Mass RMV

Junior314

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
They are appointment only for 8 select locations. They are currently booked out for a week plus. Not sure why they can’t open every location if they are limiting you to appointment only but if I tried to understand why government does what government does I would be running in a circle.

Any tricks to getting a slot? Need to register and title a vehicle I purchased private party.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are appointment only for 8 select locations. They are currently booked out for a week plus. Not sure why they can’t open every location if they are limiting you to appointment only but if I tried to understand why government does what government does I would be running in a circle.

Any tricks to getting a slot? Need to register and title a vehicle I purchased private party.
Not so hard to understand. More control of the sheep.

Good luck!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No idea.The RMV was a "joy" to deal with BEFORE the Wu-Flu, even worse now. I do running for a dealership and this week I had to go to Milford twice just to register a bike. Drop off paperwork and check on one day, pick up plate a reg the next. Private party is even more difficult.

Good luck.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
From what my customers are telling me & the notices we’re getting from the RMV, appointments are booking a few days out and only for ”necessary“ transactions. Not sure if it has changed but registering a motorcycle if it’s a second vehicle is not considered necessary, had two customers turned away from the RMV in recent weeks. Also, if you make an appointment to register a vehicle they won’t do any other transactions i.e. they won’t also renew an expired license. If it’s a private party transaction your insurance agent should be able to upload the RTA (the new version of the RMV1 form) to the RMV so they can just scan the bar code on the form when you get there and it goes more smoothly. It’s a fairly new feature & when it works it’s great.

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if they are barely performing services for us pee ons why are many of them not laid off?
They are a completely useless organization and exist only to support themselves off the wallets of the Taxpayers. The majority of their services could easily be handled by any auto dealership set up to do so, even the issuance of plates and registrations.

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You may be able to do that at a AAA office, if you're a member.
That's the one and only reason that I joined AAA. Local office right in my town and no trips to the RMV. Jack.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That's the one and only reason that I joined AAA. Local office right in my town and no trips to the RMV. Jack.
Same here.

OP,

Call the local AAA office and see if you can do the transaction there. They don’t do all the transactions of the RMV. Most but not all.

You can also call your insurance agent, if you have one, and see if they have a runner that will do the transaction at the RMV for you.

Bob

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Same here.

OP,

Call the local AAA office and see if you can do the transaction there. They don’t do all the transactions of the RMV. Most but not all.

You can also call your insurance agent, if you have one, and see if they have a runner that will do the transaction at the RMV for you.

Bob
Most insurance agencies don't have their own runner anymore, they use runners from nearby car dealerships. Since most MA dealers now issue their own plates, runners are few and far between, mostly retired folks. We used to have a local guy doing the running for us but we maybe used him once every couple of months and he was 143 years old back then... Also, I believe runners are restricted to only a couple of the open RMV locations and they have to drop off and pick up later, and if there's a single thing wrong/incomplete w/ the paperwork it gets returned. I heard a couple of customers try the local AAA office a couple weeks ago and they weren't doing plates at the time. We (insurance agencies) have been informed that we'll soon have the ability to process Registration renewals and reinstatements. There's no reason in the world the RMV offices can't be open, but government services gonna be government services...

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You buy a vehicle and cant register it within the allowed period. What do you do now?

Drive around with the paper showing you have an appointment?
If it's a Transfer of Registration, you have a week to drive around w/ the paperwork in the car. If it's a new plate from a dealer purchased car, most dealers can issue the plate. The tough one is when it's a private party purchase that requires a new plate, for that you have to make an appointment and go to the RMV, usually a couple of days wait for an appointment

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.4%
60   1   0
If it's a Transfer of Registration, you have a week to drive around w/ the paperwork in the car. If it's a new plate from a dealer purchased car, most dealers can issue the plate. The tough one is when it's a private party purchase that requires a new plate, for that you have to make an appointment and go to the RMV, usually a couple of days wait for an appointment
MA does NOT allow the issuance of temporary plates. Furthermore, non-MA dealers aren't allowed to issue temporary plates to MA customers. I bought a car from a RI dealer a number of years ago and even though I was swapping plates, I had to run to insurance and then RMV myself and then back to dealer to affix plates and drive it home. PITA, but that is how it works.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
MA does NOT allow the issuance of temporary plates. Furthermore, non-MA dealers aren't allowed to issue temporary plates to MA customers. I bought a car from a RI dealer a number of years ago and even though I was swapping plates, I had to run to insurance and then RMV myself and then back to dealer to affix plates and drive it home. PITA, but that is how it works.
You have 7 days if its just plate swap.

7 Day Transfer Law
If you already own a vehicle or trailer, and buy a new one from a dealer or a used vehicle or trailer from an individual, you can transfer your registration to the new vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of 7 calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your new one.

Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:

• You must be at least 18 years old
  • The new vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous one
  • You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle
  • You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle
  • The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle
There is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.

Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from a dealer

I had to do the run to RMV to do a plate swap on a travel trailer I bought in NY because the trailer I was trading in was in my name and the new one was going to be in both my name and my wife’s so we needed new plates.

I had to go to RMV and get a set of plates for the new trailer. Bring the old trailer to NY and take off the old plates to return to RMV. Then I got to take the new one home. It was easier than making two trips.

While it was a PIA the savings on the sale made it worthwhile.

Cant even get an appointment currently. It’s a joke.
Thats freaking ridiculous.

Bob

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.4%
60   1   0
You have 7 days if its just plate swap.

7 Day Transfer Law
If you already own a vehicle or trailer, and buy a new one from a dealer or a used vehicle or trailer from an individual, you can transfer your registration to the new vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of 7 calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your new one.

Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:

• You must be at least 18 years old
  • The new vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous one
  • You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle
  • You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle
  • The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle
There is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.

Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from a dealer

I had to do the run to RMV to do a plate swap on a travel trailer I bought in NY because the trailer I was trading in was in my name and the new one was going to be in both my name and my wife’s so we needed new plates.

I had to go to RMV and get a set of plates for the new trailer. Bring the old trailer to NY and take off the old plates to return to RMV. Then I got to take the new one home. It was easier than making two trips.

While it was a PIA the savings on the sale made it worthwhile.

Thats freaking ridiculous.

Bob
I'm not sure that the above applies if buying from a Non-MA dealer, however it still would not have applied in my case. The car that I bought replaced a dead car sitting in my yard, not driveable (it was later donated to a charity) so I had not lost possession of the car.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Mine does everything but renew my DL.
Why this state can’t get with the program of local town halls doing it is beyond stupid. Ooohhh never mind on my stupid reasoning.
It should be an online form.
Upload new VIN, done. Receive the new registration in a few days. In the meantime, print the receipt.

That would be too easy, the govt cant risk letting us forget we need them and the huge welfare plan the RMV is.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
It should be an online form.
Upload new VIN, done. Receive the new registration in a few days. In the meantime, print the receipt.

That would be too easy, the govt cant risk letting us forget we need them and the huge welfare plan the RMV is.
The ma insurance bulshit would prevent that from happening but there's no reason why the RMV can't allow insurance agencies to act as a full proxy for most transactions.... like it's a rocket science to give insurance agencies a pile of license plates or something..... they just don't like that because the hacks that work at the RMV would probably lose some jobs in the end it because they wouldn't need the same level of staffing....

ETA: some of the RMV bullshitr is also administratively punitive like for example if somebody had a 30-day suspension for three speeding tickets, when the suspension is up, you have to go to an RMV to pay $100 fine, and it cannot be done online- despite the fact that it literally takes them 30 seconds to reactivate your license at any RMV location with a couple of keyboard clicks after taking your hundred bucks.... It's immediately clear to me that various procedures are just in place to f*** with people and make life difficult. EG they want to remind you that you "need" the state whenever they get the chance.

Last edited:

daggrant99

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most insurance agencies don't have their own runner anymore, they use runners from nearby car dealerships. Since most MA dealers now issue their own plates, runners are few and far between, mostly retired folks. We used to have a local guy doing the running for us but we maybe used him once every couple of months and he was 143 years old back then... Also, I believe runners are restricted to only a couple of the open RMV locations and they have to drop off and pick up later, and if there's a single thing wrong/incomplete w/ the paperwork it gets returned. I heard a couple of customers try the local AAA office a couple weeks ago and they weren't doing plates at the time. We (insurance agencies) have been informed that we'll soon have the ability to process Registration renewals and reinstatements. There's no reason in the world the RMV offices can't be open, but government services gonna be government services...
Yeah, we still have a runner, it's business as usual with us. He processed 3 sets of new plates for me this past Wednesday. I can get you his number if you want? Not sure where you are located.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Call the local AAA office and see if you can do the transaction there.
I heard a couple of customers try the local AAA office a couple weeks ago and they weren't doing plates at the time.
I was not aware that AAA EVER did issue plates. Have they done that in the past?

Other than plates, AAA would allow you to join if you were not a member and then immediately use their services.

Since most MA dealers now issue their own plates
That's new to me, how long have MA dealers been doing that? Is this only for new cars or can they do used as well? (new car dealer selling a used car)

Top Bottom