• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Also depending on where you live, woburn sportsmen might be in your driving range, 50 foot indoor range, they support action sports and I believe they are looking into action pits. Again fairly strict rules apply. Strong youth programs if you have kids, the same with Danvers

Woburn Sportsman's has action pits, but they're not for general use, they're used when there's an IDPA match (some organized event)

The range rules say that only MRA approved targets can be used (and NRA certified ones too). Which targets are approved? I know I can't use any humanoid resembling targets (i.e. Silhouettes, zombies, ninjas, the clown from The Poltergeist movie, etc.) but what else is off limits? I'm looking to join soon and was going to order a stack of targets separate from that. I'd hate to buy a stack and find out they are no good.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know I can't use any humanoid resembling targets (i.e. Silhouettes, zombies, ninjas, the clown from The Poltergeist movie, etc.) but what else is off limits?
Why? Does MRA hold a club LTC or have a rule against these sort of targets?

The range rules say that only MRA approved targets can be used (and NRA certified ones too). Which targets are approved? I know I can't use any humanoid resembling targets (i.e. Silhouettes, zombies, ninjas, the clown from The Poltergeist movie, etc.) but what else is off limits? I'm looking to join soon and was going to order a stack of targets separate from that. I'd hate to buy a stack and find out they are no good.

Any tips?

MRA approved targets probably means the clubs plate rack, or bowling pins.

Just your standard pistol shooting, nothing fancy. I have been going to Original Bobs in Salsbury for a few months now because it's a public range. Now I am looking to join up somewhere since I want to go shooting often. I know MRA has outdoor and rifle ranges but thats not a huge selling point for me.

My criteria would be accessibility (both are open 24/7 i believe and within 20 minutes of my house), rental options, pistol range quality, and guest policy (would my guest have to pay, who i can bring etc)

Sounds like your criteria is similar to mine. With no traffic it's 20 minutes from my house (Beverly) and 25 minutes from work (Rowley). If you don't need an outdoor range and shoot at odd hours, the Loeb Range is for you. It's only 25 yards but there are no round limits, except Shotgun, load three rounds and slugs only. No 50 BMG or bigger. As far as guest policy, the club has a large membership so they don't want a member waiting while guests are hogging the lanes, which is understandable. I hardly have time to shoot anymore but whenever I do, I have one or more with me. It's usually after 11:00 PM so there's never more than another two or three people. One time a few years back I was shooting with my daughter and two of her cousins and a big group came in. We had been alone and were using four lanes. We just bunched up to two lanes. Most times you'll wind up trying another members gun and vice versa. Very friendly members @ MRA. I've shot @ Bob's plenty and I've been swept too many times to remember. I shop @ Bob's but rarely shoot there.

Why? Does MRA hold a club LTC or have a rule against these sort of targets?

I asked about this years ago and what I was told is that they don't care about what is on the target, rather they care about the size of the target. They don't want full sized six foot targets where people might shoot at the lower parts. They just want reasonable sized targets so that if you shoot at it the round will hit the backstop and not the floor or ceiling.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You've basically got it right. Add in the caveats from Mudfish's post (#173) and you are good to go.
No people, target hung so shots impact the berm.

I asked about this years ago and what I was told is that they don't care about what is on the target, rather they care about the size of the target. They don't want full sized six foot targets where people might shoot at the lower parts. They just want reasonable sized targets so that if you shoot at it the round will hit the backstop and not the floor or ceiling.

You've basically got it right. Add in the caveats from Mudfish's post (#173) and you are good to go.
No people, target hung so shots impact the berm.

Thanks to you both. I appreciate the info.

I've shot @ Bob's plenty and I've been swept too many times to remember. I shop @ Bob's but rarely shoot there.

Bob's is actually a pretty good place to shoot now, since an LTC or FID is now required in order to shoot. The last few times I've been there it seemed as though they keep a closer eye on the range than they used to and the shooters seem more aware of safety rules. If the shooters have LTC's or FID's, you figure they've at least taken a basic safety course. BTW, you can shoot pretty much what you want up to, and including, magnums and .50 BMG, with targets as close as 20 feet (or maybe closer, not sure.)

Thanks to you both. I appreciate the info.

Mudfish got the correct answer and it still applies.
One correction on a different post on the subject: silhouette targets are approved (the reason for the NRA or MRA approved rule is that there's a whole lot of targets that are okay to shoot but do not have an NRA stamp on them).

Just want to give a shout-out for the folks working at the trap range today! Even though I am new to clay shooting (~a dozen times or so), I had a great time with the new Wobble thrower. From what I heard, every likes it too. I know that it is a loaner, but it would be a great addiction (oops, I mean addition) to the club! James

Heads up:

The lobe range is closed. There is a problem with the air handler system. The maintenance company has been contacted. Another eblast will be sent as soon as the range is fully operational.

- - - Updated - - -

They also spelled the range incorrectly. LOEB

BRUH

Last edited by a moderator:
Any suggestions on how to get into trap on Wednesdays...I shot Trap once and 5 Stand once a couple of years ago, but I really have no idea what I'm doing!

I'm no pro, but Billy and the other range officers on the shotgun fields will usually give you some helpful pointers if you tell them you are a beginner and looking for feedback. Other than that all I can offer is that, like most shooting, it is definitely a perishable skill. Maintaining gains requires regular practice (at least for those like me without natural talent).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good read especially the part where they considered taking the MRA through Eminent Domain. WTF

https://www3.epa.gov/region1/superfund/sites/industriplex/213091Appendix6part14.pdf

This wouldn't be the first time MRA lost land to eminent domain. The way I understand it, the original MRA was over 50 acres with several more ranges than exist today, two of them were at 1,000 yards. When the state put Rt.128 in the took a large portion. I believe part of the Woburn Mall is now on the original range.

Wow - I was member of MRA for a long time before moving to NH. The EPA thing is really sad. They want more general use land for people and critters because the area is over developed; lets go after MRA...

Went shooting today, 10/1/16, and in the Loeb, 4 our of 11 lanes were down because the carriers were laying on the floor. Would be nice to get these fixed. The guy next to me, when sending his target down range, lost his carrier off the rail system. Luckily he was able to get it back to the shooting line and he fixed it. I have never seen the Loeb range in this bad of shape before.

Went shooting today, 10/1/16, and in the Loeb, 4 our of 11 lanes were down because the carriers were laying on the floor. Would be nice to get these fixed. The guy next to me, when sending his target down range, lost his carrier off the rail system. Luckily he was able to get it back to the shooting line and he fixed it. I have never seen the Loeb range in this bad of shape before.

Lpl go search some other MRA threads and you'll probably find people bitching about most of them not working... having 4 busted isn't much, well, maybe it is when the clubs over committed.

I was there this week and did see two lanes down. The on going construction projects are what really makes me nervous. The archery field is being moved and looks to be moving forward in a timely manner. The steel over the Summa looks f'd up. Didn't measure it but it looks like only oompa loompas could stand in the prone shooting area.

I was there this week and did see two lanes down. The on going construction projects are what really makes me nervous. The archery field is being moved and looks to be moving forward in a timely manner. The steel over the Summa looks f'd up. Didn't measure it but it looks like only oompa loompas could stand in the prone shooting area.

They are raising those steel beams another 18" because it's too low. Apparently that's the new supports beams for the roof that will hold the Fazzio air system.

Back
Top Bottom