Mass RMV

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mass. Make it harder for the auto industry to make a comeback.
Shouldn't surprise anyone. Massachusetts has consistently been ranked as being in the top 5/6 worst States to do business in.

And, BTW, I hate to be an alarmist but get ready to be placed under siege by our feckless leaders with non-stop tax increases, fee increases, tolls, and the like when this Covid BS ends.

Seriously, it is gonna be bad, real bad.

Last edited:

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Could be worse. NH has only three or four locations open by appointment only. Closest one to me is an hour away.
Cant seem to get my plates through the town hall as easy as it’s supposed to be.
Plus side is they’ve realized the issue and have thrown out the “plates and license in 60 days rule” while this is going on.

Down side is I can’t get a resident fishing license without a DL.
Next week is my appointment.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I was not aware that AAA EVER did issue plates. Have they done that in the past?

Other than plates, AAA would allow you to join if you were not a member and then immediately use their services.

That's new to me, how long have MA dealers been doing that? Is this only for new cars or can they do used as well? (new car dealer selling a used car)
It’s only been a year or two since AAA has been offering RMV services. They do a lot of the renewal stuff as well as Registration Transfers (not new plates).

Dealerships have been issuing plates in MA for at least 15 years, it’s mostly new car dealers (for new and used cars they sell). The smaller independent used car dealers usually are not in the DRIVE program (don’t issue plates).

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
MA does NOT allow the issuance of temporary plates. Furthermore, non-MA dealers aren't allowed to issue temporary plates to MA customers. I bought a car from a RI dealer a number of years ago and even though I was swapping plates, I had to run to insurance and then RMV myself and then back to dealer to affix plates and drive it home. PITA, but that is how it works.
Actually, MA announced a short while ago (earlier this year, maybe late last year) that dealers can now issue temporary plates for specific, limited situations. Don't have the details and haven’t actually seen one go through yet. But you’re right, in general, temporary plates aren‘t done in MA.

Last edited:

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yeah, we still have a runner, it's business as usual with us. He processed 3 sets of new plates for me this past Wednesday. I can get you his number if you want? Not sure where you are located.
Thanks. I can call old Frank from Pawtucket if we really need a runner. Since we’re on the RI line there are RI dealers who have runners and we can usually farm it out to one of them if really needed. We have only had a handful of new plates since the lockdown, and some of them were motorcycles. Waiting to see if they’ll do a motorcycle we issued an RTA for last week. One of my CSRs has a son who just returned from deployment in Afghanistan, she went to the RMV 3 weeks ago to register his bike (he was still on base quarantine). They weren’t going to do it, non-essential, until she pulled the tearful military mom son returned from deployment card and they did it.

northny

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Between Cabelas and Harvard Sportsmen’s Club
Can you share where you heard it? I have a teen keenly interested in the accuracy of this data. No promises he won’t go wolverines if it IS accurate either
From wife's hairdresser on Friday Hairdresser's daughter had just finished her drivers ed course day before shutdown Now that she tried to schedule road test got October date Leominster area

YMMV

Sparkey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
So how do I register and get plates for a new trailer? Ever time I check no appointments available in Springfield or Worcester which is BS
Any down side to registering in Maine ? I know has been discussed here before
For now I guess I will throw my dump trailer plates on just switching back and forth is a pain plus 10k trailer plate on a 1k utility trailer is silly.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The ma insurance bulshit would prevent that from happening but there's no reason why the RMV can't allow insurance agencies to act as a full proxy for most transactions.... like it's a rocket science to give insurance agencies a pile of license plates or something..... they just don't like that because the hacks that work at the RMV would probably lose some jobs in the end it because they wouldn't need the same level of staffing....

ETA: some of the RMV bullshitr is also administratively punitive like for example if somebody had a 30-day suspension for three speeding tickets, when the suspension is up, you have to go to an RMV to pay $100 fine, and it cannot be done online- despite the fact that it literally takes them 30 seconds to reactivate your license at any RMV location with a couple of keyboard clicks after taking your hundred bucks.... It's immediately clear to me that various procedures are just in place to f*** with people and make life difficult. EG they want to remind you that you "need" the state whenever they get the chance.
They actually do allow insurance agencies to issue plates for their customers but very few do it because of the requirements involved: separate computers, safe/plate storage, separate processing area, reporting, staff training/certification, data retention etc. It’s easier/cheaper to find a runner for the relatively few transactions that require it. At least that‘s our experience, very few transactions we handle require it (private part sales only). We have a handful of customers who regularly do private part transactions, not really the business we target and if someone leaves us over not issuing plates having a runner, so be it. We stopped taking cash for monthly payments ten years ago and we didn’t lose any business over it and again, not really the business we’re targeting anyway (we accept cash payments for new policy deposits, if they‘re going to pay premium in full, if they’re under cancellation but not for regular monthly payments).

Just got an announcement last week that the RMV will allow us to do registration renewals/reinstatements for our customers although most renewals can already be done online. I think it’s only a matter of time before they allow us to do Plate transfers.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So how do I register and get plates for a new trailer? Ever time I check no appointments available in Springfield or Worcester which is BS
For now I guess I will throw my dump trailer plates on just switching back and forth is a pain plus 10k trailer plate on a 1k utility trailer is silly.
Try to book the appointment during business hours, I have heard of people having difficulty booking appointments after hours. Careful switching plate back and forth, not sure how much the popo are enforcing these days but if you get caught attaching plates it can be a major headache.

Sparkey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Try to book the appointment during business hours, I have heard of people having difficulty booking appointments after hours. Careful switching plate back and forth, not sure how much the popo are enforcing these days but if you get caught attaching plates it can be a major headache.
Thanks will try during business hours
Not to worried about switching plates both trailers are black some cop would have to be a super dickhead to bust me for that but then again I am the guy who would end up in jail for something like that

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
There is zero downside to Maine trailer plates.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
There is zero downside to Maine trailer plates.
That depends on where you live and what kind of insurance coverage you want on your trailer. If you live in MA and want physical damage coverage on a trailer, you won’t be able to do that on a ME plate. If you live in southern MA and use the trailer frequently and get pulled over, it can be an issue & it can be an issue if you have a Karen neighbor who has an issue with it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try registering a new boat. They gladly take your sales tax online. No new registration online. Mail only

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
That depends on where you live and what kind of insurance coverage you want on your trailer. If you live in MA and want physical damage coverage on a trailer, you won’t be able to do that on a ME plate. If you live in southern MA and use the trailer frequently and get pulled over, it can be an issue & it can be an issue if you have a Karen neighbor who has an issue with it.
Huh? This trailer had damage coverage.

Attachments

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
They actually do allow insurance agencies to issue plates for their customers but very few do it because of the requirements involved: separate computers, safe/plate storage, separate processing area, reporting, staff training/certification, data retention etc. It’s easier/cheaper to find a runner for the relatively few transactions that require it. At least that‘s our experience, very few transactions we handle require it (private part sales only). We have a handful of customers who regularly do private part transactions, not really the business we target and if someone leaves us over not issuing plates having a runner, so be it. We stopped taking cash for monthly payments ten years ago and we didn’t lose any business over it and again, not really the business we’re targeting anyway (we accept cash payments for new policy deposits, if they‘re going to pay premium in full, if they’re under cancellation but not for regular monthly payments).

Just got an announcement last week that the RMV will allow us to do registration renewals/reinstatements for our customers although most renewals can already be done online. I think it’s only a matter of time before they allow us to do Plate transfers.
Thanks for the information but it still sounds pretty obstructionist to me. Insurance agencies already processing pretty sensitive shit on their regular computers not really sure why logging into some RMV portal would be a huge deal. Even having a separate computer isn't a huge deal. Training? Thats laughable considering most insurance agencies know more about car reg laws in MA vs the avg RMV clerk....

vickers

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that the above applies if buying from a Non-MA dealer, however it still would not have applied in my case. The car that I bought replaced a dead car sitting in my yard, not driveable (it was later donated to a charity) so I had not lost possession of the car.
I bought my Jeep in CT last summer because I found a dealer that was willing to discount heavily on a new Jeep unlike any dealership in Mass. The dealership told me Mass was the only state that wouldn't allow him to just issue a temp plate, however, he told me if I was trading in a car, I would be able to do the swap of plate and drive home legally in the new car. I went on the RMV website and looked at that article and determined that it appeared to be legal and so that is what I did.

Your case was different, but I as I read it you would have been ok in doing the swap if you had had them pickup the donated car before you picked up the new car.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I bought my Jeep in CT last summer because I found a dealer that was willing to discount heavily on a new Jeep unlike any dealership in Mass. The dealership told me Mass was the only state that wouldn't allow him to just issue a temp plate, however, he told me if I was trading in a car, I would be able to do the swap of plate and drive home legally in the new car. I went on the RMV website and looked at that article and determined that it appeared to be legal and so that is what I did.

Your case was different, but I as I read it you would have been ok in doing the swap if you had had them pickup the donated car before you picked up the new car.
I would suggest contacting your insurance first next time. From a pure RMV standpoint he was right, but you want to make sure coverage is bound before you drive off in the car, just putting plates from the old car onto the new one doesn't guarantee that.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I would suggest contacting your insurance first next time. From a pure RMV standpoint he was right, but you want to make sure coverage is bound before you drive off in the car, just putting plates from the old car onto the new one doesn't guarantee that.
Yeah a lot of people don't get that obviously if you're trading in a junk the junk is valued at a far lower level than the car that you just bought if you get into an accident with it on the way home or whatever you could end up with a shit creek problem... mine had no problem with it once they had the VIN to the new car and they swapped some paperwork to the remote dealer and took care of everything.... all I had to do was go to the RMV when I got back and pay for the new plates tax and reg...

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Also, insurance agencies/companies bind coverage, we’re not the RMV police. Sure, we can advise but at the end of the day, if an out of state dealer emails/faxes a P&S/copy of the title/RTA I can bind coverage. SPEAKING FOR MY CLIENTS ONLY: Once I have bound coverage, if you get into an accident on the way home you will have coverage up to the limits you purchased regardless if you’re driving on a dealer temporary plate or not. If you get pulled over, you may get a ticket but that‘s your choice/risk to take. Sometimes it’s difficult to separate the insurance coverage from the RMV aspect of it but from my point of view, I’m really only interested in whether there’s coverage not whether someone is in compliance w/RMV rules. Again, that advice/viewpoint is what I give my customers, your insurance provider may feel differently. And of course I’d never advise a client to do anything illegal like attaching plates, etc.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.4%
61   1   0
When I bought my car at Majestic Honda in Lincoln, RI, you can almost see AMICA's home office ~1/2 mile up that same road. I found out that I could not go there to get the insurance stamp for RMV . . . I had to drive to Raynham (closest MA AMICA office), then go to the RMV to get the plates transferred legally . . . and not any RMV but only one of a handful authorized to do so without charging me the MA sales tax (there is a compact with 5 NE states that you pay the sales tax thru the dealer to the state that the dealer is in and get an exemption document for MA DOR). Otherwise, you would have to pay the sales tax to both RI and MA and then file an abatement with MA that they may or may not grant perhaps 6 months later!

It was a royal PITA and a learning experience.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yeah a lot of people don't get that obviously if you're trading in a junk the junk is valued at a far lower level than the car that you just bought if you get into an accident with it on the way home or whatever you could end up with a shit creek problem... mine had no problem with it once they had the VIN to the new car and they swapped some paperwork to the remote dealer and took care of everything.... all I had to do was go to the RMV when I got back and pay for the new plates tax and reg...
Exactly, it’s never a problem until you get into an accident on the way home and coverage isn’t bound. You trade in/transfer from an old beater w liability only to a new car that requires Collision/Comp and you get into an accident on the way home and didn't have the coverages bound on the new car - good luck.

Sully

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, we still have a runner, it's business as usual with us. He processed 3 sets of new plates for me this past Wednesday. I can get you his number if you want? Not sure where you are located.
This. Have it on ”good accord” that a known runner can execute “non-essential“ transactions at the RMV in today’s state. Tip him (or her) for it.

Top Bottom