Massachusetts Drug Dealer arrested with Springfield Police's gun

Agnotology

NES Member
Searched for the perp's name, found nothing. Sorry if Dupe.

Ismael Garcia of Springfield arrested at West Springfield motel; police find heroin, stolen firearm

Ismael Garcia of Springfield arrested at West Springfield motel; police find heroin, stolen firearm
Posted Oct 11, 2019
WEST SPRINGFIELD - Police arrested a 26-year-old Springfield man at a Riverdale Street motel Thursday night, seizing 500 packets of heroin and a stolen Springfield police handgun, officials said.

The joint operation by Springfield Narcotics detectives and West Springfield detectives led to the arrest of Ismael Garcia of Cedar Street, Springfield, said police spokesman Ryan Walsh.

Springfield narcotics detectives developed information that Garcia, a known subject, was had two unlawful firearms in his possession and that he was staying at a West Springfield motel, Walsh said.

Springfield police contacted West Springfield police and detectives and officers with the two departments coordinated plans to taken Garcia into custody, Walsh said.

The operation was led by Springfield police Capt. Brian Keenan and West Springfield police Sgt. Scott Manser.

Police had Garcia’s motel room under surveillance, and once he stepped outside, officers moved in to take him into custody at around 8:45 p.m. He had two firearms inside a fanny pack around his waist, Walsh said.

Detectives also found 500 packets of heroin and 60 rounds of ammunition inside the motel room.

One of the handguns was a Springfield police-issued handgun that had been inside a gun safe that had been stolen during a 2018 burglary of an officer’s home, Walsh said.

A photo of the weapon provided by police shows it stamped “Springfield Police Department".

Garcia is charged with two counts of possession of a firearm without a license and possession of a large-capacity firearm, possession of ammunition without a firearms identification card, receiving stolen property, possession of heroin with intent to distribute, and carrying a loaded, large-capacity firearm on a public way.

A large-capacity firearm is defined under Massachusetts General Law as any semiautomatic weapon fitted with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

He is scheduled to be arraigned Friday in Springfield District Court.

Garcia was previously arrested on drug trafficking charges by state police in June when a traffic stop on I-91 North led to the discovery of 63 grams of cocaine in the car.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if it was really in a safe. Stored properly.

Tactical fanny pack.

820.jpeg

Did he say “call me ismael”?

Is there really a charge for "and carrying a loaded, large-capacity firearm on a public way"? Sounds like something they tack on to a hunting violation or something.

"One of the handguns was a Springfield police-issued handgun that had been inside a gun safe that had been stolen during a 2018 burglary of an officer’s home, Walsh said."

I'm sure this is the case.....[hmmm]

"One of the handguns was a Springfield police-issued handgun that had been inside a gun safe that had been stolen during a 2018 burglary of an officer’s home, Walsh said."

Some departments, like Dracut, issue a key-locked strong box to their officers to store their duty weapon at home. Anyone can purchase these steel boxes at Lowes or Home Depot. They satisfy MA storage requirements, but they are not true gun safes by any means.

Some departments, like Dracut, issue a key-locked strong box to their officers to store their duty weapon at home. Anyone can purchase these steel boxes at Lowes or Home Depot. They satisfy MA storage requirements, but they are not true gun safes by any means.

I guess its tough for me to imagine. I keep my defensive firearm in a small combo safe that I can easily access. But it will toke anyone else a bit if time to find it. My other guns are in a safe somewhere else in the house. My house is alarmed. The room where my safe is has an alarm sensor so I know if that zone is breached.

If you get in my house theoretically you won't have a lot of time for browsing before the police arrive. You might get out with a TV or a knick-knack but you will most certainly not have enough time to breach a safe if you should happen onto it.

Is there really a charge for "and carrying a loaded, large-capacity firearm on a public way"? Sounds like something they tack on to a hunting violation or something.
I've never heard of or seen a law such as this. I'm as curious as you are. Perhaps one of our real attorneys here can enlighten us?

So did the officer lose his LTC ?
Surely you jest!

Wait. If he was arrested at the motel, how was he carrying it on a public way?
Details, details. Don't bother us with details. [laugh]

Don't worry, he'll be out before you know it. Literally.
Sadly so very true.

I guess its tough for me to imagine. I keep my defensive firearm in a small combo safe that I can easily access. But it will toke anyone else a bit if time to find it. My other guns are in a safe somewhere else in the house. My house is alarmed. The room where my safe is has an alarm sensor so I know if that zone is breached.

If you get in my house theoretically you won't have a lot of time for browsing before the police arrive. You might get out with a TV or a knick-knack but you will most certainly not have enough time to breach a safe if you should happen onto it.
A layered system. Good for you. It's the best way to secure your guns.

A layered system. Good for you. It's the best way to secure your guns.

Well, that's the theory anyway...lol

Look, even with an alarm system they know they have a few minutes. so they grab what they can and go.

The way I see it, is they now have a reason the rush and get out. That means no time to shop around. Even if they found the safe they can't move it and they can't open it before the police arrive....hopefully.

Even if the cop had his gun stolen in a break in, you think he would have taken better care to put it somewhere more difficult for anyone just browsing to find.

And I agree with other posters on here about those small Home Depot and Staples safes. I've seen video of just dropping them from above your head and they break open very easily.
That will keep kids away but not someone determined to get in...

Probably Massprudent to always own a stupid lockbox
at least as a throwdown safe even if one refuses to use it.

Because the mind reels at how hairy it gets to
explain how a handgun had been stolen while properly secured
if one only owns a big safe.

03071be2210c59c1e6bec9faa0467101.jpg

I've never heard of or seen a law such as this.
Sure you have (see below).

I'm as curious as you are. Perhaps one of our real attorneys here can enlighten us?
It's a bogus name for the law,
so even a sea lawyer can suffice to explain it:

MGL Ch. 269 §12D: Rifle or shotgun loaded with shells or cartridges; unloaded rifle or shotgun; carrying on public way prohibited; ...
Section 12D. (a) ..., no person shall carry on his person on any public way a loaded rifle or shotgun ...

Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000 or by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than two years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and may be arrested without a warrant; provided, however, that if such rifle or shotgun is a large capacity weapon, as defined in section 121 of chapter 140, such person shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and may be arrested without a warrant.​

Sure you have (see below).

It's a bogus name for the law,
so even a sea lawyer can suffice to explain it:

MGL Ch. 269 §12D: Rifle or shotgun loaded with shells or cartridges; unloaded rifle or shotgun; carrying on public way prohibited; ...
Section 12D. (a) ..., no person shall carry on his person on any public way a loaded rifle or shotgun ...

Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000 or by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than two years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and may be arrested without a warrant; provided, however, that if such rifle or shotgun is a large capacity weapon, as defined in section 121 of chapter 140, such person shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and may be arrested without a warrant.​
Umm, you are missing something here. S. 12D is only about long guns, not handguns.

The recent reports of charges against career criminals carrying a handgun has mentioned charges that would only be appropriate for long guns. And in your house, private property or even on an apartment building curtilage sure doesn't sound like "public way" to me. Of course, I've seen non-criminal charges thrown at someone as a criminal charge so a DA could easily try to bamboozle a public defender, jury and/or judge.

Umm, you are missing something here. S. 12D is only about long guns, not handguns.
Oops, absolutely.

The recent reports of charges against career criminals carrying a handgun has mentioned charges that would only be appropriate for long guns. And in your house, private property or even on an apartment building curtilage sure doesn't sound like "public way" to me. Of course, I've seen non-criminal charges thrown at someone as a criminal charge so a DA could easily try to bamboozle a public defender, jury and/or judge.
Yep.

Of course it was in the safe!!!!

View attachment 307479

And unicorns are real too !
Seriously, if you think he had it locked in a a safe, you are delirious

When they say ‘safe’, they mean ‘container they locks’. These things can be just picked up and carried out. They also can be easily opened, some literally just by whacking them and they pop open.

168D1B3E-3178-41B0-901E-2A502C883F52.jpeg

When they say ‘safe’, they mean ‘container they locks’. These things can be just picked up and carried out. They also can be easily opened, some literally just by whacking them and they pop open.

View attachment 307664

I have something similar. I bolted it to the piece of furniture. It ain't being carried out that easily.

good lesson if the gun was really stolen in a break in. Bolt down your safe.

I have something similar. I bolted it to the piece of furniture. It ain't being carried out that easily.

If its a GV, depending on model it can be busted open with a screwdriver and some of them will open with a bic pen....

-Mike

If its a GV, depending on model it can be busted open with a screwdriver and some of them will open with a bic pen....

-Mike

The ex police chief "they"'ve been chasing - he was in the news a few months ago following a search of his home and they supposedly found some unsecured and/or poorly secured guns. IIRC they found a handgun in a quote flimsy unquote lock box.

I'm terrible with names - that's why I call you Doc and not by your name 'Joe'. Can't remember the ex-chief's name. Anyway, is a "flimsy" lockbox compliant or not?

-Mike

It's a Sentry. I'm sure if I was motivated I could open it with at least a screwdriver. The thing is....if someone comes in they have to find it first.

Plus if I go away for a weekend or on vacation, everything in that little safe gets either gets locked in the big safe or it comes with me depending on where I am going.

It's all a plan or a strategy that if anyone comes in uninvited when I am not home that they can only get the quick stuff because they shouldn't have a lot of time to doddle.

While I have bolted down my cheap safe (larger than what was pictured, but probably the same construction), I'm under no illusion that it would actually provide any actual layer of theft protection from a determined thief. The only reason I use it is to point at the busted remains in front of police to say "see, it was locked", should someone actually steal my guns. Call it insurance for MA's ridiculous compliance rules that have me more scared of the police and legislators than potential criminals who would steal and/or try to hurt me and my family.

Now...if I lived in a house and not a condo, where I could buy a legit safe that weighs like 1,500 lbs with top end locks/bolts/hinges...things would be different. Until then, my "safe" is just there for show.

It's a Sentry. I'm sure if I was motivated I could open it with at least a screwdriver. The thing is....if someone comes in they have to find it first.

Plus if I go away for a weekend or on vacation, everything in that little safe gets either gets locked in the big safe or it comes with me depending on where I am going.

It's all a plan or a strategy that if anyone comes in uninvited when I am not home that they can only get the quick stuff because they shouldn't have a lot of time to doddle.

I just don't even look at stuff like that as a security device, but more like a compliance device, or at best, something to keep a toddler away from a handgun.

-Mike

I just don't even look at stuff like that as a security device, but more like a compliance device, or at best, something to keep a toddler away from a handgun.

-Mike
truthfully, that's all it really is. It saves me from putting my carry piece in the big safe all the time. This is a 3 to 4 button combo that opens real fast. The big safe I need a key, then I have to do the dial and finally open the door. Not quick and easy to get to in the house so this is more a compliance and convenience....and the biggest security feature is that it is hidden. It is certainly not the construction...lol. But it is cool to have.

Back
Top Bottom