Massachusetts Licenses to Carry in 1924

The Boston Globe - and unbroken streak of 96 years of documented editorial hatred of the 2nd amendment.

Notice the 96 year old position of "only cops need guns", with the reference to the National Guard as their canard.
Leftists and elitists never change their stripes.

Did anyone notice that even back then, permits were “may-issue” and “suitability” was standard operating procedure?

Started in 1909 with the first permit system to keep the Scots, Irish, and Italians (labor rabble rousers and anarchists!11 at the time) disarmed. Later expanded to every other group the Yankee Snobs and later Curley's Irish machine didn't like.

One interesting piece of history from that time period, where Mass law enforcement was battling anarchists, is right outside the Holmes Courtroom (I think Courtroom No. 1?). There's bomb blast marks and I think bullet holes on the stairwell next to the Holmes Courtroom.

In 1920 there was a bombing on Wall St. outside the NY Stock Exchange widely believed to have been carried out by anarchists. The building at 23 Wall St. still has scars in its facade from the shrapnel from the bomb. Wall Street bombing - Wikipedia

In 1920 there was a bombing on Wall St. outside the NY Stock Exchange widely believed to have been carried out by anarchists. The building at 23 Wall St. still has scars in its facade from the shrapnel from the bomb. Wall Street bombing - Wikipedia

A BPD station in the North End was bombed by anarchists in December 1916.

There was a massive rash of anarchist bombings, nationwide, in 1919, including against judges and legislators here in Boston.

It was a different era.

Re the crowd stomping the cop.

Per family oral history, an ancestor was a BPD officer, and was arresting someone in Scollay Square. While he was waiting for the Black Mariah, a crowd of the aresstee's friends converged, and said, "You're not taking him anywhere."

Ancestor drew his firearm, and said, "I'll shoot the first one of you that takes a step towards me."

"Ah, you're bluffing," said one guy, who stepped forward.

Bang. He wasn't bluffing. [shocked]

Guess he didn't want to get stomped?

And now, the rest of the story. The impetus behind the Globe's inquiry into licenses to carry was the violence resulting from local gatherings of the second iteration of the Ku Klux Klan and the "anti-Klansmen," presumably largely Catholics, that confronted them.

Fitchburg Sentinel
Wednesday, July 30, 1924
Page 1
img.jpeg
img (1).jpeg
Page 11
img (4).jpeg
Page 1
img (2).jpeg
Page 2
img (3).jpeg

Boston Evening Globe
Wednesday, July 30, 1924
Page 1
img (7).jpeg
img (8).jpeg
Page 7
img (9).jpeg

The Berkshire County Eagle
Wednesday, July 30, 1924
Page 1
img (11).jpeg

Fitchburg Sentinel
Thursday, July 31, 1924
Page 1
img (13).jpeg
img (14).jpeg

The Boston Daily Globe
Thursday, July 31, 1924
Page 2
img (12).jpeg

The Boston Daily Globe
Friday, August 1, 1924
Page 1
img (19).jpeg
Page 4
img (20).jpeg

The Boston Evening Globe
Friday, August 1, 1924
Page 1
img (5).jpeg
img (15).jpeg
Page 5
img (16).jpeg

The Boston Daily Globe
Saturday, August 2, 1924
Page 1
img (17).jpeg
Page 8
img (18).jpeg

A BPD station in the North End was bombed by anarchists in December 1916.

There was a massive rash of anarchist bombings, nationwide, in 1919, including against judges and legislators here in Boston.

It was a different era.
No different from today when you think of it. Deny people of their God given rights because someone does something wrong. Punish the criminals. Never mind bombings so they banned guns? Obviously they had no comprehension of the constitution and the reason it exists.

No different from today when you think of it. Deny people of their God given rights because someone does something wrong. Punish the criminals. Never mind bombings so they banned guns? Obviously they had no comprehension of the constitution and the reason it exists.

No different?

Are anarchists still bombing courts and police stations here? I hadn't heard.

36 mail bombs in April alone. Think about what the .gov would do if that was happening now.

No different?

1919 was a particularly brutal year. There was:

*Spanish flu
*Post war economic recession in the midst of de-mob
*Anarchists
*The Red Terror and anti-communist raids
*Strikes and strike-breaking
*Race riots
*Immigration from destroyed former empires
*A president suffering from strokes and mental and physical breakdown
*Prohibition

That era had massive amounts of government overreach and infringements on individual liberty. Which then set up the modern wars on drugs and guns and led to the NFA. Both sides of the political spectrum were goose-stepping their way towards our current lack of individual liberty.

Norwood had a healthy 83. This article after reading the first few paragraphs, just shows you how even back then it was in the states media’s eyes, it was us against the goverment. We are trying to change that ?

yeah, Framingham had 7, but there were probably 6 people living there at the time.

So did anyone notice that this is about "pistols" and other easily concealable weapons like sword canes etc?

The punishments were like year in prison for giving fake name, i.e. not giving a shit about registration. 6mo for selling. In some states you can still sell long guns without any kind of records.

yeah, Framingham had 7, but there were probably 6 people living there at the time.

So did anyone notice that this is about "pistols" and other easily concealable weapons like sword canes etc?

The punishments were like year in prison for giving fake name, i.e. not giving a shit about registration. 6mo for selling. In some states you can still sell long guns without any kind of records.

Most gun control up until the last thirty years around the world was focused on handguns and full-auto weapons. I could write a paper on this topic alone.

Yes, the AWB was a game-changer. It's turning out to be the gift that keeps on giving, precedent-wise, for the antis.

Brilliant strategic move for them.

Started in 1909 with the first permit system to keep the Scots, Irish, and Italians (labor rabble rousers and anarchists! at the time) disarmed. Later expanded to every other group the Yankee Snobs and later Curley's Irish machine didn't like.

Sounds like a northern version of Jim Crow laws to me . . .

Did anyone notice that even back then, permits were “may-issue” and “suitability” was standard operating procedure?

What we need to understand is the historical view of CCW in post-Revolutionary, and definitely post-civil-war America. Gun carrying went down and down and down via legislation.

Keep in mind that FL and TX got CCW rights in the 80's. What we consider to be Constitutional Carry hasn't been the law of the land in 200 years or so.

Mind you, I think ConCarry is 100% how it should be, MA was actually fairly progressive when it came to CCW rights in 1924. (VT being the obvious exception because those people are weird.)

And yes, all CCW laws were to protect against a class or race of citizens.

Sounds like a northern version of Jim Crow laws to me . . .

They are, and if you look into the legal scholarship of how the gun control laws are crafted, the gaming of enforcement, vague statutes, behavior of local courts, it's a carbon copy of the Jim Crow era south. It's coy bigotry and if the DoJ was serious about Civil Rights the states pulling this shit would be subject to the same type of oversight as states under federal premption for voting rights because of past abuses.

No different?

36 mail bombs in April alone. Think about what the .gov would do if that was happening now.
Nope no difference. Look at all the school/mass shootings, 9/11 and marathon bombings and anthrax attacks. The anarchists are the .gov! Their first reaction to a situation is to undermine the constitution. Bottom line is these people don't care about their oath of office or the constitution or what it actually means and stands for. What ever is convenient for them at that time. I think today people are more aware of .gov encroachments on the constitution.

Just for clarification: the Texas CHL law passed in 1996, and the first licenses were issued in 1997.

One of the things that got the Texas CHL law passed was the 1991 Luby's Cafeteria shooting in Killeen, Texas. Successful passage of a shall-issue law had to wait until Ann Richards, a Democrat, was replaced by George W. Bush in 1995.

Back
Top Bottom