• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts deer season coming to an end.

The only caveat with the Texas course is that it covers the laws of Texas not Massachusetts. It also isn’t free but it isn’t expensive. I think that there are a couple of other states that are now doing all online hunter Ed due to COVID.

You are better off taking the Massachusetts course because it covers Massachusetts laws. It is also free.

If you have an interest in archery hunting in other states you will also likely need a separate archery course. In Massachusetts we have a sporting license for both gun and archery hunting so you just need the hunter safety course. Many states have separate gun and archery hunting licenses so you need the separate archery hunter education course to get their archery only license. Connecticut is this way.

Bob

The only caveat with the Texas course is that it covers the laws of Texas not Massachusetts. It also isn’t free but it isn’t expensive. I think that there are a couple of other states that are now doing all online hunter Ed due to COVID.

You are better off taking the Massachusetts course because it covers Massachusetts laws. It is also free.

If you have an interest in archery hunting in other states you will also likely need a separate archery course. In Massachusetts we have a sporting license for both gun and archery hunting so you just need the hunter safety course. Many states have separate gun and archery hunting licenses so you need the separate archery hunter education course to get their archery only license. Connecticut is this way.

Bob
I agree that the mass course would be better for a mass resident due to covering the mass regs. So for a noob hubting solo this is good advice. However my brother has me and a friend as mentors to hunt with.....to ask questions about the regs......and to hunt with him to keep him out of trouble. So the tx online was a good course of action considering mass had a wait list a mile long.

Bob
Not that I'm aware of. When the online course is complete the system let's you print a hunter Ed course completion certificate
there is
Not that I'm aware of. When the online course is complete the system let's you print a hunter Ed course completion certificate
There is definitely a field day component that is required in MA regardless of where you took the theory portion.

MA accepts a hunter safety course from any state regardless of the state’s requirements. If TX doesn’t require a field day and gives you a certificate, that’s good enough for MA. But yes MA requires the field day, it’s a good course and being an instructor is a good way to give back

There is definitely a field day component that is required in MA regardless of where you took the theory portion.
Can you cite the Mass regulation or law that requires you to take a field day in mass if the state you took your hunter Ed in doesn't require it for the certificate. I've never heard this requirement. My research has told me ANY hunter Ed cert taken in any of the 50 states qualifies you for a hunting license in any other state. I have never read anything in mass regs that says "if the state you took your hunter Ed in doesn't require a field day you need to take a field day in mass before you buy a mass license" or anything of that nature. If you can show me where mass requires that I'd appreciate it......im not asking to be an a**h***......I'm asking because it would change things for ALOT of mass hunters that have taken hunter Ed in other states.... including my brother.

Last edited:

Can you cite the Mass regulation or law that requires you to take a field day in mass if the state you took your hunter Ed in doesn't require it for the certificate. I've never heard this requirement. My research has told me ANY hunter Ed cert taken in any of the 50 states qualifies you for a hunting license in any other state. I have never read anything in mass regs that says "if the state you took your hunter Ed in doesn't require a field day you need to take a field day in mass before you buy a mass license" or anything of that nature. If you can show me where mass requires that I'd appreciate it......im not asking to be an a**h***......I'm asking because it would change things for ALOT of mass hunters that have taken hunter Ed in other states.... including my brother.
I took the TX course online. I now hunt in MA. I've never done a field day. 100% legal.

Would it have been better to take the MA course, gain guidance from folks that know the area, and learn about our laws? Sure. But the MA program is limited availability. The online one is available at 2am from my bedroom.

This made self-study the best choice for me and many others like me.

TL;DR: The field day is only a requirement if you take a class where it's required. TX, for example, has no such requirement

I took the TX course online. I now hunt in MA. I've never done a field day. 100% legal.

Would it have been better to take the MA course, gain guidance from folks that know the area, and learn about our laws? Sure. But the MA program is limited availability. The online one is available at 2am from my bedroom.

This made self-study the best choice for me and many others like me.

TL;DR: The field day is only a requirement if you take a class where it's required. TX, for example, has no such requirement
My brother took tx because all the mass classes were full. In fact I took my hunter Ed in nh many years ago because all the mass classes were booked and just bought my mass hunting license once I cometed thr nh class.

Wish there had been an online option back then for me I would have done it that way.

Its almost impossible to find a class in ma that has room. Plus he works a ton of hours and is a crane operator for a very large tree service company. Jobs run late very often and you can't just jump put ofbthe cab and leave because you have class that night. I'm a fan of the online offerings. It allows folks with inflexible schedules to get into hunting.

I've debated this topic with a few folks that teach these courses in MA and NH.....some are not fans of online hunter Ed for some reason. One stated that the online ones just are not "the same" as in person. Whatever that means. Imo a growing number of people are educating themselves online.....hunter Ed should be no different.

Last edited:
My brother took tx because all the mass classes were full. In fact I took my hunter Ed in nh many years ago because all the mass classes were booked and just bought my mass hunting license once I cometed thr nh class.

Wish there had been an online option back then for me I would have done it that way.

Its almost impossible to find a class in ma that has room. Plus he works a ton of hours and is a crane operator for a very large tree service company. Jobs run late very often and you can't just jump put ofbthe cab and leave because you have class that night. I'm a fan of the online offerings. It allows folks with inflexible schedules to get into hunting.

I've debated this topic with a few folks that teach these courses in MA and NH.....some are not fans of online hunter Ed for some reason. One stated that the online ones just are not "the same" as in person. Whatever that means. Imo a growing number of people are educating themselves online.....hunter Ed should be no different.
Different students learn differently. For some, it's true that in person is better. Of course, any class at all is better than nothing.

We can't keep complaining about decreasing participation while gatekeeping by demanding in-person classes. Every class is full with people on waiting lists, this means there aren't enough classes. I'd wager that's because we don't have enough instructors giving away their weekends to help others get started.

I hear tell there are plans to improve, but the effects of that are going to be seen in several years, not today.

Different students learn differently. For some, it's true that in person is better. Of course, any class at all is better than nothing.

We can't keep complaining about decreasing participation while gatekeeping by demanding in-person classes. Every class is full with people on waiting lists, this means there aren't enough classes. I'd wager that's because we don't have enough instructors giving away their weekends to help others get started.

I hear tell there are plans to improve, but the effects of that are going to be seen in several years, not today.
They are super limited in class offerings this year but they do have a policy they won’t turn anyone away. So even if the class is full, show up and you won’t be turned away

I don’t know that it’s required, I was asking. The MA course includes a field day. It doesn’t mention anywhere that it’s optional. A comparable course from TX should presumably include a field day also.

I don’t know that it’s required, I was asking. The MA course includes a field day. It doesn’t mention anywhere that it’s optional. A comparable course from TX should presumably include a field day also.
It doesn't matter what mass requires for a hunter Ed course..... Period. Mass can "require" a field day for the certificate all they want but that is what mass requires for their states cert of completion. It does not change the fact that any hunter Ed course certificate from any of the 50 states can be used to purchase a hunting license ANYWHERE in the usa. If tx doesn't require a field day to pass the class and get a cert......mass can't say shit about it and mass has to give you a hunting license as long as you have a cert of completion and it doesn't matter what state you got the certificate from.....end of story.

Cut and paste from mass f and g website on hunter Ed requirement to purchase a hunting license in mass. In fact hunter Ed from Mexico or Canada counts as well.

Are you a graduate of a Basic Hunter Education course in any US state, Canada, or Mexico?​

If the answer is YES, you qualify for a Massachusetts hunting license. *Proof or certificate is not required (see below). To purchase your hunting or sporting license, use the MassFishHunt online licensing system, visit a license vendor location, or visit any Division of Fisheries and Wildlife district offices.

Did you have a hunting license in any US state, Canada, or Mexico prior to 2007?​

If the answer is YES, you qualify for a Massachusetts hunting license. *Proof or copy of license is not required (see below). To purchase your hunting or sporting license, use the MassFishHunt online licensing system, visit a license vendor location, or visit any Division of Fisheries and Wildlife district offices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom