• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts’ Severe Gun-Control Laws Aren’t Stopping Crimes

Acujeff

NES Member

Researcher Admits Massachusetts’ Severe Gun-Control Laws Aren’t Stopping Crimes​

by David Burnett - January 7, 2022

How much does crime go down when the avid gun-control crowd gets what they want?

It turns out, not much—if at all.

Massachusetts already had some of the strictest anti-Second Amendment laws in the nation, including requiring ID cards to purchase, magazine capacity limits and bans on certain AR-type rifles and accessories, background checks for private sales, fines for not reporting stolen firearms, and much more.

As a may-issue state, local law enforcement has complete discretion over who can and cannot lawfully carry a concealed firearm.

Nevertheless, according to one academic who studied the impact, all those rights-infringing laws did little to curb crime.

Dr. Janice Iwama, an assistant professor of justice, law, and criminology at American University in Washington, D.C., looked at the effects on criminal activity in the two years following passage of new laws and concluded there was “no immediate impact on violent crimes.”

To measure effects of the Massachusetts laws, Iwama pulled records from a statewide database of gun licenses and transfers, and compared them against the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports to find any reductions in common categories of violent crime. Her results showed “no significant association found between murder, rape or aggravated assault and the passage of the 2014 Massachusetts gun legislation.”

There was a measurable effect in robberies—but not the one they were looking for. “For every one percentage point rise in denied licenses and denied licenses due to unsuitability,” Iwama writes, “robberies increased by 7.3% and 8.9%, respectively.”

In other words, the only real-world effect of the Massachusetts gun laws was an increase in robberies. Iwama doesn’t assert causation, but it’s obviously not a desired outcome, and the findings show what happens when criminals believe their victims are likely defenseless. It may also bolster the idea that criminals disregard the law, by definition, and will simply steal their firearms to perpetrate crimes. This is supported by Department of Justice research that shows “among state prison inmates who possessed a gun at the time of offense, less than 2% bought their firearm at a flea market or gun show and 40% obtained their firearm from an illegal source.”

The “unexpected” findings, Iwama reasons, may be due to inconsistent or weak enforcement, or they might need to change in the coming years; of course, two years is a decent amount of time for such laws to manifest results, if the results are to reduce crime. And of course, the NRA has been saying for years that we need to enforce existing laws that target criminals, not law-abiding citizens.

But, says Iwama, published literature shows that even the “popular” infringements show limited evidence for decreasing violent crime or suicides. “Despite arguments from both sides of the gun debate,” she writes. “There is inconsistent evidence on the effects of gun legislation in the United States.”

Like the decade-long ban on “assault weapons” that had no effect on crime, gun-control laws don’t reduce crime because they tend to regulate (or over-regulate) the law-abiding. And whether they’re passed by sincere lawmakers, or those with more nefarious intent, the primary impact of such laws is they make law-abiding citizens more vulnerable to criminals.

Wait… where is my shocked face?

2429.jpg

FC3D0A0D-621C-4BF9-8C9E-396B401704FA.jpeg

I saw a recently resurrected thread on AWB prosecutions an it got me thinking about the Bartley-Fox mandatory 1 one year in jail for carrying a firearm without a permit. It went into effect in 1975.

Does anybody ever get charged with it anymore or is it just a bargaining chip used for plea deals?

Bob

There was a measurable effect in robberies—but not the one they were looking for. “For every one percentage point rise in denied licenses and denied licenses due to unsuitability,” Iwama writes, “robberies increased by 7.3% and 8.9%, respectively.”

In other words, the only real-world effect of the Massachusetts gun laws was an increase in robberies.
You might say "causation does not equal correlation". Ok but it DEFINITELY opens the door for more inquiry.

Her results showed "no significant association found between murder, rape or aggravated assault and the passage of the 2014 Massachusetts gun legislation."

Does anyone have a summary of what gun laws were part of that 2014 gun control act?

View attachment 563876

I saw a recently resurrected thread on AWB prosecutions an it got me thinking about the Bartley-Fox mandatory 1 one year in jail for carrying a firearm without a permit. It went into effect in 1975.

Does anybody ever get charged with it anymore or is it just a bargaining chip used for plea deals?

Bob
Back in 1977, I purchased a Crosman 760 .177 pellet/BB air rifle at the now long defunct Lechmeres in Salem, NH. Brought it back to my home in Lawrence and used it for a whole year, target shooting with friends. I was a high school kid and had no idea that I faced a mandatory year in jail because I didn't have an FID card. As soon as I turned 18, I got my FID. Still have it, but have to renew every 6 years. I guess air guns need no permits now. My FID covers my pump action shotgun and my two bolt action small caliber rifles (.22 and .223).

While the percentage of denied firearms licenses and firearms license applications had little to no effect on violent crimes, Iwama suggests state lawmakers revisit their legislation to ensure that it is being implemented as intended and address challenges identified. In particular, are these findings the result of a longer-than-expected lag in enforcement following passage of the legislation? Are they due to individuals obtaining firearms in nearby states with looser gun laws? Or is it possible that the 2014 law is being enforced differentially by county?

“It is important for policymakers, practitioners, and researchers to consider the magnitude of effects of their laws and how they may be influenced by different levels of enforcement in the state or by the lack of enforcement in surrounding states,” cautions Iwama.

The study was actually funded by Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS).

Academics have great faith in the written word of law. They take as given that gun laws always work. If it appears like they don’t, it’s just that the laws were not rigorous enough, left in place long enough, were not complied with or enforced sufficiently, were mitigated by lax laws in other states, or require more laws be passed before they are effective.

Ten years? Not long enough - just wait, the laws might work in 20yr. If not, maybe 30yr.
How about NH gun laws? Until NH passes strict gun laws, MA gun laws won’t work. (Exactly why we must sustain state-run elections rather than fed-run elections.)
Are some MA LTC-granting authorities too “liberal” in issuing LTCs? Maybe they should be guided in more rigorous discretion to deny more LTCs?
Lawmakers should ensure measures are being implemented as intended. “Hey, implement these laws in a way that they work.”

Had this study found that MA gun laws reduced crime, that would justify more funding to reduce crime even more. As the study found MA gun laws don’t work, it justifies more funding to make them work.

Back in 1977, I purchased a Crosman 760 .177 pellet/BB air rifle at the now long defunct Lechmeres in Salem, NH. Brought it back to my home in Lawrence and used it for a whole year, target shooting with friends. I was a high school kid and had no idea that I faced a mandatory year in jail because I didn't have an FID card. As soon as I turned 18, I got my FID. Still have it, but have to renew every 6 years. I guess air guns need no permits now. My FID covers my pump action shotgun and my two bolt action small caliber rifles (.22 and .223).
Lechmeres, I forgot about them. I bought my 1st shotgun at Service Merchandise, a 12 ga H&R single shot.

Whenever anyone says, The CDC isn’t allowed to study gun violence!!11!!!” I point out:

1) No, they’re not allowed to promote gun control. They can study anything.

2) They DID study “gun violence”, and buried the results because the study showed gun control doesn’t reduce crime.

3) The CDC isn’t the only group to do such studies, and they’re not the only group to come to the same “unfavorable” conclusion.

Last edited:
Whenever anyone says, The CDC isn’t allowed to study gun violence!!11!!!” I point out:

1) No, they’re not allowed to promote gun control. They can study anything.

2) The DID study “gun violence”, and buried the results because the study showed gun control doesn’t reduce crime.

3) The CDC isn’t the only group to do such studies, and they’re not the only group to come to the same “unfavorable” conclusion.
A simple “firearms” search in PubMed shows publications on firearms in the biomedical academic journals is skyrocketing. A few million in funding from CDC pales next to the $100s of millions from Soros & Bloomberg funneled through Joyce Foundation, McArthur Foundation, and other liberal money-laundering organizations. Liberals & Progressives are not throwing down $$$ - they just click Like and Re-Tweet.

AFB4B3E4-AE27-41A0-A52E-EFC8A2131D03.jpeg

A simple “firearms” search in PubMed shows publications on firearms in the biomedical academic journals is skyrocketing. A few million in funding from CDC pales next to the $100s of millions from Soros & Bloomberg funneled through Joyce Foundation, McArthur Foundation, and other liberal money-laundering organizations. Liberals & Progressives are not throwing down $$$ - they just click Like and Re-Tweet.

View attachment 564022

Gosh! I wonder what happened to the results of those studies!

Do you have a link to where that chart came from?

Is it even used as a bargaining chip,
or is it only used for Donk Pol Virtue Signaling via its mere existence?

As a may-issue state, local law enforcement has complete discretion over who can and cannot lawfully carry a concealed firearm.

Aren't you "shall issue" now, and if they DO give a rejection they have to defend it in court?

No gun law is going to protect you, and the reason is simple, criminals and whackos don't obey laws, any laws. Gun laws were created to give ignorant people a sense of security and to restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens.

Aren't you "shall issue" now, and if they DO give a rejection they have to defend it in court?
No, the legislature even turned FID's to May Issue post Heller & Miller to give SCotUS the finger.

No, the legislature even turned FID's to May Issue post Heller & Miller to give SCotUS the finger.

FID: Chiefs must first petition the court to deny someone his/her FID card. Because it is in the courts, it gives GOAL and others the ability to track what Chiefs are doing. The language also includes defined time limits, if there is no decision rendered in the prescribed amount of time, the license will be issued.

LTC: The Class B License was eliminated; going forward there is only one License to Carry. (LTC). Chiefs now have to put denials in writing so that the burden of proof is on the police chief to defend the denial or restriction in District Court. Also, for the first time gun owners can appeal their LTC restrictions in District Court.

FID: Chiefs must first petition the court to deny someone his/her FID card. Because it is in the courts, it gives GOAL and others the ability to track what Chiefs are doing. The language also includes defined time limits, if there is no decision rendered in the prescribed amount of time, the license will be issued.

LTC: The Class B License was eliminated; going forward there is only one License to Carry. (LTC). Chiefs now have to put denials in writing so that the burden of proof is on the police chief to defend the denial or restriction in District Court. Also, for the first time gun owners can appeal their LTC restrictions in District Court.
Before the change, absent a statutory disqualifier, FIDs were Shall Issue; after it became easier for CoP to deny an FID, but not "easy." Yes, Boss Cop has to do the court thing, but if that route is taken, the applicant has to pay for their own representation, and the Issuing Authority has the city/town lawyer, so it's no-cost.

Back
Top Bottom