Massachusetts Firearm Storage Initiative

Attached is a Massachusetts Initiative Petition that sponsors are trying to get sufficient signatures for to put on the November 2019 ballot.

The text includes the following:

"That within Massachusetts, all gun owners, both residents and visitors, will be held equally responsible for any and all actions and crimes committed by any person(s) using unsecured weapons obtained from any residences, businesses, or vehicles regardless of owner consent or nonconsent."

See the attached file for the Initiative Petition

Attachments

• 19-02.pdf
    556.8 KB · Views: 115
Is it just me or is that written so that all gun owners, both Mass residents and those temporarily in the state, will all be held responsible for any crime, etc.?

How is that even possible? Joint liability for an entire, undefined group of people? Talk about crappy drafting.

They are attempting to make all firearm owners store their weapons in a secure safe and if they don’t and the weapon is stolen and used in a crime then the owner of that weapon will be equally responsible for the crime or crimes committed with that weapon. That is why they titled the initiative the Massachusetts Firearm Storage Initiative.

They are attempting to make all firearm owners store their weapons in a secure safe and if they don’t and the weapon is stolen and used in a crime then the owner of that weapon will be equally responsible for the crime or crimes committed with that weapon. That is why they titled the initiative the Massachusetts Firearm Storage Initiative.

I can't imagine that will ever pass Constitutional muster.

This is pure BS. Let's assume that someone breaks into your house and takes a firearm. You'd have to report it to LE to cover your own ass to begin with. Now if said robber uses it to commit another crime, I'm on the hook for it? Why have the initial reporting mechanism in the first place? Your LTC/FID renewal is likely to be rejected anyway because you reported a missing firearm.

I should open a gun storage only business in NH. Keyed entrance only, 24/7/365 access to members only, full fire rated safes that can be rented individually, etc.

This is pure BS. Let's assume that someone breaks into your house and takes a firearm. You'd have to report it to LE to cover your own ass to begin with. Now if said robber uses it to commit another crime, I'm on the hook for it? Why have the initial reporting mechanism in the first place? Your LTC/FID renewal is likely to be rejected anyway because you reported a missing firearm.

I should open a gun storage only business in NH. Keyed entrance only, 24/7/365 access to members only, full fire rated safes that can be rented individually, etc.

Sounds like a good business plan!

I can't imagine that will ever pass Constitutional muster.

Agreed, but this is MA after all. I can only hope that Comm2A and GOAL are getting their resources in order so they can hit this head on if it gets on the ballot and/or voted in.

Lol the person that wrote that hunk of shit can't even spell...

"Responcible?" [rofl]

Also apparently the birdbrain doesn't know that MA ALREADY has safe storage bullshit laws (with FELONY grade CRIMINAL penalties for noncompliance!) as well as fun stuff like suitability, where a police chief can go "yah you followed the law but I'm not impressed by your securing of a gun with a chinese padlock, no moar LTC for you bai".

-Mike

Agreed, but this is MA after all. I can only hope that Comm2A and GOAL are getting their resources in order so they can hit this head on if it gets on the ballot and/or voted in.

I'd be surprised if Maura signed off on this ballot initiative on legal grounds.

My head already hurts....
mine also...lets go a step further...if your child, sibling, parent or spouse commits a firearm killing, throw the whole immediate family in prison for 3-5 years for failing to report the crazy behavior they've sure to have witnessed of the nut job before hand. no more of this "he was making hit lists on facebook for the last 3 months." god bless the fear of government the north koreans have. [bow] [pot]

Based on what OP posted, it looks to say "If someone steals an unsecured gun from you, and gets charged with murder, you are going to get charged with murder too"
That's about all I can get out of this.
Either this is entirely stupid, or I'm out of brain energy......or both.

Based on what OP posted, it looks to say "If someone steals an unsecured gun from you, and gets charged with murder, you are going to get charged with murder too"
That's about all I can get out of this.
Either this is entirely stupid, or I'm out of brain energy......or both.

the author just wants us to be "responcible" .

Back
Top Bottom