• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts-Compliant Semi-Auto Rifle In 223 or 7.62x39

I am interested in a light-weight and reliable semi-automatic rifle chambered in 223 or 7.62x39.
Before my ideal option is an AR-15 clone in 223. But those were banned by Massachusetts after 2016.
I can stay within the magazine capacity of 10 rounds, so some modified AR-15 clones with fixed 10 rounds magazine can be an option.
A popular choice is SKS. But at 8.5 pound and more, it is on the heavy side to me, and on the long side too.
Any new semi-auto rifles released that are Massachusetts-compliant?

You can find new MA AWB compliant rifles, you just have to find someone to sell you something. Most or all FFLs will no longer transfer ARs. You can buy a pre-94 AR, or anything anyone will sell you.

See here for examples: .223/.556mm Mass Firearms Store

The other thing to keep in mind is the "HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES" are a separate issue from the rifle itself. Therefore, pre-1994 30-round STANAG magazines are readily available on the private market. I recommend finding a rifle that uses these, like the SCAR (not sure what else does tbh, the Bren 805 is a SCAR copy more or less, it might use STANAG mags).

In relation to the above, the Bren 805 does use STANAG or you can buy a polymer lower cheap from CZ to accept European magazines ala G36 style. I have used P-Mags, GI aluminum, FNC steel-body magazines (current go to especially at price point out of state for prebans that are still light).
I will say that so far I like my Bren more than the Scar (not bad mouthing it either though) but the bren is also a little heavier (well balanced though) so if weight constraints are a must then it is probably not for you. If you really want something that has AR-15 controls then the Scar is more your camp since the bren is a little different.

But yeah given the prices if you are looking more budget and weight: Ruger Mini-14 all the way since you can never go wrong. Otherwise I'd say a Bren or Scar if budget isn't an issue. Not my cup of tea but there are also accepted bullpups such as the Tavor and Desert Tech has some really nice stuff coming out that I got a chance to play around with.

You can still find the Sig 556 rifle, they made a gas piston model which does not share parts with an Ar15 (different gas system, bolt, operating mechanism). I don't know if Sig makes them anymore but they used to show up used at various shops and on gunbroker. I think they were a better design than the Ar15 (never liked direct impingement), but a little heavier.

I'm a fan of the Tavor. If you want a new rifle the Bren looks like a good option too, I just haven't handled one. You can also get an AR if you don't mind lightly used.

Just get a Tavor.

While I think they are acceptable (still not my cup of tea) for the price there are a lot of other options for how many people don't like bullpups for their flaws. If you went this route I'd see if Mass Firearm Shop has one you can try before you buy.
Edit: Or if you have a friend that has one naturally.

While I think they are acceptable (still not my cup of tea) for the price there are a lot of other options for how many people don't like bullpups for their flaws. If you went this route I'd see if Mass Firearm Shop has one you can try before you buy.
Edit: Or if you have a friend that has one naturally.

Yeah, I backed off my initial post on the subject. I like them, but some don't.

Does the fixed magazine AR reload by breaking open the bolt and carrier group, and inserting cartridges one by one into the fixed magazine?
If true, that is too far from my idea of AR-15, and from the idea of semi-automatic.
SKS's strip-loading is cumbersome already, though tolerable to any real-world use of semi-automatic rifles. Probably a SKS and Mini are the best option here.

Does the fixed magazine AR reload by breaking open the bolt and carrier group, and inserting cartridges one by one into the fixed magazine?
If true, that is too far from my idea of AR-15, and from the idea of semi-automatic.
SKS's strip-loading is cumbersome already, though tolerable to any real-world use of semi-automatic rifles. Probably a SKS and Mini are the best option here.

There are reloading devices that reload through the ejection port.

And maybe this would work, best to ask EC.
upload_2018-3-9_16-17-40.png

Back
Top Bottom