Mass to charge extra tolls during rush hours

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It should not be allowed to charge non-residents higher fees for using the roads.
It is not non-residents, but out of state transponders.

Back when the prices were the same for out of state, but MA charged for the transponder, I used a NY EzPass which they issued to me as a MA resident with a MA address.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
It is not non-residents, but out of state transponders.

Back when the prices were the same for out of state, but MA charged for the transponder, I used a NY EzPass which they issued to me as a MA resident with a MA address.
A friend of mine did that too because NY was giving them away for free.
On the NY application form, it asked if he sometimes tows a trailer, and if so, the weight and number of axles.
He tows his boat so he filled out that section, and NY sent him TWO transponders with an RF shielded bag to store the one not being used.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The discounts don't work that way for ezpass... anyone can buy an MA ezpass transponder. Hell I live in MA and have an NH one out of spite, lol.

The only people that got geographical discounts are certain Boston residents, and even then its only on the tunnels I think.

-Mike
I believe certain residents get Tobin Bridge toll discounts.

As to your NH transponder - you do realize you are paying a higher rate on the Mass Pike than with a MA transponder don't you? How is that spiting MA?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
I also bought NH transponders as I don't trust MA for anything that I can avoid. IIRC I could have gotten them free from MA, but still "no sale". I think that I've used the Mass Pike and/or the Tobin Bridge perhaps twice in the past 5-10 yrs. Meanwhile all other tolls have been in NH and ME, but again that wasn't my reason for deciding on NH transponders. I don't care if I've had to pay an additional $1 or $2 to MA for those few times.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
The big dig apparently just moved traffic. I was a kid when the project was underway, but I will say having commuted downtown half the time it takes me longer to get From Framingham to Newton on the pike than Newton to Government Center. It just pushed the traffic out, and it will only get worse. The commuter rail is f***ing pathetic.

Mike
And exactly the same thing will happen with the SNH lane expansion on 93. They’ve just moved the traffic jam from Exit 1.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I’ve stayed out of this thread because I don’t feel comfortable arguing that tolls should not be reduced.
They should be reduced to ZERO. There is no reason to charge a gas tax and then charge tolls in Mass. MAYBE to pay for the TWT, but that should have a time limit. Otherwise, we are paying to drive on 90 for no other reason than to pay tolls to AssPike.

We sure are provincial up here in the New England backwater. Has no one driven in other parts of the country? Many states now have private tollroads. You can sit in traffic for free or pay to get where you're going in a reasonable amount of time.

We were in the DC area at Easter. The toll roads down there have real time toll adjustments depending on time of day and congestion. Electronic billboards are updated with the cost to get to various exits as you decide whether or not to get on the on ramp.

This is baby steps.
That's vastly different than charging different amounts for different times of day. The latter will only lead to LONGER traffic cycles. The former is actually a smart idea.

And there isn't nearly enough room in this AO to build NEW highways next to OLD highways to handle this paid-express traffic. (And if some dolt breaks down and causes a backup on the paid road, do you get a refund?? I bet not.)

The big dig apparently just moved traffic. I was a kid when the project was underway, but I will say having commuted downtown half the time it takes me longer to get From Framingham to Newton on the pike than Newton to Government Center. It just pushed the traffic out, and it will only get worse. The commuter rail is f***ing pathetic.

Mike
Yep. It's why they spent a decade widening Rt 3 and spending the same amount, if not longer, to widen 95 south of the Pike. MA never bothered to anticipate that there would be more and more and more drivers. "Three lanes from the Pike to the Split? Seems like more than enough!" NO!

But the # of cars in the last 30 years has MASSIVELY increased in MA. I could drive to Bentley in 90 in 45 min from Easton. During rush hour. When the speed limit was 55 and traffic ran at 60. The only backup was when 93 merged in.

In NH it's 30% off for an in-state transponder. Of course when we still had toll tokens - before John Lynch took them away [angry] - the discount was 50%.
I still have a few of those! LOL

Sometimes this stuff is done to make people BELIEVE they are getting a deal. I was at Disney in June. I observed something: For the "modern" rides (Anything after, say 2000), FastPass is a complete disaster. It backs up the regular line to allow people to BELIEVE they are going faster. But you only get 4 FP's a day - so you wind up getting on 4 rides fast, and waiting FOREVER in the other 6-8 rides you go on that day.

How dumb is that???

Seems that they should just have NO FP and let people meander through the lines. They move pretty darned quick. You get on Toy Story Mania at the start of the day - when no one is FP'ing, and you walk at a slow clip. Two hours later, you stand still for an hour in the same length line.

But it isn't about making it faster for everyone. It's about PERCEPTION of getting a "deal." And, sadly, because they HAVE this system, I HAVE to play the game. :(

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I believe certain residents get Tobin Bridge toll discounts.

As to your NH transponder - you do realize you are paying a higher rate on the Mass Pike than with a MA transponder don't you? How is that spiting MA?
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. Not long ago there wasn't really a price difference, now there is.

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This thread reminded me to add my new 20 foot trailer to my EZ-Pass account; I now have the car (never tows anything), and my truck with a double axle camper, single axle utility and a the double axle 20 footers. I have no idea how it gets sorted out - but all the info is in there.

My wife asked how long till they issue speeding tickets based on time between gantries?

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
They do that in FL. Been doing so for 20 years or more.
Nope. Only for speeding in the actual plaza lanes/zones, not for speeding on normal road. Lots of states do that because it's free revenue but they can couch it in "safety".

The fantasm of "estimated speeding tickets based off electronic tolling" is still pretty much garbage.

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
My wife asked how long till they issue speeding tickets based on time between gantries?
People have been braying about this possibility for well over 30 years, but it still hasn't come true yet.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I had a limo driver in FL that told me it was gospel truth. He coulda been lying. I don't care one way or 'nother. I do find it funny that as they approach the gantries on 90, most drivers brake like there's a cop around. LOL

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I honestly don't understand how the Feds let the states tax passage on a Federal Interstate highway. Especially if the Feds don't get their pound of flesh from it.

Taxing state roads, yup, okay, whatever.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As to screwing working people ....

If you are on disability and Medicare, you pay a small premium for the Medicare. If you choose to work and not collect disability, you pay an earner's penalty in the form of a higher Medicare premium.

Oh, and if you work you are kicked off disability if you earn more than $1100 or so a month. My disability works out to the equivalent of $17.50/hour full time equivalent (actually, a tiny bit more since only 85% of it is taxable) .... which means that even if I were up to working full time, I could not afford to take a mindless retirement job like selling hardware or sofas.

Top Bottom