Massachusetts Reciprocity

With the recent SCOTUS decision on carrying a firearm, I think we need to make the push for the Commonwealth to start recognizing other states carry permits. I had sent an email to GOAL about a month ago but had not received a reply yet. I realize there are other 2A issues to be addressed, but this might seem like a decent one to get some traction. According to Handgunlaw.us the following states will accept ours:

AK, AL, AR, AZ, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, MO, MS, MT, NC, NV, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI

We should at least reciprocate acknowledging those states (yes, we should accept them all, but we have to start somewhere). While I believe Constitutional Carry should be the law across the land, at least this would save time/energy on citizens traveling to Mass and to LE, and possibly avoid Imperial entanglements/lawsuits along the way. So how do we do it? Do I just call up my local rep and ask that they sponsor a bill? (unfortunately a Dem but I'm willing to give it a shot, pun not intended). What say you guys?

I'd love for this to happen but for the now formerly-may issue states, the issue of reciprocity is almost certainly going to have to be litigated or dealt with via a federal law.

I didn't think Massachusetts had reciprocity with anybody. I think this is more of a situation where the Massachusetts permit meets the minimum qualifications for their licensing and they recognize it. It's only reciprocity if both States agree to honor each other's credentials

its been a hot topic forever, of course i'd love to see it. i doubt, and hope i'm wrong, it's never gonna happen...ever...and these state organizations should find another hill to climb. one closer to having a chance of coming to fruition.

I didn't think Massachusetts had reciprocity with anybody. I think this is more of a situation where the Massachusetts permit meets the minimum qualifications for their licensing and they recognize it. It's only reciprocity if both States agree to honor each other's credentials
It's only one way if I am reading it correctly, and Massachusetts doesn't honor them back. If I'm wrong on this anyone, please correct me.

After this SCOTUS decision it is likely to change, but it will take time and in this state it will probably take legal action by a plaintiff whose right to carry outside the home is violated by MA not allowing him to carry even though he meets the requirements to carry in his home state.

The problem is that (iirc) Heller allowed the states some sort of reasonable restrictions wrt licensing, so hypothetically if MA has a classroom or live fire requirement, which would probably be held as legal, and say NH does not, NH is free to recognize MA, but since a NH license does not meet MA's requirement, MA is under no obligation to honor NH permit.

But one could also argue that drivers licenses have many different training requirements and they are universally recognized as being valid in other states.

Hey, we got a "win" in the latest Supreme Court opinion, but it is going to take decades for the states to be forced into compliance, and that is not going to be done without a lot of time in lower courts.

its been a hot topic forever, of course i'd love to see it. i doubt, and hope i'm wrong, it's never gonna happen...ever...and these state organizations should find another hill to climb. one closer to having a chance of coming to fruition.
Completely agree. Never going to happen. There's a better chance of more states adopting constitutional carry than MA recognizing any states

Simple solution. Don't travel to MA.

What if there is a test case? Jack.
ElectricityTest.jpg

There's plenty of potential, out of state gang bangers, Dr Lu, etc. The libtards are putting it all on the line and then they'll stand around with a thumb in their butts wondering what happens when huge swaths of laws are struck down.
I'd rather see a carefully-curated plaintiff,
if it's all the same to you.

Current situation for MA LTC holders according to USCCA.

I realize the OP was talking about the reverse - MA accepting other states’ LTC’s. Agree we should push for that here.

944FB18E-78DA-4240-8D5C-476DB9701A04.jpeg

527D2D50-4A11-4150-AD2F-5FBA020BBDC8.jpeg

260C0E9B-ED29-4CA5-87CD-13BCBA6BC924.jpeg

With the recent SCOTUS decision on carrying a firearm, I think we need to make the push for the Commonwealth to start recognizing other states carry permits.

MA will never willingly reciprocate with any other state. Unless a federal court forces them to do it, which I doubt is going to happen anytime soon.

If the antis were smart.. ca/ma/ny would start honoring each others permits…
That would be some fine reverse psychology for the argument that they’re not after your guns or rights.

Last edited:
MA will never willingly reciprocate with any other state. Unless a federal court forces them to do it, which I doubt is going to happen anytime soon.
This. Never willingly would they do it. After all.....its for the safety of our children that we don't have unknown out of state people CCW here.

The only good thing out of the latest rulings....is the Abortion Law map now reads like the CCW map. Except in reverse for MA....they WELCOME people here for it. Because.....its....for....the....children???

Why didn't we get national reciprocity when Trump was in office and Republicans had all three branches of government in the bag?

Same reason that the Dems didn't pass an iron-clad anti-anti-abortion law some time in the last 20 months. They honestly only care about getting reelected.

As far as why and GOAL, it's a non-starter. It's sort of like that guy talking shit to Mike Tyson on the plane a few months ago. Sure it might work. But odds are you're gonna get smashed in the face. Like HIGH odds you're gonna get smashed in the face. Same here. There is NO way a reciprocity bill is going to make it anywhere NEAR Bacon Hill.

Back
Top Bottom