• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts castle doctrine

Hey NES'ers

I've looked on google for a good 45 min and haven't been able to see DEFINITIVELY if MA is a castle doctrine state. I've seen conflicting info saying it was but it's not a stand your ground state. I've also seen that the castle law was removed, so my question is this; currently, what is the status of MA in relation to having a castle doctrine in place.

I've also tried using the forum search function which has not been successful to this point.

Thanks in advance![wink]

It's an "affirmative defense" (in most cases you get charged and your attorney has to raise it as an affirmative defense, convincing a judge/jury that you shouldn't be convicted), not a "castle doctrine" in MA. And it only applies within the living space of your house/apartment, not outside or any public area. I go into great detail about it in my MA gun laws seminar and NRA Personal Protection in the Home class, as I had the privilege of talking to the arresting officer in the case that led to this becoming law.

Back
Top Bottom