mass motion to seal/Expungement Questions for My friend

as the title states a buddy of mine I work with( he asked me to post this) inquired recently about getting his old criminal record expunged. He travels alot like me. The lawyer told him an expungement wouldn't happen but they could file a motion to seal. From which he understood LE would still see your records etc but future potential employers and common folk wouldn't be able to access it. He does possess a mass ltc unrestricted but is not an NES guy. Hence me posting. Lawyer said they could most likely get it sealed because its 25 plus years old and he was never convicted of any of the charges( except one misdemeanor). Had some dismissed and a cwof. This all came about in his mind recently while filling out visa applications to travel to some different countries for work. Some of them ask for any convictions/arrests in your past history etc.
So from what he gathered he would not have to put anything down anymore moving forward if his record was sealed regarding different country visa applications? Obvious he would need to state it when renewing his ltc. Just figured some of you guys would have some good advice?
Oh and they quoted him $1,750.00 to do these in two different courts.( does the seem about right?) Any helpful feedback would be great I could pass along

$1750 isn't bad if it involves hearings in two courts. If the convictions are old enough (over 5 yrs misdemeanor) he can just file a request with the board of probation to seal them. I don't know if it will seal them from view on a visa application. I don't know what access foreign governments have.

In Mass, sealing only hides the records from private employers and landlords.

$1750 isn't bad if it involves hearings in two courts. If the convictions are old enough (over 5 yrs misdemeanor) he can just file a request with the board of probation to seal them. I don't know if it will seal them from view on a visa application. I don't know what access foreign governments have.

In Mass, sealing only hides the records from private employers and landlords.

it did include hearings in both different courts......asking around since posting this i was told you can also file paperwork to seal records on behalf of yourself..not sure if it the court would view that differently than a lawyer representing him

the only conviction was a misdemeanor from over 25 years ago

When I seal records for people, I make sure I get a certified copy of the court docket and whatever else they may have in the file. Once it's sealed, it must be unsealed (by a judge) in order to get a copy.

The form filed with probation is just as effective as a court hearing. In fact, you cannot seal a conviction in a court hearing. It must be done via application to BOP.

You can file a petition to seal by filing a form with the court clerk who will schedule the hearing.
http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/forms/trial/petition-to-seal-record-fillable.pdf
I would also attach an affidavit to the petition explaining the petitioners present employment status, community involvement, never had any interaction with court since initial case, etc. A lawyer can certainly do this. Most of the expense is paying them to sit in court all morning until your case is called.

I did this on my own, I think the price is a little high for something as easy as filing paperwork and going to a hearing.

I did this on my own, I think the price is a little high for something as easy as filing paperwork and going to a hearing.
I did same for my stepson. He has convictions and CWOFs in three different courts. I downloaded the petition to seal, filled it out and had him sign it. We mailed it in and about six weeks later, we received a letter from the Board of Probation, certifying that all BOP/CORI records on him were sealed. I just wish that I could seal my Big Chicken Dinner record, but it did not stop me from getting my FID and has had no impact on my successful career.

Back
Top Bottom