• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

~ Mass man killed in NH hunting accident . . . UPDATE . . .

Sucking up to Derek

Why in the hell would you go out in deer season with no orange on. That's just stupid.

Granted there are a lot more hunters in the woods now than when I as a kid. In the old days a guy used to wear something red like a Woolrich red and black wool hunting coat or hat. What people have taught me over the years was to be sure of your shot and what's behind it, keep your muzzle out of other people's faces, etc. etc.

With the advent of hunters orange wearing, and in most states the law, it is my opinion that people are being conditioned to shoot if they don't in fact see any orange. Again, this is my opinion and I am the worlds best authority on my opinion.

There also seems to be a lot more pressure on people to kill a deer. It must be easy, it looks so easy on all the T.V. shows now. All you have to do is scan the herd and pick out the biggest buck and put a bullet in him. I've seen it all on T.V. so many times.

If you stop to think about it, there are more hunters in the woods in New England during deer season than most major campaigns in WWII. And these guys were only shooting in 2 directions as apposed to the woods where people are shooting in all directions.

I've hunted since I was a little kid in Maine. Now that the woods looks like a pumpkin patch in most places with the hunters orange in New England, I don't hunt here any more. I've hunted a lot more seasons without getting a deer than ones that I did. When a game warden came up and measured the quality of my hunters orange with a swatch that he carried with him, I quit.

Granted there are a lot more hunters in the woods now than when I as a kid. In the old days a guy used to wear something red like a Woolrich red and black wool hunting coat or hat. What people have taught me over the years was to be sure of your shot and what's behind it, keep your muzzle out of other people's faces, etc. etc.

With the advent of hunters orange wearing, and in most states the law, it is my opinion that people are being conditioned to shoot if they don't in fact see any orange. Again, this is my opinion and I am the worlds best authority on my opinion.

There also seems to be a lot more pressure on people to kill a deer. It must be easy, it looks so easy on all the T.V. shows now. All you have to do is scan the herd and pick out the biggest buck and put a bullet in him. I've seen it all on T.V. so many times.

If you stop to think about it, there are more hunters in the woods in New England during deer season than most major campaigns in WWII. And these guys were only shooting in 2 directions as apposed to the woods where people are shooting in all directions.

I've hunted since I was a little kid in Maine. Now that the woods looks like a pumpkin patch in most places with the hunters orange in New England, I don't hunt here any more. I've hunted a lot more seasons without getting a deer than ones that I did. When a game warden came up and measured the quality of my hunters orange with a swatch that he carried with him, I quit.

You've seen a game warden in the woods? Was it in Maine or MA? Just curios cause I've only seen 1 in 16 years of hunting and that was walking a dirt road, I didn't realize they left they're trucks. (this was in Maine)

You've seen a game warden in the woods? Was it in Maine or MA? Just curios cause I've only seen 1 in 16 years of hunting and that was walking a dirt road, I didn't realize they left they're trucks. (this was in Maine)

This was in Mass. I think his name was Sliva.

In Maine one time I was way in the woods between Ashland and Portage. We used to haul a camper about 35 or 40 miles in and hunt out of it. I was walking up out of the woods just about dark one night when a yearling moose walked right up to me. I stood there gawking at him while he gawked at me from about 10 or 15 feet. He went around me and I continued up to the logging road about another 5 minutes. When I got there, there were 2 Maine game wardens sitting in their truck. They asked if I saw anything. I said "you know exactly what I just saw." They both laughed and said, "yup, he just crossed right in front of us and we were waiting here listing for a shot." I'll admit, I thought about it, but decided it just wouldn't be worth it.

There are too many stupid people out there that just want to shoot something.

I know whenever I touch my rifle, that is how I feel... hah!

Back home it's the law to wear orange, even though anyone taking a shot at a hunter isn't making a mistake. Shooting is a lot more clear in NV than it is here. I feel for the guy that got plugged, and for the guy that did the plugging. Orange is an answer, as is better education of hunters, but you can't expect or enforce that without tromping on some fundamental rights - so I see orange as the neccessary evil.

I'm not sure the shooter should do time, I guess it all depends on what the eff he was doing! You don't just start shooting at every shadow. This whole event could be bad for hunters around here. I've already heard some morons talk about writing to their pols to ban hunting.

Well to tell the truth there are a lot LESS hunters in the woods in mass than there where twenty years ago (the mass firearm laws had a devistating effect on hunter population in mass). Add that to the fact that fewer kids are picking up the sport and older hunters are dying off. I have been hunting Mass for 30 years and see fewer and fewer hunters each year.

Also remember that Red and Black Woolrich all the hujnters use to wear , well come to find out if you see it in low light it looks black and thats bad news in bear country.

As for the Hunting accident there is no excuse for not knowing your target Period . My prayers go out to the family.

Well to tell the truth there are a lot LESS hunters in the woods in mass than there where twenty years ago (the mass firearm laws had a devistating effect on hunter population in mass). Add that to the fact that fewer kids are picking up the sport and older hunters are dying off. I have been hunting Mass for 30 years and see fewer and fewer hunters each year.

Also remember that Red and Black Woolrich all the hujnters use to wear , well come to find out if you see it in low light it looks black and thats bad news in bear country.

As for the Hunting accident there is no excuse for not knowing your target Period . My prayers go out to the family.

I've noticed this in Maine too, seems to be fewer hunters every year I'm in the woods, at least where we hunt. Not many people of my generation hunt that I'm aware of anyway.

Oh, and my dad and I are totally red and black woolrich hunters :) with green wool pants. We also wear our orange but we're definitely old school :).

Well to tell the truth there are a lot LESS hunters in the woods in mass than there where twenty years ago (the mass firearm laws had a devistating effect on hunter population in mass).

This is not just the LTC/FID stupidity that's the only issue. The penalties for violating minor hunting regs can be serious and the penalties for firing anywhere near a road or building is devastating. The amount of hunting land has been significantly reduced and the penalties that a small dicked EPO can lay down when he is all dressed up playing cop just aren't worth it.

What is it Terra, You don't consider EPO's to be real cops? If that is the case Maybe you should read the "Statute" that empowers them to do the job. If you still have the opinion that they are not cops then you can go F*** YOURSELF.

Figured that was coming.

Terra, you might want to think it over, EPOs provide a lot of value in protecting a resource that a lot of people would prefer to shit all over. I've also never met one who was a dick. It's a thankless job that can get them killed daily, and it could be a long time if ever before their families would be able to put them in the ground.

Some of you people "Bitch" that you don't see an EPO or Warden in the woods. During upland game that is not a problem walked the fields checking the hunters, Waterfowl season, was in the canoe right near thier blinds dressed like a duck hunter, No violations observed moved on, Mostly watching for late shooters. Now When it comes to deer or turkey season, unless I knew there was a problem person in that area, I respected the persons stand. How would you like someone walk up on your stand snapping everybranch they step on while you are waiting for that big buck or tom turkey? Yeah, I most likely would have my pipe lit as well, as I walked through the woods.

Wasn't "bitching" with what I said, if anything I'd rather more wardens and fewer Staties in Maine especially during deer season, too many fools out their looking to either screw other hunters or mess up property by being disrespectful not to mention the poaching issues. I was just mentioning the fact I legitimately in over a decade of hunting have only seen 1 warden while I was hunting or fishing I have met them when I was not actively hunting/fishing but just at a location where they happened to be.

That and of the wardens I've met none have been jerks, it seems like becoming a warden is what the kid in high school that loved hunting and fishing does when he grows up while (some) LEO's are the kid that either picked on everyone or got picked on and wants revenge. As far as I'm concerned the wardens are good people, some of the laws are garbage but in general I haven't found game wardens to go out of their way enforcing the unreasonable laws but rather making sure everyone is playing nicely.

Last edited:
I left it generic, so as to not single anyone out. I have heard that statement made over the 29+ years that I did that job. Oh, The real bitching started when you did walk up to thier stand, and it was not the one you were looking for, and you just F*** UP his hunt. By walking in thus "BUSTING" the area, for at least the rest of the day.

There is a spot my dad and I hunt that we've had a lot bigger issues than a warden lately, a new guy started hunting the same piece of woods 5ish years ago. Started bringing a pile of his buddies in, asking other hunters their names, what they were doing hunting that piece saying he was buddies with the landowner and keeping an eye on the place for him. Drove off a lot of good guys because they didn't want to deal with him and the half dozen or so cronies he was bringing. My dad and I sit on a logging road on the piece and we expect people to walk in and out it's the main trail to the parking area, well this guy and his crew walk in anywhere from daylight ->daylight + 2 hours, they see us sitting there, wave to us then proceed to walk 10 feet, stop for 30 seconds, walk 10 feet, stop for 30 seconds, repeat until they disappear after 150 yards. We've also had them leave "stands" in the spot we sit in trying I guess to save it for themselves. We've had them come out for lunch and target practice in the parking area 300 or so yards away.

So yeah, I'd much rather have a warden swing by and say hi :) at least wardens are respectful.

that a small dicked EPO can lay down when he is all dressed up playing cop just aren't worth it.
You probably don't know what they do exacty because if you did you would know they got big balls. They work in remote areas alone dealing with anything from drunk hunters to lost kids. I see them in the state parks in the summer dealing with the gangbangers and retards. I respect what they do. BTW that "little dick" comment. You know something the rest of us don't know?

For anyone who may be interested. The state police investigators came to the family the other day saying the shooter was 42ft away when the shot was fired.

Somehow I missed this story first time around, but I just reaad the original post and it really caught my attention - that name sounds VERY familiar. Same age as me, from the same town where I grew up. Can't picture him now, but I'm certain I went to school with a Kenny Brunelle.

Some of you people "Bitch" that you don't see an EPO or Warden in the woods. During upland game that is not a problem walked the fields checking the hunters, Waterfowl season, was in the canoe right near thier blinds dressed like a duck hunter, No violations observed moved on, Mostly watching for late shooters. Now When it comes to deer or turkey season, unless I knew there was a problem person in that area, I respected the persons stand. How would you like someone walk up on your stand snapping everybranch they step on while you are waiting for that big buck or tom turkey? Yeah, I most likely would have my pipe lit as well, as I walked through the woods.

I'm not one to bitch at not seeing an EPO in the woods....I'd be pretty pissed if it messed up my hunt. If there was a problem in the area, I would certainly understand though....as I'd like to be part of the solution to it. I hate people who jack deer, or kill does without a "valid zone" permit. Hunters should be policing themselves anyway....cause they only hurt the deer pop by doing that. (Not that I agree with the way MA manages it either...way too many doe permits and long gun seasons) But I hear people say the same thing all the time...we never see EPO's in the woods. I'm like really, you want to see them in the woods? Why?

I'd rather have them check me at my car or whatever.....I'm perfectly fine with that...few times in the Berkshires I've been checked on the way out and it's no big deal. Even people get put off by that....WTF, the guy's just doing his job is always my answer to these Fing complainers.

sub 15 yards? I fail to believe this is an accident then.
Mark- I think the way the herd is managed here is horrid. Gun seasons too short, too few doe tags, and not enough hunting in areas where the animals actually are. I'm sorry, car v. deer is not a good way to manage, and from the looks of it, that's how most of the state's herd is approached. (At least here in the east side of the state.)

btw, I saw an EPO while he was taking a vacation once.
sanfrancisco-22march2009-026-bushman-450px.jpg

Update: Father Says Son’s Fatal Hunting Incident Was “Murder”

A grand jury has indicted 48-year-old Wade Holmes on negligent homicide and reckless conduct charges in the death of Kenneth Brunelle of Marlborough, Massachusetts. The father, Craig Brunelle of Hudson, Massachusetts, was only fifteen feet away from his son when he heard the fatal shot and knew it was close. “Forty or fifty away with a rifle with a scope, there’s nothing in your way. You call that negligent homicide, I call it murder,” he tells WBZ-TV.

Full Story w/video >>> http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/27/father-says-sons-fatal-hunting-incident-was-murder/

[sad2]

I haven't hunted up here in New England and was looking forward to it, but this thread certainly goes a long way towards discouraging me from doing so. Maybe I'll stick to hunting at my folks place in Missouri when I can make it there. Sounds like nothing but a bunch of idiots running around in the woods up here.

I can't figure out what happened here. The more I read the more it looks bad for the shooter. Something just doesn't feel right. Some here are saying they have the right to not wear hunter orange. I guess that's true, but then they also have the right to jump off a bridge, but I wouldn't recommend either one. For me, it comes down to which is my priority, getting a deer or not getting shot. Personally, I find the answer very easily. The guy within ten feet of his companions who both were wearing orange gets shot by a man within 50 to 60 feet with a clear line of sight. Not sure I have all the facts but it smells bad from here.

I haven't hunted up here in New England and was looking forward to it, but this thread certainly goes a long way towards discouraging me from doing so. Maybe I'll stick to hunting at my folks place in Missouri when I can make it there. Sounds like nothing but a bunch of idiots running around in the woods up here.

This is what I have done since I moved up here. Though I'd really like to get into some hunting up here, but it is so much easier when I go back home in Missouri. So much family land to hunt on, I can't remeber the last time we were on public land unless it was for goose or duck.

~SW

Back
Top Bottom