1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Massachusetts resident, how do I register vehicle in NH?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BulletHead, Aug 7, 2018.

1. BulletHead

BulletHead

I am a resident of Massachusetts and have a MA driver's license. I recently bought a industrial/commercial property under my NH registered LLC and would like to register a vehicle which will be garaged at that NH property year around. Is this possible?

2. GLOCK-22

GLOCK-22 NES Member

Yes shouldn't be hard just have to bring in title and LLC paper work - proof you own a business in NH you might have to register the vehicle as a commercial vehicle.

I know you have to go to the registry but might have to go to town hall to I am not sure I did it a long time ago.

3. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Contact the town hall in the town (or city) where your business is located in and ask them straight up about this.

BTW, it doesn't HAVE to be garaged/kept there all year. I just wouldn't have it sitting at your PRM address too often. ;) IME, NH doesn't really care as much. Nor does the PRM. Just keep the registration in good order, inspection up to date, and such and you'll be good.

Also, the smaller towns in NH seem to be among the MOST friendly, and helpful, people you'll find. Especially when it comes to registering your vehicle. Top that off, your registration will be handled so fast it will shock you (depending on where you've been going in the PRM). It might be a good idea to also bring an utility bill that's for that address. Be sure it's actually being mailed to that address too.

All you need to do after that is MOVE into NH. ;)

Lip, desertr8der and timbo like this.
  4. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

NH allows you to register cars and boats there even if you are non-resident, as long as it spends 350 days a year there.

But for snowmobiles or off road motorcycles, they require a NH license. This gives you the privilege of paying non-resident fees, as well as the absurd property taxes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  5. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

When I registered my wifes car up here, I was forced to wait 2 damn minutes while the clerk finished with the person in front of me. I almost walked out.....who has time for that nonsense????

Lip, timbo, Oldarmy and 4 others like this.
  6. teaser452

teaser452

The only thing I would be concerned about is your insurance. Check with your insurance company about where they expect you to garage the vehicle. That can and will affect your rate.

But if you have a large claim, they can and will investigate. And you’d already be flagging them with your mass license and NH registration.

buckfarack likes this.
  7. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    Unless you run across some small town cop who doesn’t have enough to do and ends up charging you with an unregistered vehicle. I’ve seen it happen, although the guy with the NH address was gaming the system.

8. garandman

Let’s get past the cheerleaders to the laws.
    If it’s a company car, he is obeying the law. Although from my experience commercial insurance in NH was much more than in MA: NH doesn’t have commercial plates for vehicles under 18,000 lbs.
    If it’s a POV, NH law says non-residents can register a car kept in NH 350 days a year. Those nice little ladies in the town hall don’t usually know this. The ladies in Goshen thought I was trying to pull a fast one registering my trailer there. Nope: Trailer registration was actually $1 more, but we render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar’s.

Mass law is:
    A dick North Reading cop mailed one of our employees a ticket. He didn’t bother to run the plate to learn it was a company car. We had to go to court and embarrass NRPD, but it was dismissed.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  9. BulletHead

BulletHead

It is not a heavy vehicle, it weighs about 6k lbs.

10. BulletHead

BulletHead

What does the town hall have to do with my vehicle registration? Are you talking about "apportioned" plates? I dont have any trucks that I will be using for the business, its just a 6k lb SUV.

11. bgoum

bgoum NES Member

While living in MA, I registered my snowmobiles in NH every year as an in-state registration.
    If I recall however, what allowed this to happen was that I was storing them and trailering them in NH almost 100% of the time. Off season they were stored at my father's NH residence.

12. rcoolbaugh

rcoolbaugh

I believe Town Hall is where they issue your plates and you pay your taxes (registration fee).

13. Racenet

Racenet NES Member

The town clerk does the paperwork for your registration, takes their cut based on the value and then you finish the registration up with the state. Some towns are able to do the whole process. Others send you to the state DMV office. In either case, you need to go to the town hall first.

14. garandman

How did you do that with a Mass license? They base the reg off the license, not where they are garaged, so they can suck more $$.

15. Nhusa

Nhusa

Mass is the problem not NH.
    My daughter borrowed my car and left it at a friends house in Lowell for about a week while she went to Texas. When she returned there was a ticket on the windshield saying something about it being illegally registered. A few days later I got a summons - mailed to my house in NH - to appear in court in Lowell.

About that time I was in Lowell with my truck and saw a sign as I entered the city claiming that it was a “friendly city”
    My wife made me wait a few days but I sent a letter to the Mayor and told him what I thought of his “friendly city” and lazy police force because all it would have taken was a guick phone call to find out why the vehicle was there.

I ended up wasting a day going to court to get the thing thrown out and didn’t make any friends when I suggested that they compensate me the lost wages.

They didn’t gave a rats butt. But I will never spend money in that [email protected] hole.
    Furthermore I will never hire anyone that lives in Lowell or has gone to U Mass Lowell that says they like the city because in my opinion that makes them stupid.

The only thing good I can say about Lowell is that it is not Lawrence.

I live in NH because Mass is so bad.

knoxy, Oldarmy and W.E.C like this.
  16. bgoum

bgoum NES Member

i think because my sleds were originally titled in NH and I would show validation of belonging to a snowmobile club in NH. Never a question beyond that.
    I sold them several years ago so unfortunately cannot be more specific due to the fact that I have not done it in years and do not remember the exact procedure.
    I did this for 6-7 years however after becoming a MA resident with no issues.

17. garandman

My sleds have never been out of NH. The application form asks for a license, then even if you have a local address they f*** you over. You do get a discount for club membership either way.

I hate the MA OHRV program slightly more so register dirt bikes in NH as well.

18. Racenet

Racenet NES Member

Snowmobiles have nothing what so ever to do with vehicle registrations. Two totally different animals.

19. Valkyrie 3

Valkyrie 3

I did not know that! So if I have a MA drivers license but also own a vacation home in NH, I can register my “vacation vehicle” in NH since I never take it to MA ?

20. garandman

Car or boat or trailer, yes. You don’t necessarily save anything: our Trailer was more in N.H. by $2.

You pay non resident rates for OHRV’s - dirt bikes, quads etc.

Another gotcha: NH doesn’t recognize boatwr’s licenses from some other states, like Maine.

21. Blackmore

Blackmore NES Member

Town tax to register a vehicle is determined using the VIN to come up with its original MSRP, not what you paid for it. Starts with $18/$1000 for a new one and reduces $3/$1000 per year until it reachs $3/$1000. It stays level after that.

Passenger vehicle registration is based on GVW: 0-3000# $31.20; 3001-5000# $43.20; 5001-8000# $55.50. Registration is pro-rated to thru your birth month if not a renewal.

My 2006 car costs $80 town tax + $43.20 registration + $2.50 town clerk fee.

My brother just bought a new leftover 2018 F250 plow truck for his business and the town tax was nearly $800. Fortunately he wasn't taxed on the value of the plow.

22. Parker Duofold

Parker Duofold NES Member

I worked for a company in NH for a number of years. I bought a van that I kept in the yard there and I registered and insured it in NH. The town hall (Brentwood) required that the vehicle title show my name and the NH address (I did that). I don't know if that's NH law or just something the town clerk made up.

23. BulletHead

BulletHead

I'm looking at an International truck with a flat bed on the back which would allow me to transport larger items. It would be for the business use and not for commercial hauling, it has a 33k GVW rating, anyone know if a CDL is required for such use?

24. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Greater than 26001 pounds requires CDL. Then if it has air brakes you need that endorsement. It’s commercial use period.
    You will also have to have a health card.

25. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

26,001 and up is a yes, so is towing over 10k# CDL Class (A, B, and C) Licenses | DMV.ORG

26. BulletHead

BulletHead

But that's the GVWR of 33k lbs. max while hauling. What if I'm just using it as a flatbed, it doesn't weigh 33k lbs and I wont be hauling more than 1-2k worth of material. Do the cops and DOT look at the max GVWR?

27. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

yes, that's what's on the Registration

28. Tibs

Tibs

My father had indentical circumstances in amherst, he stored his old cars in a a garage he bought. Register away!

29. Manomet

Manomet NES Member

I think you still have to be over combined gvw 26001 to matter, not 10k+ trailer and any vehicle.

30. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

It needs a CDL period.