• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts most armed town

Ripton has a 99% rate but didn't make the list.

I wonder why?

The MSM is probably waiting for some tragic "gun violence" to take place in your town and THEN they can point to the 99% licensed gun owners as the reason for this terrible tragedy. [wink]

P.s. May your town never have such an incident.

ETA: I guess I got taken in since your "town" will never experience any of the above scenario since it's a figment of someone's imagination [laugh]

"A professor at the University of Massachusetts sought to demonstrate, and protest, the ignorance of the bureaucracy in Boston, the capital, of the rural portions of the commonwealth. To do so, he invented a ficticious town, Ripton. He then proceeded to apply for various grants and other official assistance.

Several checks were issued, and deposited in an escrow account, before the hoax was uncovered. The funds were returned and the matter dropped.

As a protest of the issue today, some signposts in the western portion of Massachusetts still contain "directions" to Ripton."

Last edited:
Proud to live in #7, and taking great exception to the earlier statement that we are "so hick". We have THREE traffic lights AND two blinkers!! Ront

That's a metropolis.

What Gibbs said.....My own only has two flashers...

I just wish the horses and cows could carry, that would really bring the percentage up...

"Team 5 Investigates discovered the number of people getting that kind of access is going up..."
-- love the "Team 5" phraseology -- sounds as if a right is a privilege.

"Team 5 found only three municipalities where the number of Class A gun licenses had actually declined. Revere, Everett and Westport all saw slight decreases of less than 2 percent".

I don't know about Revere or Westport, but I'd take an educated guess and say that the reason Everett is down is becaise it takes 12-18 months to get the LTC [according to the "How long did it take to get your LTC in your town" thread] [sad]

Last edited:
These stats are kinda a joke. There are lots of people that when the laws changed just ignored it. Towns like barre hardwick hubbardston. Fing just about everyone has a gun there.

The money goes to the town that issued the license.

Really?

Try reading the law . . . $75 goes to the state and only $25 stays with the town. PDs bitch about this and rightly so, they have to do a lot more work than they used to back when a LTC only cost $10 but get stiffed by the state for 3/4 of the fee. Processing LTCs (even in the good/green towns) cost the town more than $25 in manpower (loaded cost)!

Really?

Try reading the law . . . $75 goes to the state and only $25 stays with the town. PDs bitch about this and rightly so, they have to do a lot more work than they used to back when a LTC only cost $10 but get stiffed by the state for 3/4 of the fee. Processing LTCs (even in the good/green towns) cost the town more than $25 in manpower (loaded cost)!

I, however, would like to challenge the $25 dollar in manpower claim. I bet true analysis needed to make that claim would have to include size of the department, does it actually take an officer off the street, yadda yadda.

Really?

$75 is supposed to go to the state. I'm under the impression that towns frequently fail to forward those fees to the state.

$75 is supposed to go to the state. I'm under the impression that towns frequently fail to forward those fees to the state.

FRB was tracking all MIRCS entries and BILLING the cities/towns for the money.

You were right, and that is why they started doing it that way.

Of course if the PD just puts your app in a pile and doesn't submit via MIRCS, they get to keep all the money. Perhaps that is what Everett is doing?

Processing LTCs (even in the good/green towns) cost the town more than $25 in manpower (loaded cost)!

That I can believe. I spent around 1.5hrs+ waiting for the officer to fill out the online form, finger printing, taking pictures, then fixing mistakes they made on the application, etc, etc, etc. No wonder why they complain about it.

That I can believe. I spent around 1.5hrs+ waiting for the officer to fill out the online form, finger printing, taking pictures, then fixing mistakes they made on the application, etc, etc, etc. No wonder why they complain about it.

1.5hrs+ ??? For all the bitching I do about Worcester, I was in and out in 15 minutes. The lady put the app in the computer and the LEO took my prints, photo, and payment.

1.5hrs+ ??? For all the bitching I do about Worcester, I was in and out in 15 minutes. The lady put the app in the computer and the LEO took my prints, photo, and payment.

Well many officers can't keyboard for shit . . . hunt and peck with one finger, or use their little toe, or keyboard with their elbow [wink] . All that takes much longer than a secretary who was trained to use a keyboard doing it.

It was on channel 7 whdh website also. I thought it I was seeing things when I saw it. Follow the link I posted earlier.

It's channel 5 ( WCVB )

There's some stupidity in the comment section going on there,
I hope to read about Jon Cooper in the news soon .

We all know how that will turn out carrying concealed on a sporting restriction. I know I don't do it. Worcester may think 1 thing, and Medway will think another. Not worth it.

No problem if you always have your backpack and walking stick with you.

...only $25 stays with the town. PDs bitch about this and rightly so...Processing LTCs (even in the good/green towns) cost the town more than $25 in manpower (loaded cost)!

Thanks, Len.

Now I don't feel bad about visiting and schmoozing with the chief for an hour (yes, yes--small town) each time I deal with this.

That's not even half a tank of gas for their cruiser.

Interesting.

Also I really wish websites would stop with those ****ing slide shows. Either write a story or don't. Clicking across 86 slides is stupid. /rant.

Back
Top Bottom