• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts fireworks fans blast Bay State ban

Fireworks fans blast Bay State ban
Turn to New Hampshire, Rhode Island for fun

SEABROOK, N.H. - Bay Staters who flooded across state lines yesterday to stock up for the Fourth of July were shooting off a couple of days early - taking aim at the fireworks ban back home.

“I think the law is pretty ridiculous,” said Eric Wharton, 25, who had just filled a bag with $100 worth of goodies such as “Black Cat: Out of Sight” whistling missiles.

In Massachusetts, buying or possessing any kind of fireworks can result in a fine of up to $100. The sale of fireworks can result in a fine of up to $1,000 and even jail time. And, the cops will take the goods.

READ MORE

fireworks are dangerous and bad.

I just saw on TV where poor, innocnet mannequins and watermellons got hurt when fireworks were tied to them! [shocked]

SOmething's gotta be done to protect store displays and fruit.

And, since the porple of Mass are given the same degree of credit as the abouve items in the "smarts" department, the people, too.....[sad]

I was sitting at a construction site last night in Otis - waiting for the one-lane road light to turn green. The people behind me and the cop in front of me were all entertained by the brilliant display of patriotism being launched out of a back yard party...

About 10 years ago, I was picking up a friend of mine that lived in West Lynn. It was July 3rd. After picking him up, we drove by a street where there were about 3 or 4 little kids in the middle of the street lighting off fireworks. A Lynn Police cruiser passed us going the other way, towards the kids. I thought to myself "aww c'mon, let the kids have their fun!" We went around the block and drove by again to see what was happening. I then saw a sight I'll never forget: 2 Lynn Police officers, in the middle of the street with the kids, lighting off the fireworks WITH them, and eveyone laughing and having a good time! That sight warmed my heart!

Maryland had a ban for a long, long time, but they lifted it. MA seems like one of the few shitholes left that prohibits fun.

The "ban" in MA is irrelevant, at least around the 3rd and 4th, civil disobedience takes over. My neighborhood was filled with explosions tonight.

-Mike

I was sitting at a construction site last night in Otis - waiting for the one-lane road light to turn green. The people behind me and the cop in front of me were all entertained by the brilliant display of patriotism being launched out of a back yard party...

Otis is a lawless town. [wink]

We got some Rhode Island import goods up here for tomorrow night. We made some rocket fuel (Sodium Chlorate and sugar) tonight.

About 10 years ago, I was picking up a friend of mine that lived in West Lynn. It was July 3rd. After picking him up, we drove by a street where there were about 3 or 4 little kids in the middle of the street lighting off fireworks. A Lynn Police cruiser passed us going the other way, towards the kids. I thought to myself "aww c'mon, let the kids have their fun!" We went around the block and drove by again to see what was happening. I then saw a sight I'll never forget: 2 Lynn Police officers, in the middle of the street with the kids, lighting off the fireworks WITH them, and eveyone laughing and having a good time! That sight warmed my heart!

Was this street in between western aver and maple street?

My friends put on quite a show. They actually just did it again tonight like they do every yea. Normally I don't get to go since i'm on the boat for the 4th. this year they did it on the 3rd. I was talking to their father and he said last year they had cars stopping in the middle of western ave and the cops showed up just to move the traffic along but didn't say a word about the fireworks.

Listening to the scanner here in Lynn last night was pretty entertaining. Sending units to such and such a street for reports of fireworks - everyone one of the reports came back 'unfounded'!! I think the police just didn't want to deal with it. And who are the idiots that are calling? Nothing was happening late.

Listening to the scanner here in Lynn last night was pretty entertaining. Sending units to such and such a street for reports of fireworks - everyone one of the reports came back 'unfounded'!! I think the police just didn't want to deal with it. And who are the idiots that are calling? Nothing was happening late.

Its nice to see they actually let people have some fun. Most of the stuff I heard was done by 10-10:30 which isn't late given its the 4th.

I was at a huge block party last night in Pepperell. They had some serious fireworks going for about 20 minutes. 1 LEO arrived during the show - to watch.

The ban is a farce. If people want them, they'll get them be it from neighboring states or private sellers here in MA. When I was around 15, myself, my parents, and their friends used to light off a bunch of stuff at West Island in Fairhaven. The cops would show up and just watch, then leave when it was over.

The displays around the Sassaquin pond area tonight nearby will be huge. Last year it rivaled anything I've seen put on by pros.

People in MA. spend thousands of dollars every year on fireworks and that cash goes to other states. You'd think as greedy as the politicians are here that they'd want that money but screw it. After all, look how long it took us to be able to buy liquor on Sunday.[banghead]

someone in the streets behind me has been popping off fireworks all day yesterday and pretty much all day today so much for the ban lol

I have a house in Marshfield, within 50 yards of the seawall, and there are always fireworks on July 3rd. People bring bags of them down to the beach and the show goes on for a couple of hours all along the beach. The cops can't be everywhere and arrest everyone!

They did put an end to the huge bonfires, I guess now that our crappy beach houses are being taxed to the moon they don't want to lose the tax revenue if a few burnt down because of flying embers. It doesn't matter that the seawall is falling onto the beach though.

Fireworks are not legal everywhere in NH, it goes town by town.

I did my part :)

Those two officers should be leading a couple departments someplace, they are of the mold that CLEO's should be built from.

What, for taking part in illegal activity while on the clock?

The "ban" in MA is irrelevant, at least around the 3rd and 4th, civil disobedience takes over. My neighborhood was filled with explosions tonight.

The police didn't respond because it's Fitchburg, they probably thought it was just gunfire. [laugh]

The ban is a farce.

This comment made me look up the law.

MGL 148-39

Whoever shall have in his possession or under his control, or whoever shall use or explode or cause to explode any fireworks in violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than ten dollars nor more than one hundred dollars. Any officer qualified to serve criminal process shall seize all of the fireworks mentioned herein without a warrant, and the fireworks seized shall, upon conviction of such violation, be forfeited to the commonwealth.

What a joke. Talk about a law that only affects the law abiding.

This was our first Independance Day here is WV ans I was amazed at what goes here.
Walmart sells them in the store and there is a kiosk in the Mall.
I saw a tempotary fireworks sales tent set up in a church parking lot and doing BIG sales while services where held inside Sunday morning.
The big "Mountaineer Fireworks" stand at exit 5 on I81 just shooting rockets and flying bombs off on Friday night. We watched them for about an hour & a half while looking over a new truck. they were still going when we headed home. There were probably a hundred cars in their lot when we passed by.

Last edited:
I once heard of a ranking Police Officer telling his men that "All confiscated fireworks will be safety inspected at the end of shift...in the trunk of my car."

Again, on the scanner last night, they had a group of people lighting off tons of stuff in the middle of the road, the police said they told them to move it to the parking lot across the street and that they would only be out there 'about another hour'.!

Was around Templeton last night camping. I have a feeling 0 $10-$100 fines were issued for the 40 or so people I could hear blasting away

Back
Top Bottom