Mass vs Maine gun laws

Cos

Hi does anyone know the rules about bringing a registered handgun to maine from mass if I have a property in maine that’s not my full time residence but I have a maine state id? Thanks

Bring all the guns you want to Maine. There is no licensing for possessing or carrying (well aside from state parks I believe) guns in Maine.

Hi does anyone know the rules about bringing a registered handgun to maine from mass if I have a property in maine that’s not my full time residence but I have a maine state id? Thanks
You don’t have registered handguns because MA does not have registration. MA records transactions. This is a very important distinction. It is never unlawful to have a gun that the state of MA does not know about.

MA has warped your baseline of what is normal and legal. Most states have ZERO requirements for gun ownership other than federal law. No permit, no permission, no storage laws, etc. 22 states have no requirements for concealed carry either. No permit or permission required.

You bring up residence. This only matters when purchasing guns and the ATF definition of residence is different than what you think. Residence means different things for drivers license, taxes, gun purchases, etc. If you have a home in ME when you are resident there, the atf considers you a resident of ME and you can buy guns in ME. You can be a resident of multiple states under ATF definitions.

So take your guns to Maine. Carry them. Shoot them. Buy more of them. Enjoy a little freedom.

Back
Top Bottom