• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

mass transportation law

mac1911

NES Member
Am i understanding this correctly, only on non large capacity rifle and shotgun

You do not need a case(not that I would not have a case) as long as it is unloaded and not under direct control ?

now under direct control im sure is a loose issue as I would not want to be in the car with uncases rifles and shotguns in the back seat if ever pulled over.

Am i understanding this correctly, only on non large capacity rifle and shotgun

You do not need a case(not that I would not have a case) as long as it is unloaded and not under direct control ?
The full text of the law is here: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

As you can see, non-large capacity long guns are not mentioned (note that the word "firearm" in this section effectively means "handgun"). So, yes, you can transport an uncased, non-large capacity long gun, on the backseat of your car. I would not recommend doing so, as I suspect many (most?) officers are not that familiar with this fine distinction in the law.

The full text of the law is here: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

As you can see, non-large capacity long guns are not mentioned (note that the word "firearm" in this section effectively means "handgun"). So, yes, you can transport an uncased, non-large capacity long gun, on the backseat of your car. I would not recommend doing so, as I suspect many (most?) officers are not that familiar with this fine distinction in the law.
Exactly correct, the law is silent of 'FID' type guns. It's worth pointing out that the statute (as I read it) only applies to license holders. If you don't have a license you can transport a gun anyway you want. Of course you may have other problems......

Back
Top Bottom