(Massachusetts) After shooting decoy, charges pile up for suspected deer poachers

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Three individuals were arrested in Massachusetts after officers observed one of them shooting a deer decoy from inside a vehicle after legal hunting hours on private property.

AAQPoO8.img
© Provided by For The Win
The Massachusetts Environmental Police stated in a news release that officers on patrol in the Templeton/Phillipston area saw a vehicle spotlight illuminating the woods before one of the individuals shot the decoy with a crossbow.

ALSO ON FTW OUTDOORS: Two great white sharks tracked to ‘infamous’ California surfing beach

“Realizing it was a decoy, the vehicle attempted to flee but was subsequently stopped by Officers,” MEP said of the Nov. 11 incident. “Officers then observed deer legs within the truck bed in plain view.

“Three individuals in the vehicle, including the operator, were arrested. Through the interview process, it was reported that additional deer had been taken illegally.”

Officers seized the crossbow as evidence and impounded the vehicle.

The individuals were arraigned Monday on charges that include firing of a crossbow within 150 feet of a road; illegal hunting with a crossbow; hunting with the aid of a vehicle; hunting with artificial light; hunting after hours; tagging violations, and hunting on public land without permits.

After shooting decoy, charges pile up for suspected deer poachers

During my many years hunting the Pawtuckaway Mtn area I got to know some of my neighbors who hunted there too. Hunters would take the state park road and park near the trail that went up to the mtn. There was a river along the trail and it had a big dead log across it. Lennie Osborn and his cronies would put a mounted buck head in the brush on the other side and grease the log. We would get there early in the AM and watch the fun. Guys would shoot at the "decoy", realized that they were "taken" and got on the log to get the head. They hit the grease and into the river they went. Jack.

During my many years hunting the Pawtuckaway Mtn area I got to know some of my neighbors who hunted there too. Hunters would take the state park road and park near the trail that went up to the mtn. There was a river along the trail and it had a big dead log across it. Lennie Osborn and his cronies would put a mounted buck head in the brush on the other side and grease the log. We would get there early in the AM and watch the fun. Guys would shoot at the "decoy", realized that they were "taken" and got on the log to get the head. They hit the grease and into the river they went. Jack.
It would be great to mount like a battery-powered wireless speaker underneath/behind the buck mount and start laughing at the hunters every time they take a shot at it.

"Go home you're drunk!"

Fing Aholes. Yup Zone 5. Great. Not enough deer here in the first place. And if MA FXcks and Wanks caught them, they've probably been killing deer for years!

Why don't they go poach on Nantucket where its needed.

The hunting public land without a permit charge is weird.......they may have been at the Old Templeton State Mental Hospital farm area, I think you needed a permit for that at one time, and there are lot of big fields there. Seems like a good place for a sting.

Last edited:
Fing Aholes. Yup Zone 5. Great. Not enough deer here in the first place. And if MA FXcks and Wanks caught them, they've probably been killing deer for years!

Did they build a bridge yet or are hunters still stuck on planes or boats?

Three individuals were arrested in Massachusetts after officers observed one of them shooting a deer decoy from inside a vehicle after legal hunting hours on private property.

AAQPoO8.img
© Provided by For The Win
The Massachusetts Environmental Police stated in a news release that officers on patrol in the Templeton/Phillipston area saw a vehicle spotlight illuminating the woods before one of the individuals shot the decoy with a crossbow.

ALSO ON FTW OUTDOORS: Two great white sharks tracked to ‘infamous’ California surfing beach

“Realizing it was a decoy, the vehicle attempted to flee but was subsequently stopped by Officers,” MEP said of the Nov. 11 incident. “Officers then observed deer legs within the truck bed in plain view.

“Three individuals in the vehicle, including the operator, were arrested. Through the interview process, it was reported that additional deer had been taken illegally.”

Officers seized the crossbow as evidence and impounded the vehicle.

The individuals were arraigned Monday on charges that include firing of a crossbow within 150 feet of a road; illegal hunting with a crossbow; hunting with the aid of a vehicle; hunting with artificial light; hunting after hours; tagging violations, and hunting on public land without permits.

After shooting decoy, charges pile up for suspected deer poachers
Right in my neck of the woods .........

The hunting public land without a permit charge is weird.......they may have been at the Old Templeton State Mental Hospital farm area, I think you needed a permit for that at one time, and there are lot of big fields there. Seems like a good place for a sting.
There are plenty of fields there , but that property is still occupied , and they do have a security guy patrolling at night.

The visual this inspires is hilarious.

"Dude.... it aint moving!" [rofl]
That one does move. The head turns, ears move and tail moves. I have used one down there years ago. Same area. I am glad they finally got a hit.

Last edited:
It’s pushing 20 years ago but a sportsman’s club I was a member of near Rochester NY donated funds for a full body mount of a deer for the wardens to use for catching night and road hunters. I don’t recall the large number of arrests made, but at the end of the season they brought the deer by to show us and it was so bullet riddled it looked moth eaten. It would take a NES shoot to do more damage.

IIRC this led to a court case that the perps didn’t actually illegally take a deer by shooting a decoy. Not sure how that wound up. They had enough other charges (loaded weapons in vehicle, shooting on and across roads, etc) it didn’t matter much. I shouldn’t have been surprised that often it wasn’t first deer of night for shooter and there often was untagged deer in truck bed

Who does this? I mean, I thought most people who enjoyed hunting had a strong respect for both the animals and the conservation laws, and would see little sport in taking opportunistic pop shots out of a truck.

I hate poachers. They need to rot in jail. Scum of the earth.

Rinella had an interesting guy on hte podcast a month or two ago. I got his book. His writing sucks, but his tales of being an AZ game warden were fascinating.

It's not on Amazon. ???? I think his daughter helped him and she has an issue with actually making $ and selling books. LOL.

He had one story of a guy that was a meth-head who while cooking would wander out into the wilds and just shoot elk. Just for the hell of it. Not looking for meat. Leave em dead where they fell. WTF????

As I have learned today, The U.S Fish and Wildlife Agents are being brought in as there are possible Lacy Violations involved as well.

Who does this? I mean, I thought most people who enjoyed hunting had a strong respect for both the animals and the conservation laws, and would see little sport in taking opportunistic pop shots out of a truck.
They shoot eagles and just leave dead moose behind in Maine.
Some people just suck.

Back
Top Bottom