• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Legislature Voting on Anti-Civil Rights Bill TODAY!

I understand but the issue isn't that the $100 wasn't enough to support the yearly reoccurring database costs.
The change was made in response to the decision so therefore has no basis in anything other than punishment for enjoying an enumerated right.
You know that and I know that. But our opinions don't matter. Will the appropriate court see it that way? We can hope so, but I'm just not sure they will. [thinking]

I understand but the issue isn't that the $100 wasn't enough to support the yearly reoccurring database costs.
The change was made in response to the decision so therefore has no basis in anything other than punishment for enjoying an enumerated right.
The game the other side plays is called "taking territory". Anything, no matter how small, that reduces gun rights, increases expenses for gun owners, or causes aggravation is territory. This was primarily a "cleanup" bill removing now obsolete stuff like reference to restrictions, however, tacticians on the other side saw an opportunity and took it. They will claim victory because non-renewals after 3 years will reduce the number of licensed gun owners, which is one of their goals.

There is no reference, either way, to due process in the suitability clauses - other than to clarify it is not "any reason the issuing authority deems reasonable" but rather "potential for dangerousness" .... a distinction the courts are likely to ignore. Pretty much business as usual there.

my email exchange with Scanlon. That twat Rausch never responded.

really?? Most departments can't even meet the 40 day turnaround requirement now... I'm sure you are aware of that requirement, right? and they wish to double their work? Why don't you propose a financial penalty for departments not meeting the 40 day deadline? Or is this truly another money grab penalty for gun owners? We all know that MA anti-gun pols were pissed about the Bruen decision. This legislation is both just a way to penalize gun owners by doubling the fees and filling the state coffers. It does nothing to deter crime. IF anything, it deters low income residents from exercising their constitutional rights due to excessive cost. You know that.

V

On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 07:57:14 PM EDT, Scanlon, Adam - Rep. (HOU) <[email protected]> wrote:
I spoke to our Police Chief and he was in support of it, I passed along a copy of the text for him to read and spoke to him after.

Thank you,
Adam
So you mean to tell me that this legislation has the support of police departments? I doubt it. And that there was no opportunity for public comment. It was added to a completely irrelevant bill. Whole thing stinks to high heaven. You should be ashamed for supporting this kind of lawmaking.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/24/22 1:31 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: V
Subject: Re: HD.5245, An Act Relative to Restoring Civil Rights
Hi ,

Hope you are well. I appreciate your feedback on this issue and I did take this into consideration as well as feedback from our public safety officials. If you’d like to discuss more please feel free to give me a call.

Thank you,
Adam

On Jul 22, 2022, at 10:57 AM, V wrote:
from Bruen.

Rather, it appears that these shall-issue regimes, which often require applicants to undergo a background check or pass a firearms safety course, are designed to ensure only that those bearing arms in the jurisdiction are, in fact, “law-abiding, responsible citizens.” Ibid. And they likewise appear to contain only “narrow, objective, and definite standards” guiding licensing officials, Shuttlesworth v. Birmingham, 394 U. S. 147, 151 (1969), rather than requiring the “appraisal of facts, the exercise of judgment, and the formation of an opinion,” Cantwell v. Connecticut, 310 U. S. 296, 305 (1940)—features that typify proper-cause standards like New York’s. That said, because any permitting scheme can be put toward abusive ends, we do not rule out constitutional challenges to shall-issue regimes where, for example, lengthy wait times in processing license applications or exorbitant fees deny ordinary citizens their right to public carry.

V

On Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 01:53:53 PM EDT, V wrote:

Adam,

I think you know where I stand on the current bill text in Amendment 13 "Licensure" to H. 5046. Bruen v NYSPRA effectively shot down the whole "suitability" standard for firearm licensure. Not sure why MA legislature would try to circumvent that by passing laws codifying "suitability" that will eventually get shot down in court again. Maybe you all just want to waste taxpayer money fighting this battle again.

Cutting the LTC duration from 6 yrs to 3 yrs is effectively a way for the state to penalize gun owners by effectively doubling the fees, as well as a money grab by the legislature. You would never get away with doing this with car registrations, or any professional licensure, so why do it to gun owners?

Finally, the amendment calls for in-person interviews not only for 1st time applicants, but for renewals. Have you seen the wait times at some departments? They can't even comply with the toothless law of 40 day turnaround and you want to dump more work on them? And for what reason, to deter people from renewing, or renewing on time?

Please vote against this useless legislation.

V

On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 12:28:04 PM EDT, Scanlon, Adam - Rep. (HOU) <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello ,

Thank you for reaching out, hope you and your family are well. I will take a look at this bill and speak to Rep. Turco about this as he is my office mate. I'm not sure if this bill has enough time to receive a public hearing this late in the session however I will give it a read through.

Thank you,

Adam J. Scanlon
State Representative 14th Bristol
Massachusetts House of Representatives
www.officeofrepscanlon.com
Subscribe for our office newsletter!
C: (508) 838-3928

Sent: Monday, July 11, 2022 9:46 PM
To: Rausch, Becca (SEN) <[email protected]>; Scanlon, Adam - Rep. (HOU) <[email protected]>
Subject:HD.5245, An Act Relative to Restoring Civil Rights

As one of your constituents, I ask you to please co-sponsor this important piece of legislation put forth by Rep Turco. Thank you.

So if they're going to make us get our anal cavities probed every 3 years now, does that mean we can at least get a NICS exception for LTC holders?
Yep. 5 years or less and you don't have to have a background check done at the time of sale. Someone tell those idiots that little fact and watch how fast that money grab is taken out of the bill. They can't cut the license duration by so much as a year.

Just goes to show how well thought out these bills are.

Yep. 5 years or less and you don't have to have a background check done at the time of sale. Someone tell those idiots that little fact and watch how fast that money grab is taken out of the bill. They can't cut the license duration by so much as a year.

Just goes to show how well thought out these bills are.
Explain, please?

Explain, please?
Per fed. regs. if a CCW (LTC) license is renewed every 5 years or less, a background check is not required to be done by the FFL at the time of sale (If you have a CCW). Just fill out the ATF 4473 form like you always do. Pay for the gun and go home. In many states you don't need a license just to buy/own, only to carry. If you don't have a CCW they still do the background check.

They are trying to get more money by making you renew the license every 3 years instead of every 6. Doubling their revenue. Of course they will say it is because it is safer if they check you out twice as often. But by doing that they will trigger that fed. reg. and effectively eliminate ALL background checks in MA.

Since you can't buy/own without a license in MA, that means that every single gun sold by an FFL in the state would be sold without there being a background check preformed. I laugh thinking about how many heads would explode if someone actually sat the bill's sponsors down and threatened to out them on social media as "trying to stop background checks in MA" [rofl2]

ETA: I just thought about FIDs. Do they still have those in MA? If so then it wouldn't be "all" guns sales, but close enough. It would still be every gun bought for carry purposes...

Last edited:
They are trying to get more money by making you renew the license every 3 years instead of every 6. Doubling their revenue. Of course they will say it is because it is safer if they check you out twice as often. But by doing that they will trigger that fed. reg. and effectively eliminate ALL background checks in MA.
Doubtful. The real reason is someone introduced to take territory in the battle against gun ownership, and the majority just went along with "seems like a good idea".

The interview requirement is to underscore the idea that the police use their skills to determine if someone is suitable via an interrogation lite.

GOAL needs to stop playing Checkers and start playing some goddamn Chess. Use their own tactics against them...
In this case, this bill, which was not debated on at all at the legislative level, is fundamentally Racist, and was written by elite political racists, and is simply a continuance of Massachusetts long history of enacting racist legal policy wherever possible. It is racist because it disproportionately, and deliberately, targets and puts undue financial burden on Low Income areas in Massachusetts. Areas which are also predominantly occupied by minority classes in Massachusetts; effectively denying them, through added financial burden, of their fundamental natural right to Self Defense as enshrined in the 2nd Amendment and confirmed by this latest Supreme Court Decision with Bruen.
Does the single mother of three in Lawrence living in low income housing not have as much of a right to self defense as someone living in Boxford?

Per fed. regs. if a CCW (LTC) license is renewed every 5 years or less, a background check is not required to be done by the FFL at the time of sale (If you have a CCW). Just fill out the ATF 4473 form like you always do. Pay for the gun and go home. In many states you don't need a license just to buy/own, only to carry. If you don't have a CCW they still do the background check.

Since you can't buy/own without a license in MA, that means that every single gun sold by an FFL in the state would be sold without there being a background check preformed. I laugh thinking about how many heads would explode if someone actually sat the bill's sponsors down and threatened to out them on social media as "trying to stop background checks in MA" [rofl2]

ETA: I just thought about FIDs. Do they still have those in MA? If so then it wouldn't be "all" guns sales, but close enough. It would still be every gun bought for carry purposes...

It does require an ATF exemption, though, and you can bet the dipshit antis would lobby against it hard. It's not just an automatic thing, the ATF has to actually recognize the permit as exempt under Brady.

Permanent Brady Permit Chart | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

You know that and I know that. But our opinions don't matter. Will the appropriate court see it that way? We can hope so, but I'm just not sure they will. [thinking]
Is there some mechanism to notify the courts? How about a memo?

This was primarily a "cleanup" bill removing now obsolete stuff like reference to restrictions
Does it actually DO that? This was discussed in the other thread. Even though restrictions were removed, there is still a placeholder.

Why don't you propose a financial penalty for departments not meeting the 40 day deadline?
Or at least waive the LTC cost. + 1$ per day over.

Yep. 5 years or less and you don't have to have a background check done at the time of sale
Really? By Federal law?

Haven't received an update from GOAL with the Senate bill number. Ony 1 week left so hopefully there's pushback from PD's and Senators.

Haven't received an update from GOAL with the Senate bill number. Ony 1 week left so hopefully there's pushback from PD's and Senators.
And if yoou are bored, the senate is in session and you can watch live. We can see if they bypass most processes and railroad it through.

You should also write the Governor, notwithstanding whatever the Senate ends up doing on this bill this week. If he happened to VETO the bill (unlikely?) after 7-31 the legislature will not have the opportunity to override his veto because they will be out of session after 7-31. Unfortunately, as we know, the offensive to us parts are an amendment to another bill (Judiciary IT needs) making it more unlikely he would veto that. He is a cuck anyways and does not care about us.

But you never know . . .

my email exchange with Scanlon. That twat Rausch never responded.

really?? Most departments can't even meet the 40 day turnaround requirement now... I'm sure you are aware of that requirement, right? and they wish to double their work? Why don't you propose a financial penalty for departments not meeting the 40 day deadline? Or is this truly another money grab penalty for gun owners? We all know that MA anti-gun pols were pissed about the Bruen decision. This legislation is both just a way to penalize gun owners by doubling the fees and filling the state coffers. It does nothing to deter crime. IF anything, it deters low income residents from exercising their constitutional rights due to excessive cost. You know that.

V

On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 07:57:14 PM EDT, Scanlon, Adam - Rep. (HOU) <[email protected]> wrote:
I spoke to our Police Chief and he was in support of it, I passed along a copy of the text for him to read and spoke to him after.

Thank you,
Adam
How much you want to bet he didn’t even ask the C.O.P.?

You should also write the Governor, notwithstanding whatever the Senate ends up doing on this bill this week. If he happened to VETO the bill (unlikely?) after 7-31 the legislature will not have the opportunity to override his veto because they will be out of session after 7-31. Unfortunately, as we know, the offensive to us parts are an amendment to another bill (Judiciary IT needs) making it more unlikely he would veto that. He is a cuck anyways and does not care about us.

But you never know . . .

In MA, doesn't the Governor have line item veto ability?

In MA, doesn't the Governor have line item veto ability?
From mass.gov

"Once the Legislature approves its budget, it is sent back to the Governor who has 10 days to review the budget. The Governor may approve the entire budget, veto the entire budget, or veto and reduce specific line items. The Governor may not add any items to the budget at this time."

How much you want to bet he didn’t even ask the C.O.P.?
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all if many of the state's CoPs are not unhappy at all about the new terms. Yes, there is twice the workload for someone in the department, but I'll bet many feel it's worth it to retain the heavy hand of control they had before Bruen. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom