• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Non-Resident permit advice

I recently moved out of Mass, sent the appropriate change of address notifications and now want to apply for a non-resident permit.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on answering the “reason” for unrestricted permit to give myself the best change of obtaining an unrestricted permit.

Thanks

Mentioning that "you've held an unrestricted A in MA town X for Y years " is likely helpful.... or so I've heard.

-Mike

I am in the process of getting my LTC, and take my advice with a grain of salt. Others can and probably will explain it better.

Did you have an Unrestricted before? If so, whatever you said beforehand, explain that while your location has changed your needs have not.

First time I applied they asked me to elaborate on the reasons. All lawful purposes wasn't enough.
Still work in Ma, still have friends and family in Ma and spend a significant amount of time in the state.
Haven't asked since and I keep filling out all lawful purposes on the renewals.

Mentioning that "you've held an unrestricted A in MA town X for Y years " is likely helpful.... or so I've heard.

-Mike
It seems like perhaps something has changed in FRB. I'm unsure and I haven't spoken/Emailed Michaela in >1 year now, so I don't know what is going on there. Eventually I'll have to face that music too.

I recently moved out of Mass and contemplated applying for a non-resident LTC but the thought of spending $100 a YEAR is what is stopping me. No thanks. I've given enough money to the Commonwealth.

Thank you for the replies
Unfortunately I was in a city that gave me a restricted license, my previous Mass license won’t help much.

I am hoping to get unrestricted since I work in Mass and spent quite a bit of time in Mass.

I’d hate to be carrying then before I hit the state line unload and lock the pistol in the trunk.

An older NES thread suggests not to mention anything about hunting or competition because that will give the FRB an excuse to give you a restricted license. There are also some comments in the thread about what to say.

Ma non-resident unrestricted LTC?

This is (almost) 100% correct. My first two were “sporting”, because I wrote ONLY about all the outdoor activities and competition I did, and did not connect them to a larger picture. My statements were essentially the FRB sporting restriction text in multi-paragraph format.

Of note, I also mentioned on those same applications that I had held a resident unrestricted for 6 years and had just been renewed. No effect.

Ok, so how about "protection of life and property" which I used in MA before "All Lawful purposes" came along ? Any other suggestions ?

Those are not specific reasons.

They will want "Specific" reasons, as for example:

Do you carry large amounts of cash or valuables for work or other reasons, or transport cash/valuables regularly, etc.?

Does your line of work or past life situations make it necessary to protect yourself?

Does your line of work place you at locations, towns, establishments that might be dangerous?

Does your line of work place you as a sole individual, in a capacity as a night watchman or similar position?

(however, be careful about the work aspect as they can put "work carry only" restrictions
On your NR LTC).

Has someone threatened you or do you have restraining orders on people that have threatened you?

Are you in fear of your life because of ....."fill in the reason" ?

Etc. Etc. Etc. = again, the point is = give "specific reason(s)"

Last edited:
It seems like perhaps something has changed in FRB. I'm unsure and I haven't spoken/Emailed Michaela in >1 year now, so I don't know what is going on there. Eventually I'll have to face that music too.
You have LEOSA. Lucky you. Most gun owners don't have that luxury. You don't need a permit in any state. For example, you can walk down Waikiki Beach with your surfboard under your arm and your loaded piece in your beach bag perfectly legally and thumb your nose at Hawaii's notoriously strict laws against concealed firearms.

Back
Top Bottom