Massachusetts AG Healey sues Trump Administration over 3D-printed guns

mikeyp

NES Member

BOSTON – Attorney General Maura Healey Friday joined a coalition of attorneys general in suing the Trump Administration over proposed rules that would deregulate 3D-printed guns.

The complaint, filed today in the U.S. District Court in the Western District of Washington against the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Commerce, challenges new rules that would allow individuals and companies to post and transfer files online that provide blueprints on how to print guns using 3D printers.

“These new rules pose a serious threat to public safety and violate the law,” said AG Healey. “We need to stop the federal government from allowing access to online plans that will let anyone anonymously build their own downloadable, untraceable, and undetectable guns.”

According to the complaint, new rules submitted to Congress by the Administration would remove 3D-printed gun files from the U.S. Munitions List and transfer oversight over the export of 3D-printed gun files to the Commerce Department, which lacks the jurisdiction necessary to ensure that these files cannot be disseminated widely by email, electronic file transfer, hard drive transfer, or other means. The attorneys general also argue that under the rules, the Commerce Department would have discretion to grant licenses to post 3D-printed gun files to the internet or export them without Congressional oversight, effectively undermining rules regulating the export of weapons on the U.S. Munitions List.

In July 2018, AG Healey joined a multistate lawsuit against the State Department seeking to stop a settlement and a modification to the Munitions List that would allow the company Defense Distributed to post files online that allow individuals to print guns using 3D printers. The states won a preliminary injunction in August 2018 from a federal judge blocking the publication of downloadable plans for 3D-printed guns online, and obtained a summary judgment in November 2019 invalidating the State Department’s change to the Munitions List. The judge in that case ruled the State Department failed to properly notify Congress, as required by statute, failed to consider required statutory factors, and failed to explain why it had changed position on the threats posed by 3D-printed guns.

Today’s lawsuit challenges the new proposed rules on similar grounds as the previous lawsuit, arguing that the Administration failed to adequately inform the public that the new rules would deregulate 3D-printed gun files and failed to explain its abrupt change in position on these matters. Until recently, the State Department had argued that the federal government has a strong national security interest in the regulation of these types of files.

AG Healey, along with partners in state law enforcement, has issued a public safety notice detailing the serious violations of state law arising from the creation of these undetectable guns.

Friday’s coalition is led by the Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson and joined by California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, and the District of Columbia.

Et tu Maine? And North Carolina? Even you Pennsylvania & Vermont?

California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, and the District of Columbia.

I didn't realize that it was still outlawed, I'm pretty sure that there are a few groups on faceplant distributing files for plastic receivers to different guns, including ones that had plastic receivers to start with ... like Tec9

That gun was DESIGNED to have plain plastic receiver ...

ti-arrested.jpg

The title of this thread bothers me. Her Majesty is not trying to ban 3D printed anything. She is trying to ban books. As others have stated, this is purely a first amendment issue, and we should call it what it is.

I copy and paste the article title so yell at them lol

I didn't realize that it was still outlawed, I'm pretty sure that there are a few groups on faceplant distributing files for plastic receivers to different guns, including ones that had plastic receivers to start with ... like Tec9

That gun was DESIGNED to have plain plastic receiver ...

ti-arrested.jpg

They had a bad defect though. They'd go full auto on you. And the sights had a tendency to fall off.

She is so stupid..NOT![rolleyes]
She does know that gun blue prints are already in books dating back two hundred years...[rofl]

Hey media look at me! Lookey over here. It's me saving the children again!

Just think about how many illegal guns are in Boston, Lawrence, Lynn, Brockton, New Bedford and Fall River..

It's easier to get an illegal gun than it is to buy a computer, a 3d printer and then figure out how to set it all up.
That's not including being smart enough to learn how to use that new fangled software you just downloaded.
That illegal gun they want is cheaper than buying all the above. Plus the seller will probably even throw in some free bullets with the sale! [rofl2]

Never mind if she actually thinks criminals will follow the law and not download it from the dark web or from some guy in his parent's basement.[slap]

So I'll say she is smarter than that and is just saying look at what I'm doing...

Last edited:

Google “Tec 9 receiver stl”, first result will lead you to open source repository with almost 2gb of goodness with stl/step files for dozens of firearms.

Hey Maura. f*** you c***

Because its obvious we are beyond being able to beg for our rights like f***ing serfs. All of you and your ilk can play by your rules and f*** off until rules mean nothing. Then we can chat like equals

BOSTON – Attorney General Maura Healey Friday joined a coalition of attorneys general in suing the Trump Administration over proposed rules that would deregulate 3D-printed guns.

The complaint, filed today in the U.S. District Court in the Western District of Washington against the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Commerce, challenges new rules that would allow individuals and companies to post and transfer files online that provide blueprints on how to print guns using 3D printers.

“These new rules pose a serious threat to public safety and violate the law,” said AG Healey. “We need to stop the federal government from allowing access to online plans that will let anyone anonymously build their own downloadable, untraceable, and undetectable guns.”

According to the complaint, new rules submitted to Congress by the Administration would remove 3D-printed gun files from the U.S. Munitions List and transfer oversight over the export of 3D-printed gun files to the Commerce Department, which lacks the jurisdiction necessary to ensure that these files cannot be disseminated widely by email, electronic file transfer, hard drive transfer, or other means. The attorneys general also argue that under the rules, the Commerce Department would have discretion to grant licenses to post 3D-printed gun files to the internet or export them without Congressional oversight, effectively undermining rules regulating the export of weapons on the U.S. Munitions List.

In July 2018, AG Healey joined a multistate lawsuit against the State Department seeking to stop a settlement and a modification to the Munitions List that would allow the company Defense Distributed to post files online that allow individuals to print guns using 3D printers. The states won a preliminary injunction in August 2018 from a federal judge blocking the publication of downloadable plans for 3D-printed guns online, and obtained a summary judgment in November 2019 invalidating the State Department’s change to the Munitions List. The judge in that case ruled the State Department failed to properly notify Congress, as required by statute, failed to consider required statutory factors, and failed to explain why it had changed position on the threats posed by 3D-printed guns.

Today’s lawsuit challenges the new proposed rules on similar grounds as the previous lawsuit, arguing that the Administration failed to adequately inform the public that the new rules would deregulate 3D-printed gun files and failed to explain its abrupt change in position on these matters. Until recently, the State Department had argued that the federal government has a strong national security interest in the regulation of these types of files.

AG Healey, along with partners in state law enforcement, has issued a public safety notice detailing the serious violations of state law arising from the creation of these undetectable guns.

Friday’s coalition is led by the Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson and joined by California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, and the District of Columbia.
I noticed that my home state of Sweet Home Alabama is not among the culprits. Yes! As for Maura, get thee to a nunnery, you miserable scumbag!

So, let me get this straight . . . even though it is perfectly legal to build your own firearm, according to MA law (don't forget to register!) and federal law (give it a unique serial number and do some paperwork when you sell, or just keep it and don't bother), now we are getting all pissy about the WAY you build the firearm and that has to be all - full stop - TDS? This is inspiring me to un-fund the state of MA as soon as possible.

-Gary

ETA: Strike-through, since I hate spreading misinformation. Thanks, namedpipes, for the correction. Now I'm off to review all that other stuff I think I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom