• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Medical Society are flaming anti's

http://www.massmed.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=11310&TEMPLATE=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm
The Massachusetts Medical Society wishes to be recorded in favor of House Bill 1900 and Senate Bill 1335, measures that would strengthen the laws banning the sale of assault weapons. Under the current law, the sale and transfer of assault weapons that were legally owned before September 13, 1994, is still permitted. This legislation would close that loophole and ban the transfer to consumers of all assault weapons.

Looks like I'll be finding a doctor in RI.

Back when John Lee Malvo and whatshisface Muhammad were murdering people in DC, my doctor saw my Riverside pin on my jacket one day and asked me "jokingly" if I'd been down in the DC area recently.

I went up one side of her and down the other for that remark. Now I see the NP in the office. It keeps my BP where it's supposed to be during my visits.

Think next time I see her, I'll tell her that since I don't ask medical advice at the range, she and her colleagues shouldn't be trying to talk about guns since they obviously know nothing about the subject.

Try this retort:

"I see medical malpractice has gone up - have you been operating again?" [lol]

The Mass Medical Society doesn't represent doctors' views here any better than most unions represent their members' views on similar topics unrelated jobs and working conditions. Doctors are just people, which means that there are a lot of totally clueless ones out there. I've never had to seek out doctors who were either gun friendly, or who at least confined themselves to their actual areas of expertise. Most of the stupid comments that you get are just that, not hard core positions. As such, you'll achieve a lot better results by dealing with them reasonably and politely than you will by simply blowing up in their faces. That might make you feel good, but only tends to confirm the negative stereotypes the Brady Bunch so loves to repeat.

Ken

KMaurer said:
Most of the stupid comments that you get are just that, not hard core positions. As such, you'll achieve a lot better results by dealing with them reasonably and politely than you will by simply blowing up in their faces.

Unfortunately, Shelly has a typical liberal mindset when it comes to guns. Decent doctor, but I really didn't appreciate the joke. Just wasn't funny.

I think she appreciates my position a little better now... but I still prefer her NP in the office.

The problem is that groups like this try to posture the gun "issue" as a public health concern, primarily in the urban crime context (read: illegal guns) and as it relates to AD's and kids. Obviously this is preaching to the choir here, but we all know that the real national issues with guns have nothing to do with responsible, licensed gun owners like people here.

FWIW, my father in law is a well known doctor in Boston. Travel is his big thing, and he's been to China more times than I can remember. He always makes a point of visiting one of the ranges that are open to the public where people can shoot everything from full auto AK's to .50 cal heavy weapons. Like every trade group or union, not all the members sign on to every last position the "management" takes in their name.

MMA created the info forms that many doctors use that asks about guns in the house (and not in a positive way)!

But as Ozman stated, that doesn't mean that all doctors "toe that line".

My Oral Surgeon (grew up with guns in PA) and his partner are both hunters and shooters. He's a member at Hanson. I don't have any problems talking to him about my guns! [lol]

The sports med doctor I went to was a member at Sharon F&G with me. Very useful that I could discuss what I could do or not do shooting wrt the torn rotator cuff that I had back in 1992 (that still gives me trouble). Again, no problem discussing guns/shooting with him either.

All the above have offices in Brockton, so if anyone is looking for these type of doctors and want their names, send me a PM.

My Internist is another story, I'm certain although I've never discussed it with him and my Wife and I leave those onerous MMA questions blank. He knows that I worked for the PD for 18 years and that I'm a Constable, so he has to know that I shoot and own guns. If he ever makes an issue of it, I will be up one side of him and down the other!

dwarven1 said:
Back when John Lee Malvo and whatshisface Muhammad were murdering people in DC, my doctor saw my Riverside pin on my jacket one day and asked me "jokingly" if I'd been down in the DC area recently.
So Doc, would you ask you black patients if the've held up a 7-11 recently?

LenS said:

Very true. My optometrist knows exactly why I get two pairs of glasses (one with polycarbonate lenses), and he has no problem with that at all. (Dr Nick Kofos in Marlboro - he takes great care of my eyes.)

dwarven1 said:
LenS said:

Very true. My optometrist knows exactly why I get two pairs of glasses (one with polycarbonate lenses), and he has no problem with that at all. (Dr Nick Kofos in Marlboro - he takes great care of my eyes.)

I forgot about that. My Optician was a member of Sharon F&G years ago. The Optometrist we see had no problem with my bringing my blue gun in to get the special shooting glasses Rx. In fact he said that he wouldn't have had a problem if I had brought in a real gun!

Anytime I've had to fill out one of those "health questionaires" I always leave the "Are there guns in your home?" question blank. No one's ever come back and told me I didn't answer one. And, if asked, I tell them it's none of their business what I do or don't have in my home.

Only my hand surgeon knew I'm a gun owner. I kind of had to ask her when I could go back to shooting since there was a competition coming up after the first surgery and I needed to get some practice in. She never even blinked.

My GIM primary knows, since I asked to have lead levels tested a couple of years back, as do most of the doctors in Opthamology/Optometry. I need to get my prescriptions tweaked from the usual ones in order to be able to see the front sight clearly. Actually, my impression is that the majority of the doctors in the Opthamology/Optometry department are shooters themselves. I've never run into the question on any forms or medical histories, and never got any attitude or funny looks when it's come up from any doctors or nurses.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom