Mass Police Chiefs Outraged They Can't Control FID's like LTC's

That little snippet of the article would already be bad enough if it was true, but it isn't. Towns that deny will deny everyone, not just those who have had "numerous calls". The article fails to mention that.

I know of no town that "denys everyone", except for LTC-A/unrestricted.

The danger is not towns doing blanket denials, but towns like Brookline that view the licensing process as a scavenger hunt to deny, and will deny if they find anything they can use as an excuse, even if the reason does not reasonably indicate that the applicant will pose a danger to himself or others. Another issue due process, using things like charges for which there was a dismissal or finding of "not guilty" as the basis to deny a protected right.

Last edited:
Same mass police chiefs that cried about reducing the 2 yr penalty for unsuitability to 1 yr ? F them.

That little snippet of the article would already be bad enough if it was true, but it isn't. Towns that deny will deny everyone, not just those who have had "numerous calls". The article fails to mention that.
A politically-motivated and ambitious police chief could also "make history" by completely disarming his or her city or town, with the exception of LEOs, of course. See...it is for the children! There will be no more accidental shootings, kids taking guns to school, domestic violence ending in a fatal shooting in MY jurisdiction. We have perfect gun control now; a complete ban on civilian possession of firearms! Our city/town is now perfectly safe! Chiefs, especially those in cities like Boston and Worcester, would be salivating like Pavlov's dog for the chance to do exactly that. If overruled in state court (highly unlikely, since judges tend to side with the decisions of police chiefs), the chief could then say that any civilian blood shed in future shootings are on the hands of the judge, the chief did what he/she saw fit, etc. Far-fetched? Maybe, but if FIDs also become "may issue", not beyond the realm of possibility.

The danger is not towns doing blanked denials, but towns like Brookline that view the licensing process as a scavenger hunt to deny, and will deny if they find anything they can use as an excuse, even if the reason does not reasonably indicate that the applicant will pose a danger to himself or others. Another issue due process, using things like charges for which there was a dismissal or finding of "not guilty" as the basis to deny a protected right.

This happened to a friend of mine in Worcester. A person of color that was walking home from high school about 5 years ago. Call some not so racially friendly names. He beats one into the pavement and the other pills a knife. He leaves and the knife wielder calls cops to cya. He gets arrested for assault since the tough guy that gets beat into pavement is now an upstanding citizen. Guy with knife never shows up for court buddy denies he had knife. Charges dismissed. Denied Ltc by that pos gemme over this.
This kid is no slouch-masters degree and works as an investigator. The Feds think he is fit but the police chief does not. That's great he has discretionary power. Now he has to wait a whole year to file for an fid. sound like a fair process to me-not

Call some not so racially friendly names. He beats one into the pavement and the other pills a knife.
What is really needed for a case is someone who is "factually innocent" (ie, proof exists the subject was not guilty); not someone who appears in all likelihood guilty of assault. Using someone like this as a test case is the type of thing that is a setup for bad case law.

Can you explain why he has to wait a year to file for an FID?

What is really needed for a case is someone who is "factually innocent" (ie, proof exists the subject was not guilty); not someone who appears in all likelihood guilty of assault. Using someone like this as a test case is the type of thing that is a setup for bad case law.

Can you explain why he has to wait a year to file for an FID?

According to him he was told there that after a denial you have to wait a year. He had to wait 9 months just to drop application off. Has three gun safety courses. Once he settles in to new community he will apply agin. If he gets denied, he will be going to court. Seriously this is the type of guy you want for a neighbor hard working, professional, well spoken, and just a nice all around person. Apparently Worcester police department thinks he should of been assaulted and stabbed while being called a nigg@r. Blame the victim. He has a very high level security clears ce too. So this is what chiefs discretion will be about-denial plain and simple. F them

The danger is not towns doing blanket denials, but towns like Brookline that view the licensing process as a scavenger hunt to deny, and will deny if they find anything they can use as an excuse, even if the reason does not reasonably indicate that the applicant will pose a danger to himself or others. Another issue due process, using things like charges for which there was a dismissal or finding of "not guilty" as the basis to deny a protected right.

Exhibit A...
Soldier takes shot at gun rules

By Rick Holland/ Staff Writer
Thursday, February 3, 2005

It was the faces of three disillusioned and angry residents that told a story in the lobby of Brookline District Court earlier this week.

There was Kang Lu, a Chinese-born U.S. Army second lieutenant and future military doctor, dressed in uniform, hoping, finally, for redemption in the form of a restored license to carry firearms. Next to him was longtime resident Yat Lau, also Chinese-born, who was similarly rejected in his bid to renew a license to carry a permit that was first issued to him four years ago in Newton.

Case postponed

The entire matter was postponed, however, as the judge set to hear the case "called in sick," according to O'Leary. The hearing was postponed to Feb. 15, a move that irritated Lu's lawyer, Framingham-based Jesse Cohen.

According to Police Department records, only 32 gun licenses that allow owners to carry and conceal firearms were granted in 2004, after 72 such permits were granted in 2003. O'Leary could not be reached to comment on reasons for the sharp drop in licenses.

But Lau (whose case was settled in 2004) believes he and others had been victimized by police.

"I feel like I've been targeted," said Lau, whose gun license was unceremoniously stripped in a visit Brookline Police Sgt. Michael Raskin made to Lau's workplace to confiscate a firearm kept at work in a safe. "I felt [Raskin] treated me like a criminal," Lau said.

Broke library "rule"

According a June 2003 letter from the police department, the decision to revoke Kang Lu's gun license was based on a series of four unrelated reasons.

The first was a bizarre incident at the Coolidge Corner Library during which Lu, a regular visitor to the library, said he preferred to study there in the brightest part of the building. "I like it well lit," he said.

But on a weekday afternoon in June 2002, Lu said a library staff member approached him and said he had to leave his study table because he was told it was in the "children's section." He noted that no children were in that section of the library, but was told to leave the area anyway.

"I told the librarian 'If you believe I'm violating a law, call the police and see what they say.'"

A short time later, police arrived at the library, and Lu said officers told him that he was violating library policy and could be cited for trespassing if he did not clear the area. Lu then agreed to leave the children's section and the matter ended with no arrests and no other consequences, or so Lu thought.

In a June 24, 2003, letter to Lu from O'Leary, however, "the facts surrounding the incident you were involved in at the Coolidge Corner Library" was listed as the first among the reasons why Lu's license to carry was pulled.

The other reasons included what police allege were: "false statements" made on Lu's license application to Sgt. Raskin and other Brookline Police officers; "noise complaints in [Lu's] building;" and his "seeking counseling for psychological problems in April of 2003."

But the "false statements," Lu said, weren't false at all. One allegation had to do with his characterizing his occupation as an "active duty" officer in the U.S. Army. Raskin later concluded that Lu was an Army reservist, which he considered a "false statement." But an Army official was prepared to testify in court on Tuesday that Lu was considered to have active scholarship status in the Army as a medical student.

As for noise complaints, Lu said the accusation was preposterous. "There are at least 100 people who live in my building, and most of the time I'm out studying so I'm not there anyway."

In the instance of his seeking psychological counseling, Lu said Brookline Police had asked him if he had engaged in any therapy in the past. He told police about one visit he made in April 2003, the subject of which to discuss the stress of medical school. Having divulged information about the one therapy session, the police then used Lu's admission against him, citing it in the decision to revoke his license to carry.

"I've dealt with perhaps 50 police departments in the area on [gun ownership] issues, but I've never encountered the abuse of authority I've seen in Brookline," said Cohen.

Soft-spoken, respectful and articulate, Lu, who graduated from collegesumma cum laude and will finish medical school at Boston University in three months, has nevertheless demonstrated the iron will of a soldier in his vow to press legal action against O'Leary, who has final say on gun license decisions in town.

Lu is not seeking any monetary gain from the court, and he recognizes that the issue in Brookline may soon be rendered moot, as his military orders will have him shipping out to a Tacoma, Wash., medical battalion in May.

But Lu is nothing if not principled.

"I wasn't going to lay down and take this. I want the truth to be known. I want the police to realize that they can't do this with impunity," Lu said

http://massbackwards.blogspot.com/2005/02/if-this-doesnt-piss-you-off.html

I wonder if they even stop to consider the law of unintended consequences.

How many new LTC and FID applicants will his "nobody in Boston needs a rifle or shotgun" statement generate, state-wide?

Most free people don't take kindly to being told what they do or do not "need."

FYI for years one of Haverhill's former chief's wouldn't even give out the application.
His mantra was "I don't give permits, if you want it, see you in court.

NRA-ILA picked it up too, just got the quote/vid it in an email from them. Let's keep the heat turned up.
Nice! Keep the heat going!

I am fuming and I live in a green town.

I hope people realize that our rights are slowly diminishing. Look at NY, CT, NJ than Mass?

I am glad this weasel is getting exposed. Hopefully there is more we will see.

Cradle of Liberty, indeed.

Liberty, like all the other words in the Constitution has changed meanings. You see it's a living, breathing word. Liberty now means you have a right to free healthcare (unless you're a white male), a right to free cell phones (unless you're a white male), a right to free food (unless you're a white male), a right to free housing (unless you're a white male). There's no need for a right to self defense with such an awesome government that cares for your every need.

"It’s all about public safety."

- Wayne Sampson, executive director, Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association

The only thing worse than a political thug out to destroy liberty is the same with a smug sense of purpose -- the kind of guy who burns your house down and smiles while telling you he is protecting you from a chance of termite damage.

I can't tell if these people are pathological liars and sociopaths, stupid, unaware of the value of individual liberty, or simply evil. I stopped caring about their motives years ago.

When the average American begins to understand they have more in common with criminals and the oppressed minorities than with the police and the politically powerful then we might have a chance at fixing this country. As it is, the big government liberals along with law-and-order conservatives are a massive effective majority for government power and control.

I shared the article about the commissioner on my facebook and got some good feedback from people I never expected to support the 2a, not even gun owners. But then again, I generally acquaint myself with moderately intelligent folk

Liberty, like all the other words in the Constitution has changed meanings. You see it's a living, breathing word. Liberty now means you have a right to free healthcare (unless you're a white male), a right to free cell phones (unless you're a white male), a right to free food (unless you're a white male), a right to free housing (unless you're a white male). There's no need for a right to self defense with such an awesome government that cares for your every need.

Okay, Reverend Jesse

The only thing worse than a political thug out to destroy liberty is the same with a smug sense of purpose -- the kind of guy who burns your house down and smiles while telling you he is protecting you from a chance of termite damage.

I can't tell if these people are pathological liars and sociopaths, stupid, unaware of the value of individual liberty, or simply evil. I stopped caring about their motives years ago.

When the average American begins to understand they have more in common with criminals and the oppressed minorities than with the police and the politically powerful then we might have a chance at fixing this country. As it is, the big government liberals along with law-and-order conservatives are a massive effective majority for government power and control.

Three VERY well said paragraphs!

Keep calling your reps and send them mr's you don't need a shotgun or rifle in Boston's quotes. Wanna get on the soap box with your uniform then eat your own words.

Commisioner Evans Picture,.......... ( I cant post a picture, maybe someone else can)

(Banjo boy from the original Deliverance?

Last edited:
I know this topic doesn't affect me in the least, but this seems to be about "power". It has nothing to do with safety, my state
Washington has state wide laws for CCW permits, if you meet the quals you get the permit. There no town ,city, county fiefdoms
to deal with ,just one set of state wide laws. Your Chiefs are unwilling to give up the "POWER" over the people in their jurisdictions.

..........................Jack

Has anyone else noticed an uptick on facebook when it comes to posts/reposts complaining about cops? Dogs getting shot, beatings, police shootings in Albuquerque in the last couple of years, attempts to prevent filming, memes about the military giving small town PD's vehicles with gun turrets and anti IED armor... from what I've seen there's been an awful more over the last year than I've ever seen. Now these pricks are not only complaining that they aren't being given the power over deciding our rights but this weasally looking cockpolisher Evans is also blatantly saying we have no "need"? Way to alienate the fudd's in a day and age where I can't go a day without seeing a video of cop violating someone's rights or something tagged ACAB on my facebook feed. Here that cash register sound? That's the sound of someone breaking down and buying an AR to put next to his trap gun and hunting shottys, all thanks to you Chief Evans. Welcome to NES, my flannel clad brethren! There's plenty of room at our BOL in... uh... *foil hat starts buzzing furiously*... on second thought, maybe you should do some research and start stockpiling.

Commisioner Evans Picture,...
south-park-timmy-290x400.jpg

Was this it?
White Feather

Want to have some fun? File a FOIA Request with the Town Administrator, Town or City Manager, Or whomever is in that type of position asking for a report of how much the town on behalf of the police chief spends for "profession organizations" in regards to membership, travel and work hours away from the municipality, to attend those functions and a copy of the attendance roster for all seminars attended, and the minutes of the meetings.

Then for next Town meeting and Budget season file a warrant article prohibiting the expending of any town or city money for those functions.
So true. Sometimes, the best way to get their attention is to hit them in the wallet!

When you look at the big picture it all makes sense.

The Joyce Foundation, once directed by Obama and mostly funded by George Soros has David Hemenway on the payroll to push the anti 2A agenda, also makes donations to the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

Hemenway gets named to DeLeo's "gun violence" committee

Committee files report recommending suitability is added to FID issuance, it pretty much becomes DeLeo's bill

At public hearing Hemenway and Jack McDevitt, the head of the Committee are asked what evidence they have that adding suitability is needed. Answer was "none".

House passed bill with suitability

Senate amends it out, passes their bill.

Antis lose their minds.

Chief's Association stands with major anti 2A groups inside state house, demands suitability be put back. Anti 2A media goes into full spin mode.

Bill gets sent to committee.

We await report from committee.

The upside is that the chiefs have outed themselves as to what their real intentions are and it has nothing to do with public safety. Especially when you consider that they are simultaneously pushing to have LEO's made 'above the law' in terms of what they can own/possess.

Back
Top Bottom