Massachusetts Archery season Extension went through

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
MASSACHUSETTS BOWHUNTERS ASSOCIATION

Archery Season has been Extended in Massachusetts
After an analysis from staff and consideration of the comments received during the public-comment period, the Fisheries and Wildlife Board voted to accept the proposed amendments to the Archery Deer regulations without any changes at its monthly meeting on May 16, 2018. After a normal review by several other state agencies, the two-week Archery Deer season extension regulation amendment was filed with the Massachusetts Secretary of State’s Office yesterday, on June 27, 2018. It will be promulgated on July 13, 2018, and will be effective immediately, so it will be in effect during the 2018 deer hunting season. ~ Ken Brown VP

321 CMR 3.02(4) Hunting and Tagging of Deer

(b) Open Season. The open season shall be in five periods as follows:

1. Beginning the lastMonday in October and ending the following Saturday, any three days of which may be selected by the Director, there shall be a special season for paraplegics exclusively, who may hunt deer by means of a shotgun not larger than ten gauge, including shotgunswith a rifled bore, bymeans of a muzzle-loading firearm, fired from the shoulder, .44 to .775 caliber, or by means of a bow and arrow. Such hunting shall be limited to those specified areas designated by the Director. During this special season, nothing shall prevent the otherwise lawful hunting of birds and mammals in accordance with established statutes and regulations.

a. In zones 1-9, beginning on the sixth Monday prior to Thanksgiving and ending on the first Saturday after Thanksgiving, all days inclusive, there shall be a special season for archers exclusively and during this period deer may be hunted only bymeans of a bow and arrow. In zones 10-14, beginning on the eighth Monday prior to Thanksgiving and ending on the first Saturday after Thanksgiving, all days inclusive, except on the tribal lands of the Wampanoag Tribe of Gay Head in the Town of Aquinnah in Dukes County, there shall be a special season for archers exclusively and during this period deer may be hunted only by means of a bow and arrow.

b. Beginning on the thirdMondayprior to the firstMondayinNovember and ending

on the last dayof the primitive firearms season as specified in 321 CMR3.02(4)(b)4., all days inclusive, and only on the tribal lands of theWampanoag Tribe of GayHead in the town of Aquinnah in Dukes County, there shall be a special season for archers. During this period, deer may be hunted only bymeans of a bow and arrow, provided that during the shotgun deer season for Zone 13 as provided for in 321 CMR 3.02(4)(b)3., and during the primitive firearms season as provided for in 321 CMR 3.02(4)(b)4., deer may also be hunted with such firearms as are specified for those seasons.

2. Beginning the first Monday after Thanksgiving and ending the second Saturday thereafter, all days inclusive except Sunday, deer may be hunted throughout Massachusetts bymeans of a shotgun not larger than ten gauge, including shotguns with a rifled bore, bymeans of a muzzle-loading firearm, fired from the shoulder, .44 to .775 caliber, or by means of a bow and arrow.

3. The primitive firearms period of the open season is intended to provide an opportunity to hunt deer in a manner similar to the way our forefathers hunted in the mid-1800's. The primary consideration is to limit the weapons to a type similar to those in common use during that period of history. Basically, thatmeans a single shot, muzzle- loading firearm with limited range and firepower. Secondarily, the hunter participating in this season should have a relative degree of solitude significantly different from the hunting pressure which is characteristic of the shotgun deer season.

Beginning the third Monday after Thanksgiving and ending on December 31st, all days inclusive, deer may be hunted only bymeans of a primitive firearm using a single lead projectile, or bymeans of a bow and arrow. Black powder (or synthetic substances such as "pyrodex" which are approved for competitive muzzle-loading meets by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association) is the only powder to be used during this season. Primitive firearms may have smooth or rifled bores and shall not contain more than one usable barrel. In the case of primitive firearms with double bore barrels, one barrel shall be made inoperative by removal of the nipple and hammer. The caliber of a primitive firearmshall be not less than .44 normore than .775 and onlythose primitive firearms having a barrel length of 18 inches or longer shall be permitted. A person shall not, except during the paraplegic, Youth Deer Hunt and shotgun deer seasons, have in his or her possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, BB shot or air rifle shot in any place where birds or mammals might be found, except on a skeet, trap or target range between sunrise and sunset, and except for the hunting of waterfowl, or coyote as provided in 321 CMR 2.03. During the primitive firearm season, nothing in 321 CMR 3.02(4) shall prevent the otherwise lawful hunting of birds and mammals in accordance with established statutes and regulations.

5. On the fourth Saturday following Labor Day, which shall be the day of the Youth Deer Hunt, minors 12 through 17 years of age who have been issued a Youth Deer Hunt Permit by the Director may hunt for deer by means of a shotgun, not larger than ten gauge, including shotgunswith a rifled bore, bymeans of amuzzle-loading firearm, fired from the shoulder, .44 to .775 caliber, or by

means of a bow and arrow. A Youth Deer Hunt Permit must be obtained by the hunter allowing for the harvest of one deer, valid only on the day of the Youth Deer Hunt, for either, an antlered deer in any Wildlife Management Zone or an antlerless deer in theWildlifeManagement Zone(s) as specified by the Director in the Permit. All minors 12 through 14 years of age taking part in the Youth Deer Hunt are not be required to possess a hunting license or sporting license, but shall possess aYouth Deer Hunt Permit, and be accompanied by a duly licensed adult as required by M.G.L. c. 131, § 14. All minors 15 through 17 years of age taking part in the Youth Deer Hunt shall possess both a Massachusetts hunting or sporting license, and a Youth Deer Hunt Permit. All minors, and the adults who accompany saidminors during the Youth Deer Hunt, shall comply with all applicable law and regulations of the Division, including the provisions of M.G.L. c. 131, §§ 14, 71, and 72 and 321 CMR 3.02(4). During the Youth Deer Hunt, it is prohibited to hunt deer in an area where baiting has occurred up to ten days prior to the Youth Deer Hunt season. Nothing in 321CMR 3.02(4) shall preclude the otherwise lawful hunting of birds and mammals in accordance with the applicable law and regulations of the Division during the Youth Deer Hunt season.

https://massbowhunters.com/news

Sent from my iPad

No, I was in agreement with you. I think that is some group pushing for more laws to be written in "plain language".

All good news...but why the hell can't they just write in plain English so us crayon-eaters can understand it?

So it's October 15th in Zones 1-9?

Lawyers gonna lawyer. All the better to trip you up.:D

The update to the abstract will be "plain English". 1-9 stay the same but 10-14 opens two weeks earlier. I hunt Connecticut so it's meh to me as I start on September 15th.

Bob

MASSACHUSETTS BOWHUNTERS ASSOCIATION

a. In zones 1-9, beginning on the sixth Monday prior to Thanksgiving and ending on the first Saturday after Thanksgiving, all days inclusive, there shall be a special season for archers exclusively and during this period deer may be hunted only bymeans of a bow and arrow. In zones 10-14, beginning on the eighth Monday prior to Thanksgiving and ending on the first Saturday after Thanksgiving, all days inclusive, except on the tribal lands of the Wampanoag Tribe of Gay Head in the Town of Aquinnah in Dukes County, there shall be a special season for archers exclusively and during this period deer may be hunted only by means of a bow and arrow.

Sent from my iPad

So does the quoted section also make Hunting on Sunday legal during archery season?

That's awesome. I don't bow hunt but anything that passes in favor of us hunters is a good thing. I would love to now see Sundays opened up for all hunting in MA but sadly I don't think that will ever happen.

To all you archery hunters congrats! This is great news! 8 weeks to fill you tags in 10-14 now!

SO......when shotgun season rolls around I don't want to hear any bitching and whining when the gun guys start the annual deer drives mkay?

Here is the English version from their email update that came out today:

MassWildlife filed a regulatory amendment that would extend the archery deer season by two weeks (opening the eighth Monday prior to Thanksgiving)in eastern Massachusetts (zones 10–14). In WMZs 1–9, the archery deer season will remain the same, opening six weeks before Thanksgiving. The amendment will increase hunting opportunities in a region where deer numbers are above management range goals. No changes were recommended for WMZs 1–9, as deer numbers in those zones are within management range goals. After considering comments from a public hearing, the Fisheries and Wildlife Board voted to accept the proposed regulatory amendment in May. Currently, the regulation change is awaiting publication in the Massachusetts Register by the Secretary of State’s Office. MassWildlife anticipates that the season extension will be approved and in effect by the end of July. Check the deer hunting regulation page for the latest update

To all you archery hunters congrats! This is great news! 8 weeks to fill you tags in 10-14 now!

SO......when shotgun season rolls around I don't want to hear any bitching and whining when the gun guys start the annual deer drives mkay?

Don't scare all the deerz away and we won't bitch, mkay... ;)

All kidding aside though I was buying tags in RI because they opened earlier and you're not prohibited on Sundays. Now the seasons will open concurrently. I'll still buy RI tags so I can hit the woods on a Sunday. They also let you hunt into the end of Jan. I just won't buy multiple RI tags now.

I think this is cool. I hope to use the extra time to make up for lost ground. Had my first empty-handed season last year. PreBanWoman suggested I turn in the man card.

Last edited:
It will also add problems as far as the heat, it’s sometimes hot already at the beginning of the season. My advice plan ahead that you might have to quickly take care of your meat !

I've hunted CT for many years killing many deer on September 15th when it's hot and muggy. Some days I didn't shoot deer in the morning because it was just too damn hot and i didn't want to end my hunt for the day right away. You have to decide if it's worth losing the meat or not, marginal shots need to be passed up, as a gut shot, or poorly hit deer in that type of heat will be no good when you find it (minimum wait 12 hours).

Some days I just brought them to the butcher.....He kept an AC going in his cut room and it was cooled off pretty good and he butchered that day.

Other days, i'd just do the following....

Small to medium does you can cut the bottom part of the legs off and head if needed, and stuff in one of those huge white coleman coolers.

Bigger deer or Antlered bucks, you need to go to the store, buy 8 bags of ice and stuff in cavity and between and under and over the hams. Make sure you get between the hams real good on big deer or splay them out in the back of the truck. That is the thickest meat area, a deer laying on it side in the back of a hot truck with both hams together without ice in between will bone sour rather quickly. Then when you get home skin and break it down into quarters (takes me about half hour per deer) and stuff it into coolers filled with ice, or butcher immediately. I always saw the pelvic bone early in the season so I can separate the hams fully and cool them out.

One of the areas I hunted had a portable trailer walk in cooler, that was perfect.
Walk ins are really the best way, because I like aging the meat. You can age quarters on racks in an old garage fridge or something, but I liked to age it skin on hanging for 5 days minimum on older deer. Younger deer need less time...but it doesn't hurt to hang them for more time.

Walk ins can be made with Plywood/Foam Insulation and an air conditioner and some parts bought online to adjust the thermostat to make it go lower than 50 degrees.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom