• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Non-Licensed person inheriting from NH Resident?

A friend of mine's father who lives in NH passed away and had a gun collection. They are dividing up the collection and he gets 4 rifles and 2 handguns. He lives in Mass an does not have a FID. Does he have to go through a FFL? Does he need a FID right away or can he get one afterward? His son has a FID, is that any help or is that a shill purchase?

FIDs are useless, he can't possess any handguns with them and most rifles either.

He needs to get his LTC before he can take possession.

If the guns are willed to him, the executor of the estate can personally give him the guns (assuming he's licensed to possess them) with NO FFLs involved. He just does FA-10 Registration (description of gun, and his info, NO info on source of the guns) within 7 days of receiving the guns in MA.

If he were to involve an FFL, any handguns that aren't on EOPS List would be "dead in the water" and can't be transfered to him (unless they fit the grandfather clause of being in MA on/before 10/21/1998). Fed and State law allow direct inheritance with no FFL involvement.

I just went through this relatively recently. It's very simply and is exactly what LenS has outlined. Fortunately, I already had a LTC so it made the procedure very simple. I simply took possession from the executor and brought them back. Filled out the FA-10's and was done with it. There were two handguns that were not on the EOPS and would have been impossible to transfer via FFL. When I retire and leave MA I intend to sell them to MA residents at non-MA prices because they were windfalls to me and I can easily purchase them where I will be retiring, Spread a little joy in the Commonwealth on my way out. I'm actually thinking about doing a Karma to a NES member on one of them (bet there will be a few responses to that Karma thread)

In the OP's example, can the unlicensed MA resident take possession of the firearms in NH, and store them(probably at another relative's house) there until he has a valid MA LTC? Of course not bringing them into MA during this time.

I assume that MA laws only apply when possession occurs in MA. Simply owning the guns and storing them in a State where his possession is legal is not breaking any laws.

Similar situation to the person who moves into MA and leaves his firearms outside of MA until licensed.

Yes, the unlicensed MA resident can take possession and store them in a state that requires no license.

When retrieved and brought into MA, they MUST file FA-10 forms as "registration" (only gun description and new owner info).

When you move into MA is the ONLY time you can move the guns in with you and NOT have to file FA-10 forms out . . . so state will never know about those guns. If you wait until you are licensed you MUST register every one of them! NOT a good idea!

If my friend were to get his FID first could he bring in the long arms and register them and then bring in the handguns when he gets his LTC? I am assuming the LTC would take a lot longer and may require some sort of training certificate.

Last edited:
If my friend were to get his FID first could he bring in the long arms and register them and then bring in the handguns when he gets his LTC? I am assuming the LTC would take a lot longer and may require some sort of training certificate.

You need to take a course/get a training certificate for EITHER FID or LTC. Process takes just as long. ONLY the statutory disqualifiers differ. If one is >21 yo and has a clean record, it is foolish to go for an FID when you could get a LTC-A for the same money and hassle.

Back
Top Bottom