• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Or Wednesday Evening, just go into the office
probably not much of a chance, they do interviews first...

Hi Everyone, first post here. I'm looking to join MRA but it looks like the website is down and no luck calling the club. I did hear on the recording that there are some office hours this Sunday (9:30am to 12pm). Should I just stop by during those hours? Also what are the chances of getting membership before November 5th? (I'm guessing pretty slim from reading some of the previous posts). Any tips/info greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help!

Hi Everyone, first post here. I'm looking to join MRA but it looks like the website is down and no luck calling the club. I did hear on the recording that there are some office hours this Sunday (9:30am to 12pm). Should I just stop by during those hours? Also what are the chances of getting membership before November 5th? (I'm guessing pretty slim from reading some of the previous posts). Any tips/info greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help!

If you stop by during office hours, you can fill out an application and sign up for an orientation appointment. Currently you can not be scheduled for an orientation in the same month as you submit your application, so if you come down this Sunday you will most likely be offered a slot in November. I do not believe that the November schedule is full yet, but the best way to find out is to pay a visit Sunday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Yea I figured that would be the case. I'll be there tomorrow to fill out the apps and hopefully sign up for an orientation.

when is the website going to be fixed?

Warning: file_get_contents(index.html) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/76/8470176/html/index.php on line 10

Anyone from the bored here? I never got a renewal and I haven't paid yet for this year, I forgot all about it. Can I go down on Sunday and Pay my renewal?

Hey guys...I'm an MRA member for a couple years but was looking for assistance with sighting an AR as well as some pistols. Would anyone be able to offer any assistance with this or direct me where to get some help? Please PM me here if possible. Thanks in advance.

You can use Loeb (indoor) range to sight your rifle at 75 ft only, pistol is any distance. There are bench rests available.
Once you qualify for Summa (outdoor) range, 100 and 200 yd, you might need to fine-tune for elevationt.

If you're looking for guidance on how to sight, YouTube was a good source for me.
Or PM me and I can meet you there. :)

Fazio looks nice, the air system is quiet yet strong.
Manual target movers, but for 50ft it’s not bad.

Can’t compare to how it was before, as I joined after renovation started.

Good to hear. I did the electrical design with a company I have since left. You could imagine my face when that job got slapped on my desk!

You can use Loeb (indoor) range to sight your rifle at 75 ft only, pistol is any distance.

Even pistols need to be hung at 30 feet minimum... the first red marker, unless there is a special event sanctioned by the MRA. Keep moving the target back until the target is illuminated by the baffle lights. It doesn't matter if it is a semi-auto .22 or a .44 revolver.

Thinking about signing up for this place. Is the consensus that this place is still worth it? Are there downsides that I absolutely must be aware of?

Thinking about signing up for this place. Is the consensus that this place is still worth it? Are there downsides that I absolutely must be aware of?

I'm a big fan and have been a member for 6 years. Great facilities and great people. Just be aware... we are VERY strict on safety. The indoor 25 yard range is open 24 hours a day with key fob access. There are no RSOs except for sanctioned club events. You're expected to know and abide by the rules and be a responsible shooter. The club is under 24 hour hi-resolution video surveillance. Read the club rules and follow them and you'll love it there.

The next Range Rules Test with room for applicants is in early April. All of March is full. The process involves filing an application and paying the first year of dues, then getting a tour. Then, studying the booklet and coming in for the range rules test. After you pass you will go onto the indoor 25 yard range and qualify with the MRA's .22 revolver, semi-auto pistol, and bolt action rifle. The club provides the ammo, target, ears and eyes. Once you demonstrate safe firearms handling you'll sit for an interview with a veteran member. Then lastly getting your key fob and having fun!

-r

Last edited:
What do you mean by VERY strict? Is it to the point where RSOs are overkill and make for an unpleasurable experience? Can you give me some examples? Are the ranges crowded to the point where you have to wait in line just to shoot?

What do you mean by VERY strict? Is it to the point where RSOs are overkill and make for an unpleasurable experience? Can you give me some examples? Are the ranges crowded to the point where you have to wait in line just to shoot?

As I mentioned above there aren't actually any RSO's except for club events like competitions or outdoor trap shooting. All the members are expected to know the rules but there are also signs everywhere in case you're unclear about something specific. When in doubt, ask another member or simply don't do it. Basically just be safe according to the MRA booklet and there won't ever be a problem. This club has been around for about a century and I think I speak for most members that we pride ourselves on the fact that everyone there cares enough to do the right thing to the point where RSO's aren't needed in day to day shooting and we can be open 24/7 without supervision. We are all adults after all.

A few of the Rules/Policies to consider...
- Rapid fire is a grey area based on common sense: Shoot within your personal limits of control. In other words, shots MUST be on target. Slow down if you're not hitting your mark. As obvious as this sounds... some people don't get it. Damage to the baffle system needs to be reported with an incident form so its on record.
- Hang pistol targets minimum of 30 feet unless there is a club sanctioned event where you get permission to shoot shorter range. Small bore rifles like 22's are a minimum of 50 feet and high powered MUST be hung at the end of the range at 75 feet, even when sighting in. Yes, 223 is considered high powered.
- All calibers are allowed on the indoor 25 yard range except for 50 BMG or greater. Shotguns must fire slugs, hung at 75 feet and can only be loaded with three at a time. No other capacity restrictions are in effect on the 25 yard range.
- NO TRACER or AP ROUNDS.
- No targets that look like people or bleed. Splatter targets like shoot-n-see's are ok. Silhouettes are ok of course, pictures of the ex-wife are not.
- You are restricted from the 200 yard (Summa) and 50 yard (McLaughlin) outdoor ranges until you qualify on them. You're allowed to get on the appointment list to do so after being a member for 6 months. Therefore the 50 foot outdoor pistol only range (Pope) is the only outdoor range available to new members independently. These outdoor ranges have very specific rules of their own that can be found in the booklet you'll get when you fill out your application. Such as no shooting after the official sunset time for the area.
- The upstairs small bore range (Fazio) is for STANDARD VELOCITY 22 ONLY. High velocity rounds will go through the backstop. All targets up there must be hung at the end of the range at 50 feet.
- There is a cleaning bench in the observation room, and its the only place cleaning is permitted. NO handling of guns in the lounge. If someone wants to show you their new scope or anything like that, go back to the observation room where cleaning is permitted and un-case/ un-holster there.
- Recent rule regarding un-casing guns on the 25 yard (Loeb) indoor range. You have to un-case all firearms at the firing line. You can no longer leave the cases behind the safety line and carry even unloaded firearms across the room to the bench.

The guest policy and other policies can also be found in the booklet you'll get when you fill out your application. There are office hours tonight from 6pm-8pm. I'll be there if you want to come check it out.

-r

Oh regarding the crowding question... the range is open 24/7 and there are peak times and low times like anywhere. The 25 yard indoor range (Loeb) is the most popular and there are 11 or 12 lanes. But on nice days between the outdoor and indoor ranges I've never had to wait except maybe on an occasional Saturday or Sunday at peak times. Even then it's not typically a long wait.

I really like the new locked brass buckets in the Loeb range. The members of the MRA have been supporting the side hustle of several brass monkeys and it is nice to see it going to a better cause (Crew 357).

I really like the new locked brass buckets in the Loeb range. The members of the MRA have been supporting the side hustle of several brass monkeys and it is nice to see it going to a better cause (Crew 357).

I don't like them at all.

I'd much rather someone actually use the brass for reloading than it get melted down "for a good cause"

It's especially infuriating when someone is "helpful" and sweeping up the brass and dumping it into the bins. I save and reuse my brass, so when someone effectively steals it (because I can't get it back) it makes me unhappy.

If I have to root through the brass bin to find my brass, that's marginally annoying, but I wouldn't complain. When it's gone forever when someone does that, it makes me mad.

Caldwell® Brass Trap : Cabela's
I don't like them at all.

I'd much rather someone actually use the brass for reloading than it get melted down "for a good cause"

It's especially infuriating when someone is "helpful" and sweeping up the brass and dumping it into the bins. I save and reuse my brass, so when someone effectively steals it (because I can't get it back) it makes me unhappy.

If I have to root through the brass bin to find my brass, that's marginally annoying, but I wouldn't complain. When it's gone forever when someone does that, it makes me mad.

Milk. You lost a few pieces of brass to a newbie that hasn't learned proper range etiquette. Don't get mad, make it a teachable moment and explain to them that you reload.

I would gladly give my brass to anyone on the line who is actively shooting, if they asked me nicely. If no one asks me, its going in the locked bucket.

"It's for the Children"

I dont' like the locked containers at all. I reload 9mm, .45 and .223. I've got enough 9mm and .45 to last me a lifetime. So I usually give to the bucket when I shoot 9mm. But I will dumpster dive for .223. Its give and take. I liked it better that way.

I've had many experiences with "helpful" people sweeping up my brass and putting it in the bucket. I politely tell them this is not helpful, but it seems with the constant influx of new shooters (otherwise a good thing), it never stops.

Don

New member here. Just got my key fob this morning, see you guys on the range.

I was hoping to do some shooting after I got qualified but did not bring any targets with me :(. Also, what's the policy on cardboard backstop? Is it generally supplied or is it encouraged for members to bring their own?

Also, if anyone generous has a sight adjustment tool for the sig p320c and willing to let me borrow it at the range- I'll buy you a beer :)

Back
Top Bottom