• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass premium charge for AR pistols?

I was unaware that anyone used AR pistols without a suppressor attached....making a 10.5” barrel plus can similar length to carbine.

The ad is for south shore MA so likely someone who does not even know they have an assault weapon in their safe... That someone in MA is advertising it all is surprising.

Fixed mag is the only solution to sell as a pistol though a dealer has to break it apart since it is not on the roster. The other way for an inmate of MA to own this is to SBR it. Once you have the tax stamp and engrave you just have address the AWB features for a rifle which is a lot easier than for a pistol

No, you cannot mangle it to get it under 50oz as a pistol. The language in the AWB is "a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded" so modifications after don't help unless done by a 07 FFL who marks the weapon (engraves business name/location)
IF we are going by the black letter of the law in the Commonwealth, isn't an SBR sort of a no-man's land in terms of the AWB? It doesn't meet the characteristics of a "firearm" (Pistol) because it is designed to be fired from the shoulder, but it doesn't meet the characteristics of a rifle due to the barrel being less than 16 inches?

For that matter, it would seem that lever action / bolt action / pump action rifles are not actually rifles either.

''Rifle'', a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

Pre-94 $3499 option 🤔
Or a pair with consecutive serial numbers?

You can't get it transferred in MA because its not on the approved handgun roster. It doesn't matter that its pre-94 because its a pistol. And if you go through an 07 to do a frame transfer, now you're building an illegal 'assault pistol' when you assemble it because its no longer a pistol once he makes it into a frame and transfers it to you so its post-ban. It has to have been in MA prior to the ban to be transferable in MA.

I just went through this exercise recently when I found a pre-ban AR pistol out of state for under a grand 😢

And if you go through an 07 to do a frame transfer, now you're building an illegal 'assault pistol' when you assemble it because its no longer a pistol once he makes it into a frame and transfers it to you so its post-ban. I

Lol under the original AWB receivers did not "shed" AW status as a result of being devolved, as long as they were in ban config on 9/13/94... How is mass different?

Sounds like EOPS "dictat" to me... lol. Then again im probably wrong/out of touch here, because I've never chased old junk like that.

I was unaware that anyone used AR pistols without a suppressor attached....making a 10.5” barrel plus can similar length to carbine.

5.56 caliber, 10.5" barrel, linear comp, red dot & arm brace on an unserialized lower.
PISTOL.
Legal in Georgia, legal to transport into SC and FL, (my closest states).

Not NFA, no paperwork.
Legal.

Lol under the original AWB receivers did not "shed" AW status as a result of being devolved, as long as they were in ban config on 9/13/94... How is mass different?

Sounds like EOPS "dictat" to me... lol.
I agree with you. I've never seen any law or regulation that said differently. If you believe this allegation and you take it literally, once you take it apart to clean it, you're committing a felony when you re-assemble it after cleaning.

At this point, I just don't see how or why anyone is following the convoluted garbage laws that A.) Police have no idea what's legal, B.) Prosecutors have no idea what's legal, and C.) Judges have no idea what's legal, because the law is a miasma of gobbledeegook and incomprehensible garbage. A good firearms law attorney can present the most clear cut case, and a prosecutor can cite some garbage about a Pistol purchase permit or whatever nonsense and the judge buys it. WHY BOTHER TRYING? It doesn't matter. You're going to get jacked if they want you jacked.

Do I infer correctly that if you register an SBR and mark the barrel you can put any other barrel, including a different short barrel, on that receiver?
And that the reason to mark the barrel and not the frame is to make it easier to sell? (And keep it pretty)
So this is getting into the weeds...

What that guy is saying is that the serialized receiver is what is registered as being the SBR/SBS, but when you do a Form 1 and engrave your name as the "maker", that additional marking can go on the barrel. Furthermore, when you possess multiple short barrels for use on the registered receiver, you only need engraving on the first one, as long as you bring that engraved barrel along anytime you are using the other short barrels.

Would I rely on this interpretation? No. All my form-1 SBRs have the trust name engraved on the receiver near the serial number.

Back
Top Bottom