Massachusetts man stabbed in road rage incident

For sake of argument, what do you consider too fast for a 3 lane highway? 75? 85? I think 85mph is perfectly fine. If you're paying attention. And not on a cell phone eating a cheeseburger changing the radio while adjusting your rear-view mirror.

That's impossible to say. I'm making very general statements.

Agreed, but I have been in many situations (especially on 90) where morons flying by me at 20+MPH over the limit has made me pretty damn nervous. I'm not saying speed is the only factor, but the speed of others is definitely my business if they're making the roads less safe.
Why? Suppose you are in the middle lane going 65 mph. A car in the left lane goes by you going 90 mph. How is that safe on the Autobahn but unsafe on I90 (assuming similar traffic and weather conditions)?

What's the best way to deal with that? Shrug...
Deal with what? Why are you so bent out of shape about it?

You stay in your lane, he stays in his. Watch your mirrors and change lanes with care. I've seen plenty of fast drivers drive like idiots (weaving between lanes, passing on the right, etc.). And I've seen plenty of fast drivers driving safely. Speed isn't the problem.

To quote George Carlin: "Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a moron."

So many people seem to have an instinctive need to control the behavior of others.

Last edited:
Why? Suppose you are in the middle lane going 65 mph. A car in the left lane goes by you going 90 mph. How is that safe on the Autobahn but unsafe on I90 (assuming similar traffic and weather conditions)?

Deal with what? Why are you so bent out of shape about it?

You stay in your lane, he stays in his. Watch your mirrors and change lanes with care. I've seen plenty of fast drivers drive like idiots (weaving between lanes, passing on the right, etc.). And I've seen plenty of fast drivers driving safely.

Have you driven 90 into Boston, specifically under the bridge past Fenway?

Bent out of shape? Huh?

So I should have to be extra vigilant because Dr. Dipshit in his BMW wants to do 90 in a 55?

Last edited:
Extra vigilant? What is extra about watching your mirrors and changing lanes with care? Nothing.

Drive right, pass left. It isn't hard.

I can't remember the last time I took a drive on a 2+ lane road and those rules were followed.

I'm talking about situations where others around you are driving so fast that it makes the road less safe. Can you really not imagine such a situation?

Last edited:
No green ring?

I get it, I'm just saying that their unsafe behavior is absolutely your business. You're right, you can't do jack about it, but that doesn't make everything OK.

There is a difference between things that may affect me and things that are my business. Sometimes they are the same but most often, they are mutually exclusive.

If someone is driving at excessive speeds around me, it can affect me but only for a short time. Think about it. He wants to drive faster than me so within seconds, he is far enough away from me that I can safely avoid any craziness he causes. It isn't worth getting heated over. Its not "OK" in the sense that they could pose a threat to other drivers but its not my business to interfere because I'm not in law enforcement. To do so would make me a vigilante and, in my opinion, just as big of an a-hole as the speeder.

There is a difference between things that may affect me and things that are my business. Sometimes they are the same but most often, they are mutually exclusive.

If someone is driving at excessive speeds around me, it can affect me but only for a short time. Think about it. He wants to drive faster than me so within seconds, he is far enough away from me that I can safely avoid any craziness he causes. It isn't worth getting heated over. Its not "OK" in the sense that they could pose a threat to other drivers but its not my business to interfere because I'm not in law enforcement. To do so would make me a vigilante and, in my opinion, just as big of an a-hole as the speeder.

We're in agreement, I have a slightly different take on what you mean by "my business". I'm not condoning any kind of interference.

Bent out of shape? Huh?

So I should have to be extra vigilant because Dr. Dipshit in his BMW wants to do 90 in a 55?
Speed limits in this country ceased to have any correlation as indicators of prudent speed a LONG time ago.

I-75 as it passes by my house has a 65 mph speed limit (the highest in the state). I have driven by there at 100-105 mph in complete safety and without endangering anyone I passed more than once.

In fact, 80 mph feels slow on that road.

ETA, you seem to have control issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
For about half of the time since 1991, I have commuted into Boston or Cambridge on the Pike every day. Speeding on the Pike during normal rush hours? [rofl] I feel lucky if I'm going 40 mph.

What makes you think this is a Massachusetts thing? I for one did not grow up driving in MA and have driven all over this country and observed similar driving habits everywhere.

I've lived in Florida, Virginia, NH, Washington, Alaska.....driving habits are pretty generic. There are a**h***s who don't seem to understand how to not tailgate. And there are "childish" folks like myself, who will spray these tailgating idiots if they're forcing their front bumpers up my ass. I'll move over if i'm not blocked in to let your ass race by, I have no issue with that. It's the a**h***s who, in traffic, will sit on my ass, at speed, and flick their high beams at me. Hmm, do I speed up beyond 75-80 that we're already doing, or do I slow down? How about this:

GET OFF MY ASS

Back
Top Bottom