Massachusetts Democrat introduces bill to "screen all patients for the presence of firearms in the home"

At one dr. visit I was given a form to fill out that asked about "ethnicity" and other stuff. I just tossed it in the bucket. The gal said that she was required to give it to me. I said fine, you did it. End of story. What about "Boundary Violation"? Is that still around?

2018 California Safety and Wellbeing Survey finds "Forty percent of gun owners in the study sample reported that gun safety conversations were never appropriate in general, compared with less than 20% of those who did not own guns."

With "An estimated 4.2 million California adults own guns, 14 percent of the population", I find it astounding that 3-fold that number indicated that "gun safety conversations" were in the F'-off category. Presumably they biased their survey as much as possible and still got 40% in California. My SWAG would be that Massachusetts would give it ~50% F'-off rating - maybe more!

Maybe those polls should ask if the Government can drop by and check up on YOUR guns? Show me that 80%+ support of new and more restrictive gun laws now... It's NIMBY for guns - NIMGS (Not in My Gun Safe).

My comment to JAMA Pediatrics Home Gun Safety Queries in Well-Child Visits published today.

Abstract: Firearms are a leading cause of death in US children, and the rate of suicide by firearms in people aged 10 to 19 years has increased since 2008.1 In the United States, 4.6 million children (approximately 7%) live in households with at least 1 gun that is stored loaded and unlocked.

My comment:

Gun and Bibles - Targeting Tailored Solutions
[myname] | Crime Prevention Research Center

CDC reports unintentional non-fatal injuries by firearms 2010-2017 has dropped off the Top 20 list of causes for 0-19 year olds in the US (WISQUARS) This good news is not paralleled for 1-19 year olds in the rates of fatal injury/deaths for by firearms, where suicide (18,570) ranks 2nd behind unintentional causes (55,203) followed by homicide (18,352).

A recent study suggests that "...gun homicide and gun suicide are behaviors, and behaviors are functions of culture", finding that regions with high suicide rates more often do not overlap regions with high homicide rates.

To that end, effective solution should address regional and cultural considerations, which are less amenable to national regulation than state and local regulation. Homicide has sociodemographic attributes that are quite different than suicide. Hence, addressing those ~18,000 homicides and suicides may have very different approaches.

In some regions, questions on guns by health care practitioners are considered highly invasive and may discourage well-child visits, much as stigmatizing mental illness appears to discourage many from seeking needed help. The question "Do you have guns in your home" can be startling and offensive to some, if not presented among questions on other hazards (seat-belt use, household chemical/drug storage, fall protection, pool safety, etc.

To health care practitioners, tobacco-use, drug-use, alcohol-use, sexual practices and other behaviors are items on a checklist, but to patients, especially those that display risky behaviors, such questions can discourage seeking medical care. While self-assessed health appears to be correlated to religiosity, most health care practitioners would hesitate to cross into that territory. In areas of the US where inhabitants value their bibles and guns, the message needs to be tailored for acceptance. "Gun Safety" is a very one-sided perspective in medicine, with the safe use of guns outside the scope of practice. With 40%+ of homes having guns, and 25% of the US population being children living in 50 million+ households, the exposure to guns is enormous - most seem to be doing it right. The challenge is not to dilute efforts directed toward those that do it wrong by broad-brush policies, laws and guidelines.

When, like next Thursday?
Be kind to our brethren who even now fight for freedom behind THE WALL. Remember we too were once enslaved.

The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall
John has a long mustache, john has a long mustache.

I've never been asked if I have firearms in my house but I have been asked if I feel "safe". If I am asked, I will simply remind the Dr that the medical field has 10X (at minimum) the deaths by medical malpractice, incorrect diagnosis, etc etc then gun deaths. They need to take the log out their eyes before they seek to take a speck of sawdust out of mine.

why do they need a bill? Doctors are already doing this. More useless laws brought to you by there democrats.....a government sanctioned terrorist organization.

"Guns? Not me, doc! I hate guns! They kill people and they're bad, bad, bad!"

Would it be more convincing if I weep a little while I'm emphatically stating this?

If it’s written down , it’s no longer your secret. Electronic files can be hacked witch allows everybody to know your business. There are no more secrets. A smart man/woman says nothing. Period

Back
Top Bottom