• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Open carry

Forgive me if this is a repeat but I couldnyt find the answer I was looking for. I HAVE A CLASS A with target and hunting restrictions. I also camp and hike quite a bit in mass. Am I in violaton of my license if I open carry while in the woods? It just seems assanine to not be able to protect my self and boys from charging animals.

I don't believe that there is any law AGAINST open carry where you can legally carry in MA. Just be prepared for someone to call the police and have the police try to charge you with creating public disturbance or menacing or brandishing.... etc. and an attempt to take your license.

Not worth it in imo.

on edit - consult a legal authority just to be sure

http://forum.shiresociety.com/the-shire-society/open-carry-in-ma/

Last edited:
The answer is in the restriction the officer put on your LTC......restricted to target and hunting. If you are strolling through the woods with your boys what are you hunting? Where are the targets you are supposedly shooting? You can hunt certain species with a hand gun (bear for instance) in Mass but is it bear season? Do you even have a hunting license to hunt bear? See what I'm saying......your licensing officer screwed you with that restriction.....it is up to way too many interpetations if you are in the woods with a hand gun.

There is no law against open carry in MA, however the reason no one does it is because you will most likely have your LTC pulled if you do.
In your case, the Target and Hunting restriction limit you to trips to the range and hunting. You can't carry a firearm while hiking with your kids with those restrictions, open or concealed.
Because you are licensed, it is less of an offense, but yes, you are in violation of your license if you carry.
Yes it is assanine that you can't. The whole commonwealth is messed up. There are about four good things about this state and two of them are Kelly's Roast Beef.

Unfortunately Salem Is very red when it come to LTC unrestricted

- - - Updated - - -

There is no law against open carry in MA, however the reason no one does it is because you will most likely have your LTC pulled if you do.
In your case, the Target and Hunting restriction limit you to trips to the range and hunting. You can't carry a firearm while hiking with your kids with those restrictions, open or concealed.
Because you are licensed, it is less of an offense, but yes, you are in violation of your license if you carry.
Yes it is assanine that you can't. The whole commonwealth is messed up. There are about four good things about this state and two of them are Kelly's Roast Beef.

MMM ... Kellys superbeef with sauce. now I'm hungry

Back
Top Bottom