• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts - Bill introduced to legalize silencers

There is nothing "illegal" about them. It's just that sons of bitches in Mass don't want you to have them. So if I have them (07/SOT) and my NH sons have them, they are "legal", right? Geographic discrimination. I'll bet that if a bunch of BLM folks got together and bitched that "Blacks in Mass were discriminated against for not being allowed to have them (true, right?) things might change. Jack.

Why would you need a legal suppressor if you can't have a gun in the prm?

Only semi-related, but something that I thought of reading your post.

How would suppressors work in the PRM given the stupid threaded barrel being a feature? Sure, there are quick mounts, but are those considered "threaded"? My opinion is "no", but mine isn't the one that counts. Most likely a needless inquiry considering the likelihood of this passing, but still.

The State house is empty. Who is voting on these bills?

I guess they just mail them in.

The trick is to slip this into an occupational safety bill as a hearing protection device, which it is, or a conservation bill for reducing nuisance noise created by hunters, which they do in addition to hearing protection/better situational awareness for safety.

The trick is to slip this into an occupational safety bill as a hearing protection device, which it is, or a conservation bill for reducing nuisance noise created by hunters, which they do in addition to hearing protection/better situational awareness for safety.

Yeah, but then you have to have one. I could see this going bad real quick.

Only semi-related, but something that I thought of reading your post.

How would suppressors work in the PRM given the stupid threaded barrel being a feature? Sure, there are quick mounts, but are those considered "threaded"? My opinion is "no", but mine isn't the one that counts. Most likely a needless inquiry considering the likelihood of this passing, but still.
it'll depend on the firearm.

suddenly, Mini-14s will be all the rage again. or, brakes with mounting features, like you said.

If this passes, it will be legal to:

- open carry
- own a silencer

= open carry with a silencer. ✊💦

View attachment 506477

If this ever passes, I will get the 'Merica speedo and buy a Shield + a silencer at the mill while wearing it.

Did you know that companies make .40sw silencers? And factory threaded .40sw pistols.

I don't believe any department or branch issues either of those things. Somewhere out there, someone is spending a $200 premium on a $500 fotay, and a $200 tax stamp with accompanying wait, to buy a $900 can (actually $700 because they're always on some kind of clearance) that's just a touch too big to be as effective on a 9x19 as a real 9mm can is, but too small for .45acp all together. All so they can spend twice as much on ammo for roughly the same terminal performance, and a slightly lower capacity.

I can only assume these people owned a pet rock, and still have Beanie Babies.

The law is retarded. Cars and motorcycles require mufflers because without them, the explosions from combustion engines are far too loud. But even with them on, you can clearly still hear them from distance. It would be no different with suppressors save for maybe subsonic bolt action. Secondly, where is the concern coming from? How many instances have there been with crime/shootings happening with suppressors in other states that allow them? Third, the typical gang style shootings that are most common are not going to involve suppressors out of the sheer cost, paperwork hassle, and the fact that most of those shooters are illegally acquiring guns in the first place. There is no reason to disallow them in MA. If anything, they could even improve neighbor relations at gun ranges. But I suppose I'm preaching to the choir here.

Or trilugs on AR's.

That's tough to do, based on how they seal - those are really meant for pistol catridges. I found with .300 Blackout they tend to blow off due to pressure, or fit loosely without pressure (as intended) and then bonk back and forth under pressure rather than true up (not the case with lower pressure pistol cartridges) and cause baffle strikes. Might not be bad for something like .350 legend though.

Best bet in MA would be the designs which slip over a standard A2 style (or simply A2-length/width) muzzle device, pinned or not.

1627487178375.png

1627487197201.png

1627487291569.png

Last edited:
That's tough to do, based on how they seal - those are really meant for pistol catridges. I found with .300 Blackout they tend to blow off due to pressure, or fit loosely without pressure (as intended) and then bonk back and forth under pressure rather than true up (not the case with lower pressure pistol cartridges) and cause baffle strikes. Might not be bad for something like .350 legend though.

Best bet in MA would be the designs which slip over a standard A2 style (or simply A2-length/width) muzzle device, pinned or not.

View attachment 506637

View attachment 506638

View attachment 506639
That makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. Good point.

Suppressors can be fun toys to play with. Little Jack enjoys shooting the suppressed Ruger .22 pistol in the back yard range. He and sister Sadie each want to be the first one to take a deer with the suppressed AR in 6.8 SPC. Family and friends get a smile on when shooting the suppressed shotgun. In Mass, they just don't want you to have fun. Jack.

The law is retarded. Cars and motorcycles require mufflers because without them, the explosions from combustion engines are far too loud. But even with them on, you can clearly still hear them from distance. It would be no different with suppressors save for maybe subsonic bolt action. Secondly, where is the concern coming from? How many instances have there been with crime/shootings happening with suppressors in other states that allow them? Third, the typical gang style shootings that are most common are not going to involve suppressors out of the sheer cost, paperwork hassle, and the fact that most of those shooters are illegally acquiring guns in the first place. There is no reason to disallow them in MA. If anything, they could even improve neighbor relations at gun ranges. But I suppose I'm preaching to the choir here.
But but but … suppressors only make very little noise so one can shoot other folks quietly or even have a gun battle in crowded places like the subway station in John Wick. After all gang bangers after fully vetted and paid their $200 NFA stamp will have an easier way of dealing with their turf enemies which will result in mass casualties due to non stop shootouts looking like action scenes from the mute films of the past. Silencers are absolutely quiet and make mischief easier and undetectable. What am I missing here?

teeheheheeeee

Did you know that companies make .40sw silencers? And factory threaded .40sw pistols.

I don't believe any department or branch issues either of those things. Somewhere out there, someone is spending a $200 premium on a $500 fotay, and a $200 tax stamp with accompanying wait, to buy a $900 can (actually $700 because they're always on some kind of clearance) that's just a touch too big to be as effective on a 9x19 as a real 9mm can is, but too small for .45acp all together. All so they can spend twice as much on ammo for roughly the same terminal performance, and a slightly lower capacity.

I can only assume these people owned a pet rock, and still have Beanie Babies.

Did you ever see the study they did on these people? It turns out their cycles DO synch up.

Back
Top Bottom