Massachusetts Permit to Store More Than 10,000 Rounds

I used to have a permit for that in Westford. It was really simple. Just go to the local Fire Dept and let them know what you want. I may have been asked "why" and I think I just said "I reload and want to make sure I am covered just in case" or something like that. But I really think they didn't bother asking. BTW, I believe the "permit" needs to be posted somewhere but I don't remember where.
No problem with the Fire Dept. where I'm at. I believe I gave the same reason as you. If I remember correctly it says to post in a conspicuous manner.

In a major catastrophe where everything is burnt you think they'll know whether you had 5,000 or 15000 rounds, it won't matter
That is a good point as far as the HO insurance is concerned, but I think some people get the permit out of respect and consideration for the guys that are showing up risking their lives trying to save the house.

I know someone who had a vacation house is a remote area of VT. He had some “friends” staying there that were too cheap to have the long driveway plowed. So they parked at the end and trudged through the snow up to the house. Long story short, house caught fire, fire dept shows up, fire truck gets stuck at the end of the driveway, fire dept could not get water on the house, house burns to the ground.

When the insurance company reviewed the claim of course they talked to the local FD. FD said they might have been able to save the house if they could have gotten some water on it. The claim was a nightmare, my buddy took a huge loss, not sure how much because it is a topic we just don’t discuss.

I agree, so don't take this as me sticking up for any hairbrain laws. However...

Little known fact: Some municipalities have flammable storage garage licenses, such as Boston. This is for storage of gasoline in the tanks of vehicles. Anything under 7 gal is exempt. Kind of a scoff law on existing homes, but new construction typically needs to apply for it through ISD, and depending on car count/gallons, might need a separate BFD annual permit as well. The annual BFD permit is the same one someone would use for ammo. Just check off a different box. So yeah, Boston has that covered as well.

Here's the real catch though. On the BFD one, there is a stipulation that they can come in at any time to inspect. Any time for any reason. They also don't say who they will bring and/or report to.

Nothing new, Its all covered in Ch 148 of MGL.

Permits are issued by the local fire departments, not the state. The local department sets the fee, which is usually $10.00, but can be zero as well. You'll likely end up talking to the fire prevention officer, or whoever does that. Who does it will vary from department to department.

Just wait and see what happens when we hear that a DemocRAT might get elected again. The fire marshall will be overrun with applications to exceed and the system will crash![rofl]

Another permit means the man is watching you with his other eye too. A smart man says nothing
Exactly, if there were ever a Nationwide crackdown you know whose ammo is going to be taken first, they already know where you store it and how big of a truck they'll need

Aren't you in NB? I went a few years back and they all looked at me like i was nuts. There were three people there. No one knew what i was talking about and after explaining, one of the firefighters said no one needs to know how much ammo you have and we will pretend this convo never happened.
Next door to NB.

I got a permit here in Acton for 5 bucks in 1982. Good forever for 15lb smokeless and 5lb black. "Must be posted", so I taped it to the toilet tank for a while. Sez 527 CMR 13. S/N 2822. Sez nothing about ammo or primers. Jack.

I got a permit here in Acton for 5 bucks in 1982. Good forever for 15lb smokeless and 5lb black. "Must be posted", so I taped it to the toilet tank for a while. Sez 527 CMR 13. S/N 2822. Sez nothing about ammo or primers. Jack.
Old CMR (sadly still online to confuse people). Current CMR is 527 CMR 1.0 (it's an omnibus CMR, so only 1-2 pages apply to us) and the rules changed in 2015 and further revised in 2018.

Old CMR (sadly still online to confuse people). Current CMR is 527 CMR 1.0 (it's an omnibus CMR, so only 1-2 pages apply to us) and the rules changed in 2015 and further revised in 2018.
Thanks, Len. Anyway, I consider myself "grandfathered" with that and my FID. No time for all this new fangled shit. Jack.

I brought a copy of the CMR with the higher limits anticipating the fire chief wouldn't be aware of it. He wasn't, and said no one had ever approached him for one before. He filled out the permit and asked me if it was okay to charge me $10, since he had to charge something. The permit has no end date. Then we started talking about reloading and a couple of other firemen joined in. I felt like I was in a gun club vs. the FD.

I brought a copy of the CMR with the higher limits anticipating the fire chief wouldn't be aware of it. He wasn't, and said no one had ever approached him for one before. He filled out the permit and asked me if it was okay to charge me $10, since he had to charge something. The permit has no end date. Then we started talking about reloading and a couple of other firemen joined in. I felt like I was in a gun club vs. the FD.
Most here are paranoid, as they are only used to dealing with police and it's not usually in a friendly manner . . . whether it is being stopped for speeding or getting a LTC.

Firefighters are a different breed altogether. Their "thing" is in saving lives, not making them miserable. Also, most firefighters have various "hands on skills" (carpentry, painting, building, electrical, etc.) and used to have these as side jobs. My fire chief told me that since all of his men/women are EMTs or Paramedics, these days they work their off-time in the medical field instead.

So when you approach them for the permit, they don't get all bent out of shape over it with 100 questions of why you want it, and they certainly don't talk with the police about it either. What you will find is that a number of them are likely gun owners themselves and may talk your ear off about shooting, reloading, etc.

Not to exceed 10,000?! Pretty sure most reloaders have more than 10k primers on hand. 48 pounds of powder is a good amount though.
Yes, with small pistol, large pistol, magnum pistol, shotgun, etc. all using different primers, it's not hard at all.

Most here are paranoid, as they are only used to dealing with police and it's not usually in a friendly manner . . . whether it is being stopped for speeding or getting a LTC.

Firefighters are a different breed altogether. Their "thing" is in saving lives, not making them miserable. Also, most firefighters have various "hands on skills" (carpentry, painting, building, electrical, etc.) and used to have these as side jobs. My fire chief told me that since all of his men/women are EMTs or Paramedics, these days they work their off-time in the medical field instead.

So when you approach them for the permit, they don't get all bent out of shape over it with 100 questions of why you want it, and they certainly don't talk with the police about it either. What you will find is that a number of them are likely gun owners themselves and may talk your ear off about shooting, reloading, etc.
Very well put, good post..........

10k rounds of .22 can fit in something the size of a suitcase and after the last panic I can see a lot here buying 10k rounds of it at once.

Tell you guys what, if you really want to crash the system, everyone should organize in their towns and all go to the town fire Marshall at once and I guarantee the union that represents them will get a lot of complaints about this law and it will go away quietly at the next annual budget bill.

10k rounds of .22 can fit in something the size of a suitcase and after the last panic I can see a lot here buying 10k rounds of it at once.

Tell you guys what, if you really want to crash the system, everyone should organize in their towns and all go to the town fire Marshall at once and I guarantee the union that represents them will get a lot of complaints about this law and it will go away quietly at the next annual budget bill.
Sorry, you have no idea how this works.

First of all, towns/cities do not have "fire marshals", there is only one and he's a political appointee by the governor.

State Fire Marshal's Office created a blank form for towns to use to issue permits (new oil burner, burn permit, ammo permit, etc.). The town's fire chief or designee fills out the form and hands it to you. In my town, the deputy types it on the computer and Emails it to me! You aren't going to crash any state system nor even the local FD systems.

Sorry, you have no idea how this works.

First of all, towns/cities do not have "fire marshals", there is only one and he's a political appointee by the governor.

State Fire Marshal's Office created a blank form for towns to use to issue permits (new oil burner, burn permit, ammo permit, etc.). The town's fire chief or designee fills out the form and hands it to you. In my town, the deputy types it on the computer and Emails it to me! You aren't going to crash any state system nor even the local FD systems.
By crashing the system, I mean make the town fire chief have to fill out so many forms his hand cramps up and he gets carpel tunnel.

FTW!!!

By crashing the system, I mean make the town fire chief have to fill out so many forms his hand cramps up and he gets carpel tunnel.

FTW!!!
Doesn't work. They template the filled out form on the computer. Change the name and address, scribble a signature and done . . . or use a rubber stamp signature, or even "Name /s" works these days (which could be part of the template).

2lbs of Black powder is not dangerous, no one needs to know you have it.

2.25lbs OMG, the FD BETTER KNOW!!!!

Also, how stupid the laws are ... you can have 2lbs in the containers and another 10lbs reloaded in ammo, no need for permit. But if you have 3lbs in containers, then you cant have it? [laugh]

Last edited:
I agree, so don't take this as me sticking up for any hairbrain laws. However...

Little known fact: Some municipalities have flammable storage garage licenses, such as Boston. This is for storage of gasoline in the tanks of vehicles. Anything under 7 gal is exempt. Kind of a scoff law on existing homes, but new construction typically needs to apply for it through ISD, and depending on car count/gallons, might need a separate BFD annual permit as well. The annual BFD permit is the same one someone would use for ammo. Just check off a different box. So yeah, Boston has that covered as well.

Here's the real catch though. On the BFD one, there is a stipulation that they can come in at any time to inspect. Any time for any reason. They also don't say who they will bring and/or report to.
Can you imagine asking the Boston FD for a permit to store several pounds of powder and over 20K rounds?

How long until everyone in the State Government has you on a black list and the PoPo shows up?

Back
Top Bottom