massachusetts house bill h.1305

Anyone looking to support Bill H.1305, which would legalize sound suppressors for use in MA, please contact your state representative and senator https://malegislature.gov/People/FindMyLegislator and ask them to support the bill as well. Feel free to use what I have started below for your letter.

Hello Sir.

My name is _______________ of ______________, MA. I am writing today to express my support for Bill H.1305 and urge you to contact the Judiciary Committee in support of the same. Bill H.1305 seeks to bring Massachusetts law into conformity with the vast majority of other states regarding the use of sound suppression devices for firearms by its citizens. One of the reasons that these devices have been so heavily regulated in the past is due to misconceptions of what they actually do. Much like a muffler on a car does not make the car completely silent, a firearm sound suppressor does not make the report of a gunshot completely silent. For the sake of comparison, an average suppressed rifle round has a report of approximately 135 decibels. This is the same level of noise as an air raid siren, a device which no one would argue is "silent". Another comparison is that of the popular .22 lr round. This round is commonly used for target shooting and for introducing new people to the sport. A suppressed shot from an average .22 lr rifle has a report of about 115 decibels. This is still louder than a chainsaw, another device which would be difficult to classify as "silent".

I support this bill because it will help to protect firearm enthusiasts across our state. Being exposed to any noise above 140 decibels for any amount of time will cause permanent and irreversible damage to your hearing. Firearm sound suppressors lower the report of a firearm to a level that is safe for the operator and those around them. Sound suppressors also help to increase general firearms safety by allowing everyone to maintain open communication without the hindrance of earmuff or plugs.

Again, I urge you to please contact the Judiciary Committee in support of this bill H.1305

Thank you,

▶ Show quoted text

Back
Top Bottom