• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts man stabbed in road rage incident

I searched and didn't find this posted yet.

What would have happened if he was carrying concealed and defended himself legally in mass?

http://www.necn.com/04/21/11/bNew-E...bbed-/landing.html?blockID=508651&feedID=4206

Watch the vid in the above link.

(NECN: Alysha Palumbo - Tewksbury, MA) - "There was this kid who was up his (expletive) on the highway and he kind of tapped the brakes to get him off and that's when it started," said the victim's co-worker to a 9-1-1 operator.
Road rage on I-93 leaves a Tewksbury man with serious injuries.

26-year-old Dennis Keohane says he was driving his co-worker back to work Wednesday afternoon when a hispanic man in a black Honda Civic got so close to him he couldn't see his headlights.

Keohane says he tapped his brakes to try to get the driver to back off.

"I didn't come out and fully lock them up on him, I just gave him a warning tap and he apparently didn't like it, and he didn't like the second one either," said Keohane.

Keohane says the driver followed him off his exit and got out of his Civic a couple of times, throwing things and yelling at him.

Keohane continued down the street to his co-worker's garage, but when he left a short time later, the man in the Civic was waiting for him.

Keohane said, "We exchanged a few words and had a little bit of a fist fight, I thought they were punches, I didn't even know I was cut until I went back to my work and the property owner what happened, that's when I felt the blood running down my neck."

The man took off and Keohane's co-worker called 9-1-1.

Victim's Co-worker: "My co-worker has been stabbed by someone in a black Honda Civic."

9-1-1 Operator: "Is he bleeding severely?"

Victim's Co-worker: "He's bleeding pretty good"

Keohane was stabbed six times - including cuts to his head, stab wounds on his back, and a nine inch long slice on his arm that just missed an artery.

"It could have been a lot worse and if it were a bigger blade I was told I could have died," said Keohane.

Police say other drivers should learn from this incident and not let road rage overtake them while driving.

Tewksbury Police Chief Timothy Sheenan said, "We'd never encourage anybody to take the law into their own hands or to get themselves involved in any type of physical altercation."

Tewksbury Police Chief Timothy Sheenan said, "We'd never encourage anybody to take the law into their own hands or to get themselves involved in any type of physical altercation."
I love how the police chief makes it sound like the person the got stabbed is the guilty person and the man that stabbed him is the victim.

I don't brake-check anyone anymore.
I get out of their way, then get behind them, take down their plate # and add it to the list of folks who aren't invited to my ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE EMERGENCY DEATH-PREVENTATIVE CAMPSITE.

Why not drive to the popo and let them handle it? Or maybe run the guy over a couple of times.

I get out of their way, then get behind them, take down their plate # and add it to the list of folks who aren't invited to my ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE EMERGENCY DEATH-PREVENTATIVE CAMPSITE.

for some reason your post reminded me of this scene:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't brake check either. Instead, I fire up the windshield wiper spray for a good 10-15 seconds. Works especially well against BMW's and like-vehicles. If they pull next to me and start waving and screaming, I smile and wave...

Maybe not guilty, but certainly not that bright.

...but I definitely never pull over and play their game.

when I was young and dumb, I would have no problem getting out of the car. I realize now that that might make me a candidate for the darwin awards, so I don't do it anymore.

Maybe not guilty, but certainly not that bright.

Agreed. Don't brake check him. Let him by. If he follows you, dial 911 on your cell and drive to the nearest police station. Don't pull over to fight a guy over stupid stuff.

And, yes, I know how hard it can be not to in the heat of the moment when another driver is being a complete jerk.

If someone is "riding your ass" (not directed at you personally), the majority of the time it's because you're in the passing lane and they want to pass you (who would have thought). Brake-checking is one of the most dangerous things you can do on a highway, I've almost slammed into a minivan full of a husband/wife/kids in my bigazz, slow-stopping pickup and I wasn't even trying to ride the guys ass. He was the one doing 55 in the left lane of a 65 highway. I'm the last one to talk about putting egos in check, but I figure by preaching it maybe I'll be better at following my own advice. You got it right though, don't hit the brakes, move over when safe, and let the *whatever expletive you want* pass and go on his way as you'll never see them again.

I don't brake check either. Instead, I fire up the windshield wiper spray for a good 10-15 seconds. Works especially well against BMW's and like-vehicles. If they pull next to me and start waving and screaming, I smile and wave...

Just like the guy who did that to me (either on purpose or not) when I was riding a motorcycle on the interstate. Didn't clean my visor as well as it did his windshield. I am in no way condoning A-hole drivers and I'll chastise them at the first chance, but it sounds like they just want to go faster than you and you respond in some childish manner. Making someone pass you on the right can be almost more dangerous than brake-checking. If you can, just move over, even just for half a second to let them pass, and you get to go your speed and be happy and they get to go their speed and be happy. Think about how much congestion is caused by people in the left lanes going slower than the person behind them wants to. I'm always amazed at how bad the traffic is on the interstates and highways in this retarded state when there is no reason for it but stupidity.

...but I definitely never pull over and play their game.

Even if you win in a road rage incident you still lose overall. We've devolved as a society to pretty much allow people to drive like they're the only ones that matter out there and screw everyone else. From people expecting me to slam on my brakes and allow them to merge on a highway when I can't move over, to letting people out into traffic from a cross-street, and everything in between. A courtesy is just that, but in our self-entitled world you're never going to win when society condones this type of behavior by not criticizing the bad drivers and punishing the good drivers for not having enough 'self-control and patience' for the bad drivers.

(to everyone) Next time you're out there driving and start saying things to yourselves about discourteous and a-hole drivers, adjust the rear view a little further down and make sure that person isn't you.

Last edited:
This is interesting...the OP asked the classic "what if" question. Well, hypothetically, let's suppose the victim was armed...wouldn't the prudent thing to do, as other posters have suggested, simply stayed in his car, called 911 or driven to the nearest police station or state police barracks? If he had been armed, that would have been the prudent and responsible thing to do. As it stands, he wasn't armed and considering that he got sliced and diced, it would still have been the prudent thing to do.

Of course, this hypothetical course of action is based on the information that we currently have.

Mark L.

The guy in the black Civic is clearly a shitbag but the victim's actions are full of so much fail it's hard to find a place to start.

As for the hypothetical question, in MA the victim would have been up on charges if ihe pulled a gun. He, in fact, instigated the incident by break diving a tailgater. Then he failed to adequately flee. Finally, he engaged in a physical altercation for which he had to leave his car. No way he can pull a gun and get away with it.

Just remember, like it or not, when you react to another driver with anything other than indifference or courtesy you are accepting an altercation. It might end with a casually extended middle finger or it may end with a scumbag stabbing you. Either way, you picked your path.

Something as simple as a brake check could be considered part of the escalation of force as you perpetuated the situation to continue. If the guy who brake checked was armed, and ultimately shot the guy, I would not be surprised when his claim to self defense gets tossed and he lands himself in prison who want to do more than stab him.

Part of being responsible as a fun owner is to not contribute to the situation escalating, and Brake check certainly does ramp it up...

This was nothing more then two idiots that agreed to mutual combat, but one idiot decided to up the anti by bringing a knife. Both were willing participants. one shit bird got tuned up, oh well maybe next time you wont get out of your car to be a tough guy.The so called victim contributed to his injuries by his own stupid decision to fight the guy.

That's what I figured. I woul dbet that when he left his car he never expected to jave a knife pulled on him. Probably just figured it would be a yelling match that ends with both getting back in their cars. We have all been there. But when the knife was pulled and the slashing started he still would be unable to legally defend himself with a gun. If anything just to show "why bring a knife to gun fight" hopefully making the attacker retreat.

We have a 2 mile long billboard spreading lies about gun shows when we need one with simple yet forgotten messages like "the left lane is for passing" or "tailgating is dangerous and annoying", or "eyes on the road jackass, why are you looking here?".

Don't you just love double standards? When someone tailgates you and puts you and others at risk of injury or death, you're supposed defy the laws of physics getting out of their way. Because this genius has figured out a way to beat the system. He/she knows that driving really fast and pushing people out of his/her way actually gets them there faster. He/she doesn't care that they actually get to their destination some fraction of a second or a few seconds earlier, to them it's worth the risk.

If you however due to your inattention or ignorance hinder them in any way from driving like a maniac, you deserve whatever happens to you. The innocent bystanders are just acceptable collateral damage.

I don't condone the victims brake check. I think it was a stupid thing to do. In the same situation I would have let him pass me at the first possible moment. As he passed me I wouldn't even make eye contact. If some sort of altercation happened anyway I would have dealt with it in a manner conducive to limiting anyone's physical injury.

Don't paint me as a slow in the left lane driver. I am always attentive when I drive I keep a saftey zone around me as much as I can. I never follow to closely and I'm always keeping to the right to let other drivers pass me. I learned the saftey cushion from driving a truck and find it's use helpful in my driving in general.

Saying that tailgaters/fast drivers should be tolerated and that anyone who gets in their way should not is a huge double standard. Speeding and tailgating are just as illegal as not allowing faster traffic to pass you. News flash for people who drive like maniacs. There are other people in the world you have to tolerate, that's just the way it is. Take a math class and learn how to do the math pertinent to speed/time calculations. Then ask yourself, is getting there some fraction of a second or minute earlier worth all the risk. If you have more than a few brain cells to rub together the answer is no.

Just like the guy who did that to me (either on purpose or not) when I was riding a motorcycle on the interstate. Didn't clean my visor as well as it did his windshield. I am in no way condoning A-hole drivers and I'll chastise them at the first chance, but it sounds like they just want to go faster than you and you respond in some childish manner. Making someone pass you on the right can be almost more dangerous than brake-checking. If you can, just move over, even just for half a second to let them pass, and you get to go your speed and be happy and they get to go their speed and be happy. Think about how much congestion is caused by people in the left lanes going slower than the person behind them wants to. I'm always amazed at how bad the traffic is on the interstates and highways in this retarded state when there is no reason for it but stupidity.

Ok, I guess I better be a little clearer for the instant jailhouse defense attorneys here ><.

If I'm traveling along with traffic, and there are cars to either side (meaning I can't move over, to be clear) and some schmuck tailgates, he's getting an eyefull of wiper fluid. If I'm NOT blocked in, I move over and let the schmuck go by LONG before he gets on my @$$ (that would be my bumper, just to be clear) because I'm cheap and don't want to waste my fluid on a moron. I have ridden m'cycles for over 20 years (even raced them for almost 8 years)...if you tailgate on a m'cycle, you deserve a little wiper fluid, if for no better reason than to wash your brain and remember he weighs 2 tons and you weigh....maybe 800lbs, even on a Hardly Ableson.

I think the individual states are tools on how they "train" their drivers. We should adopt the European method, including fines.

That's what I figured. I woul dbet that when he left his car he never expected to jave a knife pulled on him. Probably just figured it would be a yelling match that ends with both getting back in their cars. We have all been there. But when the knife was pulled and the slashing started he still would be unable to legally defend himself with a gun. If anything just to show "why bring a knife to gun fight" hopefully making the attacker retreat.

One can regain their right to self defense by retreating/signaling they wish not to fight.

Don't you just love double standards? When someone tailgates you and puts you and others at risk of injury or death, you're supposed defy the laws of physics getting out of their way. Because this genius has figured out a way to beat the system. He/she knows that driving really fast and pushing people out of his/her way actually gets them there faster. He/she doesn't care that they actually get to their destination some fraction of a second or a few seconds earlier, to them it's worth the risk.

If you however due to your inattention or ignorance hinder them in any way from driving like a maniac, you deserve whatever happens to you. The innocent bystanders are just acceptable collateral damage.

I don't condone the victims brake check. I think it was a stupid thing to do. In the same situation I would have let him pass me at the first possible moment. As he passed me I wouldn't even make eye contact. If some sort of altercation happened anyway I would have dealt with it in a manner conducive to limiting anyone's physical injury.

Don't paint me as a slow in the left lane driver. I am always attentive when I drive I keep a saftey zone around me as much as I can. I never follow to closely and I'm always keeping to the right to let other drivers pass me. I learned the saftey cushion from driving a truck and find it's use helpful in my driving in general.

Saying that tailgaters/fast drivers should be tolerated and that anyone who gets in their way should not is a huge double standard. Speeding and tailgating are just as illegal as not allowing faster traffic to pass you. News flash for people who drive like maniacs. There are other people in the world you have to tolerate, that's just the way it is. Take a math class and learn how to do the math pertinent to speed/time calculations. Then ask yourself, is getting there some fraction of a second or minute earlier worth all the risk. If you have more than a few brain cells to rub together the answer is no.

This. No one should ever be tailgating anyone. It endangers everyone's life. I've had people tailgate me in the right lane and middle lane and on roads that have a passing area with plenty of time to pass but instead they sit on my rear and I don't drive slow. Maybe the idiots are trying to save gas by drafting?

If he was carrying he would have to deescalate the situation, period. (more accurately, not have brake checked fecker in the first place)

If the fecker was willing to cut you to death, he would also shoot you to death. There are better ways to spend the day.

Sometimes people are actually in a hurry, let 'em go. Other times people are mentally unstable.

The dip-shit may have done worse than admitted (further blocking and brake checking the guy).

I drive 40-50k miles a year on my service truck and see the left lane riders all the time. They drive in the left lane for no reason, won't move when you give them the high beam flash. I like the free window washer fluid they give me as they say to them self, that will get them. The brake checks are very stupid. I get tailgated in traffic even when there is no place to move over because of cars in front of you. It doesn't bother me at all, ride as close as you want. I never feel the need to brake check them as it's stupid and puts everyone around you in danger. When someone gives me the brake check I will return the favor in some shape or form that pisses them off followed up by the laugh and wave.

I drive 40-50k miles a year on my service truck and see the left lane riders all the time. They drive in the left lane for no reason, won't move when you give them the high beam flash. I like the free window washer fluid they give me as they say to them self, that will get them. The brake checks are very stupid. I get tailgated in traffic even when there is no place to move over because of cars in front of you. It doesn't bother me at all, ride as close as you want. I never feel the need to brake check them as it's stupid and puts everyone around you in danger. When someone gives me the brake check I will return the favor in some shape or form that pisses them off followed up by the laugh and wave.

They are passive aggressive control freaks. They are doing it intentionally because they want to stop you from driving faster than they think is right.

I have no problem getting out of the way in the left lane if someone want's to go even faster then me, what I have a problem with is when someone is tailgating me when I'm already speeding and PASSING all the cars on my right. Should I speed up even more or slow down so that I can get out of this persons way and potentially cut of someone in the right lane? I will move over once I pass the line of traffic on my right but if the person behind me is really tailgating or flashing their high beams and being inpatient sometimes I'll take my foot off the the gas, not a break check but I'll slow down enough to get my point across.

Ok, I guess I better be a little clearer for the instant jailhouse defense attorneys here ><.

If I'm traveling along with traffic, and there are cars to either side (meaning I can't move over, to be clear) and some schmuck tailgates, he's getting an eyefull of wiper fluid. If I'm NOT blocked in, I move over and let the schmuck go by LONG before he gets on my @$$ (that would be my bumper, just to be clear) because I'm cheap and don't want to waste my fluid on a moron. I have ridden m'cycles for over 20 years (even raced them for almost 8 years)...if you tailgate on a m'cycle, you deserve a little wiper fluid, if for no better reason than to wash your brain and remember he weighs 2 tons and you weigh....maybe 800lbs, even on a Hardly Ableson.

I think the individual states are tools on how they "train" their drivers. We should adopt the European method, including fines.

You "washer trick" is still childish and inappropriate no matter how you try to justify it. What does it accomplish exactly? Oh man, you really showed them! Now they know who is boss around here!

They are passive aggressive control freaks. They are doing it intentionally because they want to stop you from driving faster than they think is right.

I have no problem getting out of the way in the left lane if someone want's to go even faster then me, what I have a problem with is when someone is tailgating me when I'm already speeding and PASSING all the cars on my right. Should I speed up even more or slow down so that I can get out of this persons way and potentially cut of someone in the right lane? I will move over once I pass the line of traffic on my right but if the person behind me is really tailgating or flashing their high beams and being inpatient sometimes I'll take my foot off the the gas, not a break check but I'll slow down enough to get my point across.

What's your point exactly, that you're a passive aggressive control freak? That YOU'RE passing right now and HE can wait until you're good and ready?

What is really killing me is that massachusetts drivers have been conditioned to drive like this and they don't even know it. It's no wonder our reputation is know across the country...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom