• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts LTB? ("License to "Bulge")

GlockJock

NES Member
Just happened today at lunch... Chelsea restaurant.. My friends and I (four of us) at a table. We're all LTC.. One guy gets up and walks toward men's room...Two cops (one is a County Sheriff, one is Chelsea cop) are sitting in booth near restroom as my friend passes by them while heading into men's room.
On his way back out he passes the same booth. Sheriff looks/grins at him, points to him to get his attention and says "Have a permit for that?". Our friend stops and says "Permit? For what?"... Cop says "For the revolver in your pocket"..(friend wears Levi style jeans, they're the light blue/faded color and yes, he was, by his own admission, "printing" slightly.. He pocket carries a S&W)...
Our pal is half stunned, half taken aback by the question, but it's two cops... So he says "Yes, SirI do"... Cop says "Can I see it?" and instead of pushing his luck (and since our friend isn't as "Screw you.. Probable cause?" as the rest of us are. He's the "quiet" nice guy among usy, basically) . So he complies, pulls his wallet and shows the LTC... Cop doesn't even really look at it at all, but instead basically half grins/half nods and says "OK, you're good"... As our friend starts to walk away, Sheriff says "So whaddya carry?" and they have a quick conversation on guns and stuff... Cop is "actually a pretty good dude" our friend tells us when he returns to our table, as we're all basically excoriatiing him for "Kneeling and Complying" etc to the cop's "polite demand to see" a LTC.... I'm basically beside myself, easily the most pissed of all of us (no surprise, for those here who know me and my "Bleed 2A" thoughts and feelings). But our friend just dismisses it as a "Meh, whatever, it's really no big deal"

And, needless to say, I couldn't wait to post this here and ask the the NES experts on this: If it were me and I'd said something along the lines of "Excuse me, sir? Unless you suspect me of being a felon, what's the basis for you to ask the question, Sir?" or something along those 2A/4A lines...

So... What's exactly the deal here in the Republik? Was the cop OK in asking? (can't believe he was, but in MA nothing surprises me anymore) ... Oh, and not to mention that we were about two blocks from the Chelsea Projects. Nothing potentially unlawful going on there, I'm certain, eh?

[emoji35]

Took me a while to find it. MGL Chapter 140 Section 129C which reads, in part:

Any person who, while not being within the limits of his own property or residence, or such person whose property or residence is under lawful search, and who is not exempt under this section, shall on demand of a police officer or other law enforcement officer, exhibit his license to carry firearms, or his firearm identification card

Full text here: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129C

Sounds like a whole lot of nothing.
I'm sure someone will be along to scream "Merrica !!! Kill the pigs !!" though.
You guys should have invited them to the range.

^^^this...why get butt hurt about it...maybe he was gay and was just looking for a convo starter to hit on your buddy
Cuz being "stopped" for no reason seems like an invasion. I mean WTF?... And in this restaurant I'm guessing 30 percent of the people dining there (and probably 90 percent of the workers) aren't citizens and there had to be at least six dudes who looked Iike they were dealing something - and I don't mean blackjack...

I'm very non-confrontational (a necessary precaution to of having my 0-60 temper) Personally I feel the same way as you, but I try not make trouble if there isn't any in the first place. In the same situation I most likely would have acted the same way as your friend. I live in a small town and worked the only 24 hour store for 10 miles so I know most of the local cops, if not by name then by face. As long as they treat me with respect (which they always have) I have no reason not to comply. I have nothing to hide. If I felt my rights were being violated ie them asking to search my person or property I would react differently, but printing and being asked if I have a permit I wouldn't feel too miffed, especially two blocks from the Chelsea projects. I mean like you said, no chance of anyone unlawfully carrying there right?

Also, tell your buddy that tight jeans aren't a good look for guys. [wink]

I disagree. We just gotta work for it ;)

Last edited:
In MA, if a cop asks you for your LTC, you are required by law to produce it.

Yes, but there's a whole legal procedural/bullshit dance cycle around this issue, but I forget all the details. Maybe the threshold in this case was broken because the guy was printing. I remember a BPD guy telling me about this, but it might be just procedural BS they have to follow, and if they don't, it can put holes in the charges.

-Mike

Last edited:
Cuz being "stopped" for no reason seems like an invasion. I mean WTF?... And in this restaurant I'm guessing 30 percent of the people dining there (and probably 90 percent of the workers) aren't citizens and there had to be at least six dudes who looked Iike they were dealing something - and I don't mean blackjack...

At least your buddy didn't point to the table you were sitting at and say to the cops... 'why are you picking on me? Those 3 guys are carrying too'!

you should by all means be a dick and start screaming at the questioner and cause as big a scene as possible, all while recording it on your phone to post on youtube later.

/sarcasm

Seriously, wgaf? Show him the permit and move on. Do you lose your sh*t when the gun store asks before selling you something too?? God almighty.

Back
Top Bottom