Mass Pellet Gun Restrictions?

ontrgt808

NES Member
Was looking to buy a pellet gun for my kids and I to do general plinking around the yard without having to go to a range. But when I looked online, like Amazon, many of the suppliers would not ship to Mass? Are there any restrictions on pellet guns I am ignorant to? Or is it just because I reside in the Commonwealth? Can't find anything in the MGL.

Was looking to buy a pellet gun for my kids and I to do general plinking around the yard without having to go to a range …Can't find anything in the MGL.
Massachusetts does have some restrictions on airgun sales and possession (MGL 269, § 12A.B). That said, last I checked Pyramyd Air ships.

MA is also home to two dedicated air gun retailers, one in Stoneham and another in Hudson. Both are heavily invested in PCP and big bore, but also have the little affordable "recreational" pellet guns, though carry few if any of the cheapest chinesium guns like you'd find at WalMart.

Last edited:
Was looking to buy a pellet gun for my kids and I to do general plinking around the yard without having to go to a range. But when I looked online, like Amazon, many of the suppliers would not ship to Mass? Are there any restrictions on pellet guns I am ignorant to? Or is it just because I reside in the Commonwealth? Can't find anything in the MGL.
Various cities/towns in MA have restrictions on them through ordinances. There are several airsoft stores in the state that will sell to you in person.

Amazon has all the money in the world for legal console
They did the math on if it is worth excluding MA from things like knives and pellet guns vs making the money on sales
The math sided with excluding

Says more about MA over Amazon (even as someone who doesn't buy from Amazon anymore)

I had purchased .177 pellets from amazon in the past. circa 2017. Whats interesting, is it seems amazon has deleted the order history on those orders. I could have gotten it from airgun depot, but if it was amazon, they also deleted the purchase of the Sig MCX air rifle as well.

I had purchased .177 pellets from amazon in the past. circa 2017. Whats interesting, is it seems amazon has deleted the order history on those orders. I could have gotten it from airgun depot, but if it was amazon, they also deleted the purchase of the Sig MCX air rifle as well.

1660152703156.png

I have the same Amazon problem in RI. Airguns of Arizona shipped directly to me. Fast and superb packaging. Good selection.

According to RI law, pellet guns are considered firearms:

§ 11-47-2 Definitions. – When used in this chapter, the following words and phrases are construed as follows:

(3) “Firearm” includes any machine gun, pistol, rifle, air rifle, air pistol, “blank gun,” “BB gun,” or other instrument from which steel or metal projectiles are propelled, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile...

Frank

I use the recommend Pyramyd air as mentioned above. Decent pricing and a great variety. I have a lot of replica air guns that match a number of my actuals and my go to is Pyramyd. As for using them in your yard, you need to look up your towns ordinances. Some correspond to the 500 ft from a dwelling, not across roadway stuff like a regular firearm.

JETA: You may want to be sure you buy a pellet version and not BB's. The latter have a tendency to ricochet as in "you'll shoot your eye out kid" or your neighbors windows.

I contacted Amazon about why they wouldn't ship a pellet gun to Mass a year or so ago. Their reply was that there is a Mass law that says it's illegal to shoot across a street, so they will not ship to Mass. My inquiry about shooting an arrow across the street did not earn a reply.

Going back to when my son was 16. He had an FID card.

We were at Dick's Sporting Goods and he asked to see an air rifle. They declined to show it to him because he's under 18. But he has an FID card? Doesn't matter. If he had a "Sporting License" apparently he could possess one.

I asked the chief of police here in our town about a Sporting License. He asked me what the hell that was? I told him the story and he had not ever heard of that license. He knew my son and that my son had an FID card and said in his mind my son was GTG.

Things may have changed but that was the deal back then.

We were at Dick's Sporting Goods and he asked to see an air rifle. They declined to show it to him because he's under 18. But he has an FID card? Doesn't matter. If he had a "Sporting License" apparently he could possess one.

I asked the chief of police here in our town about a Sporting License. He asked me what the hell that was? I told him the story and he had not ever heard of that license. He knew my son and that my son had an FID card and said in his mind my son was GTG.

There's a reason they don't call them Richards.

I contacted Amazon about why they wouldn't ship a pellet gun to Mass a year or so ago. Their reply was that there is a Mass law that says it's illegal to shoot across a street, so they will not ship to Mass. My inquiry about shooting an arrow across the street did not earn a reply.
That's pure Bullshit! And I'll bet most states have laws that prohibit someone from shooting across a street . . . that is a legit public safety issue.

That's the way the dumbass legistraitors wrote the law. However, children are exempt on their own property or in the presence of an adult . . . that's also in the law.

K'Mart in Hyannis wouldn't sell me one when I was 14/15ish with an FID.

This was forever ago. Had to wait until I was 16 because Mom didn't have an FID and Dad who had one of those indefinite FIDs(which aren't indef anymore) was always at work.

Amazon also won't ship pocket knives, slingshots, or ball bearings that look like they might hurt.

My understanding is, they say: "There's no way to verify a person's age when it's delivered"

Obviously this is bull shit and the AG just asked nicely.
I had just searched a couple new knives on Amazon last week and was wondering what the issue was with shipping.

AG must have done something, because it’s definitely not illegal at all. You can totally have a .50cal air gun that makes 400 ft/lbs just shipped right to your door.

Air guns are actually awesome. They are legally not firearms in most of the USA (except NJ I think?) so you are free to do a few things with them that you can not do with a powederburner, such as zapping pest animals out your window in a suburban location.

You can also quiet them in the USA without dealing with the NFA last I checked. Seems to exist in a similar legal area as pistol braces, except much less of an issue since no1 really cares about air guns. A lot of them are sold with barrel shrouds that contain baffles right from the factory, which is probably a better idea than having a screw-on can in the same home as your powder burners.

Would love to get an FX wildcat, personally, it’s just an expensive hobby. Everything except pellets is really pricey once you get into PCP rifles.

Back
Top Bottom