• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts LTC holder, first purchase - where to shop? Glock?

I’ve actually been researching belts for the past hour - looking for a VERY casual reversible leather belt. Something that looks like it came from Gap but just reinforced. Black on one side and brown on the other would be perfect. Suggestions appreciated!
I think you're going to find that unfortunately your best bet is to buy two belts. The upside is that they'll each wear out a little slower.

I’ve actually been researching belts for the past hour - looking for a VERY casual reversible leather belt. Something that looks like it came from Gap but just reinforced. Black on one side and brown on the other would be perfect. Suggestions appreciated!
I’m not aware of any reversible gun belts, but the belts in my previous post - Hanks and Kore - are reasonably priced so you could possibly buy two. They also often have coupons.

When you say casual do you mean canvas/nylon or plain leather?

I’m not aware of any reversible gun belts, but the belts in my previous post - Hanks and Kore - are reasonably priced so you could possibly buy two. They also often have coupons.

When you say casual do you mean canvas/nylon or plain leather?

Plain leather - I suppose by “casual” I mean a belt that shouldn’t be worn with dress pants. Just worn jeans

I run a blue alpha belt. In addition to bring awesome, Kurt is an awesome dude and SOLIDLY pro-2a... Like led a charge against NRA BS level going against the grain.

Step 1:Get a 9mm compact/full size sized gun from one of the major manufacturers:
Glock G19, Sig p320, S&W M&P 2.0, HK VP9 , CZ p10C/p07c. (if you are going the polymer route)
They are all good. Glock is the most boring (accurate, reliable, durable, inexpensive) and therefore the best [laugh]

Step 2: Buy a case of not total garbage ammo 115gr FMJ (blazer blass, american eagle)

Step 3: Shoot half your case of ammo, and buy another case of ammo.

Step 4: Repeat

Personally I think a first gun should be a general purpose gun. I would get a gun that is simple and boringly reliable, don't overthink it.
Something you can take to the range and build confidence and skill. If you get a too small gun, it's not going to be very pleasant to shoot and therefore you probably aren't going to practice as much as you should.
Also suck it up and buy a case of range ammo from somewhere like target sports so you don't feel the burn of buying a box at a time from the LGS or god forbid the range. Make sure your gun works and learn how to run it and clean it.

Also recognize that your first gun is only the first gun. For your second, third, or 34th gun you can branch out in to special purpose guns and fun guns.
A subcompact-carry (Shield, P365, etc) is a great second gun.

Welcome to the gang!
I have been on a bit of a break from NES (life gets in the way) this process outlined about is basically my journey. First gun was a g17, boring reliable and accurate great for working on skills.

then I was gifted (by my loving father) a Mark IV. Cheap ammo, super fun range toy

now my again super loving father happened to be at the LGS and loving ordered me a shield2.0 45 ( I have wanted a carry 45 for a long time)

now for a holster....

Subject says it all. Located in Mansfield and making any first handgun purchase. Where is the best place to shop? Looking to handle different handguns and get a feel for them. Also looking for some clarity around Glocks - The Gun Parlor website says that carry Glocks but mentions they are "not Massachusetts compliant". If I recall correctly, I'll only be able to purchase a Glock through a personal sale? Thanks in advance!!
If you have little to no experience with handguns, a stainless Ruger Single-Six .22 revolver with a 6.5" barrel is a good first gun. You can fire anything from low noise CB caps and Shorts, standard and high velocity LR and, with the extra cylinder, .22 magnum rounds. I fired one. Very accurate, reliable and economical.

If you have little to no experience with handguns, a stainless Ruger Single-Six .22 revolver with a 6.5" barrel is a good first gun. You can fire anything from low noise CB caps and Shorts, standard and high velocity LR and, with the extra cylinder, .22 magnum rounds. I fired one. Very accurate, reliable and economical.
As long as you don't need a gun for self defense. 22 is a great training tool, but a little light in the ass for self defense.
And if you are going to carry a semiauto pistol, buying a Ruger wheel gun is like buying a golf cart to practice driving your new corvette. They both have pedals and a steering wheel, but that's where the similarities end.

I have been on a bit of a break from NES (life gets in the way) this process outlined about is basically my journey. First gun was a g17, boring reliable and accurate great for working on skills.

then I was gifted (by my loving father) a Mark IV. Cheap ammo, super fun range toy

now my again super loving father happened to be at the LGS and loving ordered me a shield2.0 45 ( I have wanted a carry 45 for a long time)

now for a holster....
Don’t buy from Amazon b/c they are commies but this is the holster I got for my .45 Shield

Barsony New Inside The Waistband Gun Holster for Compact Sub-Compact 9mm .40 .45 Amazon product ASIN B00DF97VZAView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DF97VZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PP5937GBBKCFDS5S0DGW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As a newbie myself, and one going through a similar experience as @russiandressing, I just wanted to jump in and share my appreciation for this post. Lots of good suggestions and discussion. Thank you all for that! I just wish I was shopping back when she was! Thankfully, inventory seems to be improving a bit since I started looking a few months ago, but prices are brutal. Tis the price to pay for my procrastination in getting this done. I’m trying lots of stuff out at MFS though (G17, p320, VP9, FN509, etc) while I await my LTC. It has been a fun process!

As a newbie myself, and one going through a similar experience as @russiandressing, I just wanted to jump in and share my appreciation for this post. Lots of good suggestions and discussion. Thank you all for that! I just wish I was shopping back when she was! Thankfully, inventory seems to be improving a bit since I started looking a few months ago, but prices are brutal. Tis the price to pay for my procrastination in getting this done. I’m trying lots of stuff out at MFS though (G17, p320, VP9, FN509, etc) while I await my LTC. It has been a fun process!
Go green 👍

As long as you don't need a gun for self defense. 22 is a great training tool, but a little light in the ass for self defense.
And if you are going to carry a semiauto pistol, buying a Ruger wheel gun is like buying a golf cart to practice driving your new corvette. They both have pedals and a steering wheel, but that's where the similarities end.
The advice of "start with a .22" is common, however, I am not aware of any police or military agency that starts out trainees on a .22 and works up.

I am guessing that the Mossad hit squads that use .22s actually start training with that weapon after they are experienced with conventional battle calibers.

The advice of "start with a .22" is common, however, I am not aware of any police or military agency that starts out trainees on a .22 and works up.
I have been saying this for years. The United States military has trained literally tens of millions of people to shoot with .45acp and 9mm.
I qualified with the 1911 near the end of it's service with no problems using an old Colt that was probably 5 times older than I was. I remember thinking that I wonder how many Marines had fired that old pistol through the years.
The first time I fired a 9mm I was shocked at how mild the recoils was in the full sized Baretta 92. It is like shooting a .22 in comparison. Everyone liked the increased capacity, but everyone also questioned the effectiveness of the round vs the 45.

Last edited:

I am guessing that the Mossad hit squads that use .22s actually start training with that weapon after they are experienced with conventional battle calibers.
That might explain why many/most US law enforcement officers have such a horrible hit rate, they learn to flinch at an early point in their career and never practice enough to get good at it.

The first time I fired a 9mm I was shocked at how mild the recoils was in the full sized Baretta 92. It is like shooting a .22 in comparison. Everyone liked the increased capacity, but everyone also questioned the effectiveness on the round vs the 45.
i shot tons of .22 as a kid and then a teen, and i still only see it is a kids round. cheap, no recoil, guns are feather light...
i am getting a rifle in .22lr now, but, the only reason is to get kids to it, as i just cannot let them start with a 6.5CM at $2 a pop. or a .223 at 100yd - they need to learn like i did, at 10/25yds with something simple and cheap.

Most police and military agencies are training people that are young, fit, and athletic. So they have some big advantages over the average population of new shooters.

My advice to new shooters is that if you want to get good, you need to shoot several thousand rounds in the first couple of years. For most people, this is much more viable with a .22, but that is not always necessary. So I tell them that they will most likely want a 9mm and a .22, and it does not matter that much which one they buy first. My advice is "buy the one you want, and be prepared to buy the other one, depending on how your training goes."

4ztz7f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom