• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts man stabbed in road rage incident

You "washer trick" is still childish and inappropriate no matter how you try to justify it. What does it accomplish exactly? Oh man, you really showed them! Now they know who is boss around here!

What's your point exactly, that you're a passive aggressive control freak? That YOU'RE passing right now and HE can wait until you're good and ready?

What is really killing me is that massachusetts drivers have been conditioned to drive like this and they don't even know it. It's no wonder our reputation is know across the country...

And how is tailgating someone at a high rate of speed and flashing your high beams at them so they move not being a control freak? What I'm saying is that the left lane is the passing lane and when I'm done passing the vehicles on my right they are more then welcome to pass me, but certainly not before.

What makes you think this is a Massachusetts thing? I for one did not grow up driving in MA and have driven all over this country and observed similar driving habits everywhere.

Also about 90% of my driving time is spent behind the wheel of either a 10 wheel truck or a semi, so I'm usually not even allowed in the left lane. Everyone is always passing me.

Last edited:
While sitting in traffic the other day waiting for a light to change I watched this dude walk out of his house and get into his car accompanied by a couple of young kids... He then gets so pissed that there just happens to be a person in front of his drive way blocking him in, (the person was waiting there well before he came out of his house) that he starts swearing his head off saying he is going to kick their ass and then gets out of his car to challenge the other guy to a fight. All this while having a few young kids in the back seat. It all ended when the light changed, but got me thinking about how random this encounter was between these two people and that even if your out there driving miss daisy and not looking for trouble you got still got to be prepared to deal psychopath.

when I was young and dumb, I would have no problem getting out of the car. I realize now that that might make me a candidate for the darwin awards, so I don't do it anymore.

My car is my castle - I don't lower the draw bridge for anybody.

What makes you think this is a Massachusetts thing? I for one did not grow up driving in MA and have driven all over this country and observed similar driving habits everywhere.
Bad habits everywhere, yes, but I've seen more intelligent driving from 14 year olds in east NV than out here in MA. I would prefer (and it would be a far cry safer) to drive in SF's CHINATOWN than to drive around the metro.

When I get a tailgater on my ass, I start slowing down very gradually. Eventually they get to a point where they realize they are going 30 on the interstate and they go around.

I guess it's passive aggressive when I'm getting tailgated in my jeep so I just take my foot off the gas. Funny how much gas those things need to maintain forward movement.

theres always the dbags that tailgate even in heavyish traffic when you have nowhere to go at all, forward (kepping a safety cushion), or sideways. They REALLY pisses me off.

Last edited:
I after I saw he had followed me I would have called the 5-0 and told them you have someone following you making threatening gestures. I would then get in my car and troll them so they follow me into a parking lot where a cop is conveniently parked.

Mistake number 1: brake check

Mistake number 2: getting into a fist fight after going about his business and finding the douche waiting.

Mistake #2 could have been fixed by a simple GTF away from me, I'm not going to fight you and trying to walk away. If the douche follows, light him up. Particularly if you spot the knife, which you should be looking for anyway.

Tailgaters need to end up in a ditch upside down, on fire.

Some years back, I was driving from Ithaca to Syracuse the morning after a snowstorm. I was on a two-lane, snow covered road. The snow was fairly hard-packed, except for the deeper hump between the east and westbound lanes. While the speed limit was 55, I was going 35, and that was as fast as I was going to go.

A rear-wheel-drive Chevy sedan crawled onto my back bumper. He really wanted to go faster. I just wouldn't, it simply wasn't safe. I didn't slow down or brake check him, or anything. I just kept my speed.

Before too long, we came to a wide open straight, which undoubtedly had a dashed line under all that snow, allowing you to pass. So the guy behind me pulled out to pass.

Or, rather, he tried too. He turned the wheel to get up over the hump between the lanes, then some more, then got over the hump, realized he was headed for the ditch, counter steered, over-controlled, swung his rear to the left, then the right, and then he was off in the ditch on the left side, facing opposing traffic. I suspect that his lady in the right-hand seat had something to say about his driving skill and judgment [wink].

Karma's a bitch.

Last edited:
"Keohane continued down the street to his co-worker's garage, but when he left a short time later, the man in the Civic was waiting for him."

From what I read, he never got out to brawl with the civic-driving hispanic, he went to his destination. Civic hispanic was the one who decided to wait for the guy and confront him with a knife after the issue was over. Everyone thinks that would not have been a justified self defense situation?! Am I the one confused about the chain of events here, or is it everyone else? Not to mention, brake-checking someone who is tailgating you is considered "road rage" nowadays? Everyone seems to be reading this as if it was a mutual "raging", where it seems to me that only one party was actually doing the "raging".
This whole thing went down 300 yards from my grandmothers house, I drove right by wondering what the deal was.

Someone tailgates me on an empty backroad just about every night. I'm in no hurry, so I pull over slightly with my blinker on and let them pass. It doesn't hurt my pride and it does not take any time out of my day. I think tailgaters are dooshbags, but this seems to be the easiest way to deal with it. On the highway or a busy road, I just ignore it because if I let them pass, the next guy in line is just going to crawl up my ass. It is that common in MA, but I never noticed it anywhere else in the country.

"Keohane continued down the street to his co-worker's garage, but when he left a short time later, the man in the Civic was waiting for him."

From what I read, he never got out to brawl with the civic-driving hispanic, he went to his destination. Civic hispanic was the one who decided to wait for the guy and confront him with a knife after the issue was over. Everyone thinks that would not have been a justified self defense situation?! Am I the one confused about the chain of events here, or is it everyone else? Not to mention, brake-checking someone who is tailgating you is considered "road rage" nowadays? Everyone seems to be reading this as if it was a mutual "raging", where it seems to me that only one party was actually doing the "raging".
This whole thing went down 300 yards from my grandmothers house, I drove right by wondering what the deal was.

I'm with you on that.

I think it's interesting to see how many folks here consider themselves to be the keepers of highway law. A little while ago there was a thread about a guy who received a ticket for approaching Mach 1 while bringing his pregnant wife to the hospital. The general opinion was that it was the driver's business how fast he should go and Johnny Law should stay out of it until there's an accident. Now, there are a ton of people professing their passion for brake checking, slowing down, and otherwise interfering with and endangering a driver who dares to go faster than them. I'm sure it's not the same folks [rolleyes]
It's none of your business how fast another person on the highway wants to go. When you intentionally interfere with them, you pronounce go time. Drive your own speed, mind your own business, and everyone is fine.

It's none of your business how fast another person on the highway wants to go. When you intentionally interfere with them, you pronounce go time. Drive your own speed, mind your own business, and everyone is fine.
Sorry if my amusement at watching someone steam over my rolling roadblock is pronouncing go time, they already did that by trying to get all up on my ball hitch and get a free ride.

Do you really believe that the speed at which others around you are driving doesn't affect your own safety?

Do you really believe that the speed at which others around you are driving doesn't affect your own safety?
Speed alone isn't the issue. The Autobahn is quite safe, even in the unlimited speed sections where drivers in the left lane may be going 150 mph.

Speed alone isn't the issue. The Autobahn is quite safe, even in the unlimited speed sections where drivers in the left lane may be going 150 mph.

Agreed, but I have been in many situations (especially on 90) where morons flying by me at 20+MPH over the limit has made me pretty damn nervous. I'm not saying speed is the only factor, but the speed of others is definitely my business if they're making the roads less safe. What's the best way to deal with that? Shrug...

Of course it does. It affects it as much as any of the other variables I can't control like weather, lighting, the other driver's abilities and impairments, etc. The last time I checked, a silver shield or a cape weren't part of my wardrobe though so there's not much I can do about it except to give people who drive like idiots a wide berth. Now, do I like it when someone tailgates me? Hell no. But, I try to keep things in perspective and either allow them to pass or get out of their way.

Agreed, but I have been in many situations (especially on 90) where morons flying by me at 20+MPH over the limit has made me pretty damn nervous. I'm not saying speed is the only factor, but the speed of others is definitely my business if they're making the roads less safe. What's the best way to deal with that? Shrug...

For sake of argument, what do you consider too fast for a 3 lane highway? 75? 85? I think 85mph is perfectly fine. If you're paying attention. And not on a cell phone eating a cheeseburger changing the radio while adjusting your rear-view mirror.

Of course it does. It affects it as much as any of the other variables I can't control like weather, lighting, the other driver's abilities and impairments, etc. The last time I checked, a silver shield or a cape weren't part of my wardrobe though so there's not much I can do about it except to give people who drive like idiots a wide berth. Now, do I like it when someone tailgates me? Hell no. But, I try to keep things in perspective and either allow them to pass or get out of their way.

No green ring?

I get it, I'm just saying that their unsafe behavior is absolutely your business. You're right, you can't do jack about it, but that doesn't make everything OK.

Back
Top Bottom