• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts Legislature reaches 'grand bargain' on $15 minimum wage, sales tax holiday, paid leave

How does this grand compromise keep duly certified initiative questions off the ballot (as is claimed by the article) ?

There are advantages to living within minutes of the NH border.
I imagine at some point they will institute check points to keeps the serfs trapped on this side of the line.
NH gets a chit ton of my money every year that if it weren't for this state's asshattery would be getting spent here.

Well you still pay use tax on what you buy out of state right? Cause they need to get their taste

Ballot questions are pointless when the legislature decides to ignore the results anyhow.

Yeah, but they sure didn't ignore it when the dumbasses in this state voted to raise the sales tax. I'm sure a vote to reduce it would get the same attention.

The benefits would be paid for by employer contributions to a new state Family and Employment Security Trust Fund.

I wonder if that's anything like the Social Security Trust Fund? Meaning the government will take people's money and loan it to itself so it can spend it, and it'll call the debt an "asset".

what I love about the bacon hill thieves, create another slush fund to borrow (steal) from:

It would also establish a paid family and medical leave program. People would be eligible for leave to take care of a newborn or newly adopted child, to deal with a health issue, to care for a family member or to deal with a family member's absence due to military service.

The leave would be 12 weeks for family leave, 20 weeks for medical leave and up to 26 weeks to cover for a service member or 26 weeks total in a year. A person's job would be protected.

The first week would be unpaid, although an employee could use accrued leave. If someone is earning less than 50 percent of the average state wage, they would be paid 80 percent of their salary during their leave. If they are earning more than that, they would be paid 50 percent of their salary. The maximum pay would be $850 a week, a figure that would be adjusted annually.

The benefits would be paid for by employer contributions to a new state Family and Employment Security Trust Fund. Only businesses larger than 25 workers would have to pay into the fund.

This seems like a giant boondoggle however I'm not sure that a $15 minimum wage is such a terrible thing by the year, what, 2022? In Massachusetts, I mean - based on the cost of living and such. The rest - blech.

This seems like a giant boondoggle however I'm not sure that a $15 minimum wage is such a terrible thing by the year, what, 2022? In Massachusetts, I mean - based on the cost of living and such. The rest - blech.
yaaa suuuure. Nothing wrong with a little communism. Or a lot.

How does this grand compromise keep duly certified initiative questions off the ballot (as is claimed by the article) ?

It allows the "Gimmesum'pin" group that is sponsoring the $15/hr//Family-leave bullspit to get a W without having to test the waters. So they can remove it. What they are hoping is that a minor Sales Tax Holiday (which does zip - I have a client who works for a furniture store - it just MOVES their sales, it does not increase them) will get the sales-tax question off the ballot.

I'm REALLY hoping the Retailers Assn sees this for what it is and keeps the question. Then they back off of this and I send some STUPID money to fight to defeat the second question. I'm in it to win it. I'll spend more than I'll save just to get this crap turned around. If we won on both of these, it's a triple-whammy. No graduated tax, lower sales tax (until the Leg decides otherwise) and no stupid FLA stuff that costs us more in taxes.

I wonder how may friends of legislators will have to be hired, with full state benefits, to administer this trust fund.

Don't kid yourself. The second reach-around is the people responsible for the dumb-ass ballot question will be hired to administer it, of course. LOL

Geez - I just quoted you twice. Not stalking you or anything, Rob. BTW - don't wear that shirt again, it doesn't flatter you. But the shoes are nice. LOL

I don't know what the labor laws are today, but it sounds like a recipe for making sure entry level jobs go away.

And that's exactly what we've already been seeing with entry level jobs. Order takers at fast food restaurants are being replaced with kiosks and/or mobile apps to allow you to place your order before you even get there. Self checkout is becoming more common and self-serve gas is now the norm.

YAY! Government did something!!

Sarcasm.

Anyway, it's pathetic. Wow, 25 or fewer employees. How the hell is any company supposed to grow? NH looks pretty damn good, don't it? Any company with half a clue will pick up and move over the border.

I wonder if this will change Amazon's plans at all. I mean, Jeff Bezos is a POS social justice warrior, but he ain't stupid when it comes to money. Manchester's probably looking pretty good to their number crunchers right about now.

Why not just give them $25 bucks an hour and save ourselves the trouble of having to go through this whole damn process again in another couple of years. The democrats have become the new modern day Robin Hoods, they steal from the rich and just give it to the poor and the lazy and the illegals.

I need some help finding this one, but didn't MA have a ballot question a decade or 2 ago to eliminate sales tax? I believe that question passed with flying colors, but it was apparently non binding and ignored by legislatures. There was also a push in 2010, where the question to roll back the 6.25 to 3%. That somehow failed.

PS: anyone else now feel like they got ripped of in high school working for only $4.25/hr ?

The Democrats in the nanny state have nothing but disdain for those operating at the margin, trying to make it with minimum wage jobs and resisting the warm embrace of the welfare state. Despite knowing full well the damage an artificially high minimum wage does to the employment prospects for the people who work them, this legislation serves two purposes:

1 - The "gimme" crowd (a large part of the Dems' base) are totally ignorant to the negative impact of what they are demanding and have bought into the false hype. Supporting the $15/hr minimum ingratiates the Dems with this key constituency.

2 - The number of available minimum wage jobs will shrink, thus driving more people into full dependence on the welfare state and growing it considerably.

This my friends is a classic win-win.

I remember working in high school and thinking getting $7.50 an hour working as a manager for McDonalds was great after starting at $6.75 and busting my butt for promotions and raises. Give it 6 months or a year and the same agitators will be demanding an even higher wage or some "living wage" that they will never specify what that would be.

$2.10 was my starting wage and I'm not that old. (Restaurant work. I'd work a 6 hr shift and get $4 in tips plus the $2.10/hr. I was busboy. I recall the day the owner told the waitresses they needed to kick in an extra $1 each. One quit. SHE FREAKING QUIT. Over giving me a dollar. Wow.) I think minimum was $3.35 at the time.

The Democrats in the nanny state have nothing but disdain for those operating at the margin, trying to make it with minimum wage jobs and resisting the warm embrace of the welfare state. Despite knowing full well the damage an artificially high minimum wage does to the employment prospects for the people who work them, this legislation serves two purposes:

1 - The "gimme" crowd (a large part of the Dems' base) are totally ignorant to the negative impact of what they are demanding and have bought into the false hype. Supporting the $15/hr minimum ingratiates the Dems with this key constituency.

2 - The number of available minimum wage jobs will shrink, thus driving more people into full dependence on the welfare state and growing it considerably.

This my friends is a classic win-win.

Exactly. This is exclusively designed to increase the ranks of the free shit army by forcing those on the margin but still keeping their heads above water to finally sink for good and become reliant upon government handouts.

$2.10 was my starting wage and I'm not that old. (Restaurant work. I'd work a 6 hr shift and get $4 in tips plus the $2.10/hr. I was busboy. I recall the day the owner told the waitresses they needed to kick in an extra $1 each. One quit. SHE FREAKING QUIT. Over giving me a dollar. Wow.) I think minimum was $3.35 at the time.
My starting wage was $2.10/hr and it didn't come with tips (which gives us a clue as to how much older I am than you).

"Only businesses larger than 25 workers would have to pay into the fund."
Any company that's able to will keep their workforce at 25 or less.

Is that full time only? In that case, 50 or 60 part time employees instead of 26 full timers.

Back
Top Bottom