Mass Resident traveling to parents in RI?

Hello im new here and just have a question regarding traveling to and from my parents house. I currently live with my girlfriend and have mass residency and a Mass LTC class A no restrictionsy parents live right on the edge of RI and I sometimes stay overnight there. My question is would I really be doing any wrong by traveling to my parents with my gun locked in the trunk unloaded and locked and bringing it into there residents And the next morning when leaving go right back into mass. I know the law states to not contain yourself within the state but I also heard of it being ok as long as traveling to a residents/private property ? Thank you for any information and glad to be apart of this community!

That would not be allowable under RI statute. The reference is to "your" home or place of business.

ETA: This refers to handguns. Long guns would be OK as you describe above.

Hi n1bsbri, I also have an unrestricted MA LTC, and have to enter Providence a few times a month for business. Allowable? Thanks!

Hi n1bsbri, I also have an unrestricted MA LTC, and have to enter Providence a few times a month for business. Allowable? Thanks!
Certainly allowable to travel to RI unless your probation officer prohibits out of state travel, just don't bring your gun as there is no reciprocity outside the "travel through" exemption.

You may carry your gun only if you are driving through without intent to delay or detain yourself (and have a MA LTC), or possess a RI pistol permit.

A MA LTC has zero reliance in RI, you would need a RI CCW permit to carry.
Not "Zero". You cannot rely on a the "without intent to detain or delay yourself" exemption without it.

If you go to Providence for you business rather than for business, I suggest you apply under 11-47-11 there and don't take NO for an answer.
Just be sure your business will verify that you are authorized to be armed on the job.

If you can pull that off, appy via the RI AG's office. If you go that route, you will need a range test - post to NES to find someone near you who can give it (I can karma you one of the required targets)

Just be sure your business will verify that you are authorized to be armed on the job.

If you can pull that off, appy via the RI AG's office. If you go that route, you will need a range test - post to NES to find someone near you who can give it (I can karma you one of the required targets)

While you can apply via the AG where they have discretion and MAY grant you a permit. I highly suggest that you apply via the police chief under 11-47-11 where they SHALL grant you a permit:
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-11.HTM
§ 11-47-11 License or permit to carry concealed pistol or revolver. – (a) The licensing authorities of any city or town shall, upon application of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence or place of business within the city or town, or of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States, issue a license or permit to the person to carry concealed upon his or her person a pistol or revolver everywhere within this state for four (4) years from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear an injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver, and that he or she is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license or permit shall be in triplicate in form to be prescribed by the attorney general and shall bear the fingerprint, photograph, name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license or permit and in no case shall it contain the serial number of any firearm. The original shall be delivered to the licensee. Any member of the licensing authority, its agents, servants, and employees shall be immune from suit in any action, civil or criminal, based upon any official act or decision, performed or made in good faith in issuing a license or permit under this chapter.

Hi chsonnu,

RIMike and Rob covered it well. You can apply for a RI non-resident either through the AG's office (may issue), or any city or town (shall issue). In practice, there are only a few towns that are known to accept non-resident applications. I realize the statute states that they must, but it really hasn't been challenged in court yet.

As with most gun rights, you really don't have any until someone spends multi-thousand $$$ to air it out in the judicial system.

A link to the RI Firearms Statute if you want to study up:
CHAPTER 11-47 Weapons

Since you have a non-resident permit you can apply in any town in RI under 11-47-11.
According to this guy the process wasn't too bad:
[I've received my permit from the City of Providence.
They had the application
in hand on September 9th.
I had the permit in hand on October
28th.

Total time was about seven weeks.
It would have been faster if
my schedule had allowed.

Sergeant Tejada is very pleasant and helpful./QUOTE]

http://rifol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=252&start=20

Since you have a non-resident permit you can apply in any town in RI under 11-47-11.
According to this guy the process wasn't too bad:
I've received my permit from the City of Providence.
They had the application
in hand on September 9th.
I had the permit in hand on October
28th.

Total time was about seven weeks.
It would have been faster if
my schedule had allowed.

Sergeant Tejada is very pleasant and helpful.

http://rifol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=252&start=20

URL Failure - requires that you create an account before you can read anything there!

In practice, there are only a few towns that are known to accept non-resident applications.

And on top of that people that get/know these towns don't share them because they don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. [laugh] Can't blame them, though.

-Mike

Looks like that part of the forum is open to only members, but I posted the relevant post anyway.

I don't know which towns do and which ones don't accept non-resident applications. However, like I have said before, this is irrelevant since the law allows anyone to apply. One of the requirements (RIGL 11-47-11) to be issued a license for non-residents is that they have to have a permit from their home state. If a licensing authority is refusing to accept an application, question them on their reasoning/legality of this and under what authority they are ignoring RI Law. If someone needs help with a specific town, you can PM me.
This issue is very similar to what residents have been facing for years in Rhode Island: Chiefs not accepting applications or not even having applications. However, a lot of people did not take NO for an answer and pressed the issue and as a result every town now have applications and most towns have issued permits. There have been some lawsuits, but more people have been able to get the first permit in their town without a lawyer than there are people who used a lawyer to accomplish the same. Those who are willing to put in a little effort and press the issue and don't take NO for an answer are usually successful.
If anyone here would like to apply under RIGL 11-47-11, don't call the PD and ask if they accept non-residents applications since they will most likely say no. If you don't even apply, then you are not aggrieved. Simply contact them and request an application via mail, or email. Some require that you come and pick it up which is an inconvenience (they are good at that). Then submit the application (certified with return receipt).
If there are enough people on this forum who would like a RI permit, but don't want to press the issue themselves, maybe Comm2A would consider a lawsuit in RI Superior Court requesting a Mandamus against a Chief who is refusing to accept/process applications. This issue has been in the Courts before, so it should not be too expensive. However, before this can happen, someone needs to be aggrieved.

Back
Top Bottom