Massachusetts Coyote Hunting

peterk123

NES Member
Reading through the regs there is language about not leaving an unused animal behind in the woods. If I shoot a coyote and skin it, leaving everything else behind, am I good? I would think so, but curious how you guys interpret the following, which like everything these folks write, is just awful:

1607897080957.png

Ever try it?

You just have to make an effort to use some part of it. If it's unusable for example it's rubbed bad or mangey you can leave it as it lies. Just be careful not to get an illegal dumping charge. If you're on public I consider leaving the carcass as baiting coyote which is legal.

Another coyote related question for you guys. The two times yotes came to me during bow season, I had doe estrus out and I was grunting. I'm wondering if that worked to pull them in. Also, two different areas I bow hunted had large turkey populations. These same areas had a lot of coyote sign. Would using a turkey call, coupled with deer scent and grunts, be a good way to draw them in?

Given the no ice situation, I think I am coyote hunting in January.

Another coyote related question for you guys. The two times yotes came to me during bow season, I had doe estrus out and I was grunting. I'm wondering if that worked to pull them in. Also, two different areas I bow hunted had large turkey populations. These same areas had a lot of coyote sign. Would using a turkey call, coupled with deer scent and grunts, be a good way to draw them in?

Given the no ice situation, I think I am coyote hunting in January.

No, get a predator call. The grunting and deer scent won't do anything to attract them and the turkey call is low odds. They're searching for an easy meal or a mate so prey in distress and coyote vocalizations are the way to go and no scent needed. Unless you're over bait you should be moving and doing multiple sets

Back
Top Bottom