• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

mass nonresidents shooting in mass

IIRC, you would need a MA Non-Res Hunting Permit for Hunting, and for a match, a flyer that shows that you're in the state that current day with your firearms for said match.

But I wouldn't come with a few race guns and no camo, show the officer your hunting license and say that's what you're doing. [wink]

What if it was shooting with some friends competitively at a local club? Could you show the officer the clubs schedule where it says Sunday skeet and trap shooting?

From my understanding, no. It has to be a sanctified competition. Weekly shoots, such as trap and skeet, do not, I believe, qualify.

Darius? Scriv?

Please do some research here, use Advanced Search in the Gun Laws forum and in the Training forum (I think there is a Sticky there).

We've addressed this a number of times and the correct answers aren't quick and simple.

Here's the short version:

Informal shooting is a NO! Not unless you have a MA NR LTC.

ANY match with documentation to prove same and you don't need a MA NR LTC.

Hunting - you need a MA NR Hunting license, and then ONLY those guns suitable for hunting that animal in that district during hunting season.

No post-9/13/94 hi-cap mags or so-called AW (again post-9/13.94) allowed in MA for any reason other than LEO with duty guns.

From my understanding, no. It has to be a sanctified competition. Weekly shoots, such as trap and skeet, do not, I believe, qualify.

Darius? Scriv?

"Sanctified competition" - Do you get this designation from your local house of worship?

Attendance at a match qualifies, but you must hold a license form a state, district or territoryt hat does not issue licenses to drug users or felons. Unlike the similar NY law, the MA law does not specify the level or form of match recognition (NY requires NRAor IMHSA), nor does MA law specify the size of the window surrouding the actual match (NY is +/- 48 hours). As it typical of MA gun laws, the details are left subject to interpretation and, in a case like this, there is very little precedent to case law to establish the actual boundaries.

What if I live in a state where licenses to own and/or posses firearms do not exist?

You are out of luck, unless you go the route of obtaining a non-resident MA LTC.

By way of example, folks from Vermont cannot qualify under the so-called "formal target shooting" exception because Vermont neither offers nor requires an LTC or other CCW license.

Back
Top Bottom