not in use".

Better to just placard the range that you need to have eye and ear pro on before entering.

I can't comment how visibly those signs are currently. If they are large and obvious, then its the other person's problem. Note when they came in. Directors will check the cameras, access control system, figure out who it is and have a discussion with the person.

If there isn't anything indicating need for eyes and ears outside the entrance, then we should add it. I highly doubt this is the case. The place already has too many signs and placards.

Perhaps they can install a red or green light (or both) on the wall before entering the pope range with red indicating a hot range vs. green cold or something to that extent. It's easier to flip a switch than to hang a sign and it seems like a better solution than someone walking on the range and getting their ears rung. I get that folks will forget to flip the switch from time to time but this seems like an opportunity, with a relatively easy fix, for us to do something because it's clearly an issue.

The problem is that having the switch in the wrong place is worse than there being no switch.
Just follow the rules and put your eyes and ears on before opening the door. Super simple.

Also, if the light breaks or malfunctions, now the club has liability. Follow the rules. If you don't follow the rules and you injure your eyes or ears, it is your fault. Plain and simple.

Im at the Pope every weekend (when it's crowded). Vast majority of members follow rules to a T. Once in a while, a member needs a minor safety reminder, but overall, the range is good to go.

Birdshot only if you shoot trap or 5 stand on Wed and Sun.

No buckshot.

slugs ok on several ranges. If you are a member, look in the range specific rules for specifics. The problem is they don't want the ranges getting shot up by people who don't understand that a shot column spreads.

On another topic. This morning, around 10 AM I arrived at MRA planning to blast off a quick 50 rounds on Loeb. I've just rebuilt my reloader and wanted to test my first batch since the rebuild.

I forgot eyes and ears. A gentleman I met in the parking lot was kind enough to loan me a set. He said he'd be on the 100/200.

When I came out 20 min later, I went out to the range and he wasn't there. I went outside and his car was gone from the parking lot.

He said he was waiting on a friend. I'm guessing the friend didn't show. Either way, if you are the guy or the friend, the muffs are in the lost and found.

On another topic. This morning, around 10 AM I arrived at MRA planning to blast off a quick 50 rounds on Loeb. I've just rebuilt my reloader and wanted to test my first batch since the rebuild.

I forgot eyes and ears. A gentleman I met in the parking lot was kind enough to loan me a set. He said he'd be on the 100/200.

When I came out 20 min later, I went out to the range and he wasn't there. I went outside and his car was gone from the parking lot.

He said he was waiting on a friend. I'm guessing the friend didn't show. Either way, if you are the guy or the friend, the muffs are in the lost and found.
The sign-in book may tell you who the gentleman is.

I just joined MRA recently. Looking forward to participating. Took my Moon island test in mid Dec... so expecting to show up in April though hopefully sooner.

Does anyone who belongs to the club own an SW41? If so, I'd love to hear what you think of the platform, and perhaps how it might compare to an Mark IV.

Last edited:
Or show up on a Wednesday evening or Sunday morning and meet some of the officers in the club. This is when they do office hours.

Chitty Chitty - IM me when you get your LTC. I'd be happy to take you down.

Re the model 41. I've shot them. I also have a mid 80s Ruger Mk2 Government model (Model 678G) that I received as an 18th birthday present.

The gun is more accurate than I am. The trigger is excellent with a Volqhartssen from the mid 80s.

The beauty of the 41 its beauty. But I've also seen new ones and the finish quality doesn't even begin to compare to the old ones.
The trick to buying a 41 is to find an old one that hasn't seen a ton of use.

BEcause that's quite a trick, I've never purchased one.

Smith and Wesson is now selling a Performance Center 41, which is ridiculous. This is a premium gun. They ALL should be PC guns.

dcmdon - I wholeheartedly agree, the 41 is just plain beautiful. I love well made items and the 41 checks all of my emotional boxes. Over the last few weeks, I met up with a bunch of folks here on NRE and tried out a full suite of 22LRs including the 41. After trying it out, I came to the realization that I'm just not a nuanced enough shooter to understand it's value beyond it's sheer beauty and ultimately ended up buying a MkIV Target (blued) with the rose-wood grips. It's also quite pretty, and I spent the difference on a 9mm. Knowing myself I might still look to get a 41 in the future but for now I have much to learn on the MkIV. I bought the MkIV from Jim in the 22lr league (he had it listed on the bulletin board in the lounge). I heard there's an away event this wednesday in Danvers or something and but will show up to the next .22LR event on the 24th. Do you plan to be there? If so I'd love to say hello.

Or show up on a Wednesday evening or Sunday morning and meet some of the officers in the club. This is when they do office hours.

Chitty Chitty - IM me when you get your LTC. I'd be happy to take you down.

Re the model 41. I've shot them. I also have a mid 80s Ruger Mk2 Government model (Model 678G) that I received as an 18th birthday present.

The gun is more accurate than I am. The trigger is excellent with a Volqhartssen from the mid 80s.

The beauty of the 41 its beauty. But I've also seen new ones and the finish quality doesn't even begin to compare to the old ones.
The trick to buying a 41 is to find an old one that hasn't seen a ton of use.

BEcause that's quite a trick, I've never purchased one.

Smith and Wesson is now selling a Performance Center 41, which is ridiculous. This is a premium gun. They ALL should be PC guns.

I haven't competed in a .22 bullseye league in years. Although I should. Its the best way to work to master the fundamentals. Which are (by definition) foundational for every other shooting activity.

My dad was good friends with both Bill Sr and Bill Jr of Sturm Ruger. My gun was picked out of production by whoever was managing the the work that day. Since all MK678Gs were test fired for accuracy at the factory, he picked me one that came with a single ragged hole for a test target.

It is much much more accurate than I am, especially if I feed it match grade ammo. As it is, I simply run CCI standard velocity, since its reliable, reasonably clean and very accurate.

We used to go down to the factory in Southport, CT to have lunch with Bill Jr.

I can't find the invoice for my Mk2, but several years later, when I had caught the sporting clays bug, my dad wanted to give it a try, so my sisters and I bought him a Red Label. I picked it up in Southport. Bill Jr, had called the factory in NH and had them select a gun that centered its pattern perfectly when pattern tested and mate it up to the best wood they had. It is gorgeous.

Here's the invoice for that gun. Its a cool piece of history. Look at the order number. RugerRedLabelInvoiceREDACTED.jpg

It think it's about time the MRA adds some rifle steel plates to the 50, 100 and 200 outdoor ranges and knock down plates added to the outdoor pistol range.

It's a real disappointment that 3 visits to another range that has real steel audible feedback was more fun than the 10 years I've been a MRA member.

Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom