• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

~ Mass man killed in NH hunting accident . . . UPDATE . . .

Kenny was a friend of mine growing up and it is sad to see him go. I do agree Hunter orange should be used when hunting during shotgun and rifle season but I also think anyone who shoots at something they can not identify is dangerous to everyone. Orange or no orange.

I guess not but even an AD is no excuse. Not really sure I understand your point.

My point is... A lot of shit happens in the woods during deer hunting season. Arguments, fights, murders, etc... It happens. The initial report was a man was shot and killed by someone NOT in his party, that was all they released. You were already saying it was inexcusable without having any supporting information.

I am sure Eddie Eagle has taught you well but life is real and shit happens, even to good people.

Now that I am reading well later in to the day, someone has posted the shooter thought the other hunter was a deer, well I'm pretty sure you know where I stand on that. However when I posted my comment there was no info other than what I posted in my first paragraph.

Boghog1:2102845 said:
if you are foolish enough to not wear it and get shot too bad so sad. You know the old play stupid games win stupid prizes

are you really that innocent? do you really think in the society we have any kind a policy like that would ever have a possibility of standing?

No way... no matter what happens, it's always some one's fault; there's always someone to sue. No one takes responsibility, and the victim's family would NEVER accept that their relative was at fault. They'll always look for someone to blame.

the shooter should have consequences for their actions as well if they are negligent. But we need to do away with the it is every ones fault but mine mentality.

Kenny was a friend of mine growing up and it is sad to see him go.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I do agree Hunter orange should be used when hunting during shotgun and rifle season but I also think anyone who shoots at something they can not identify is dangerous to everyone. Orange or no orange.
I agree on both counts.

Your eyes play tricks on you, whether you want to admit it or not. Your brain fills in the blanks sometimes and sees what it wants to see. Not excusing the shooter, just hoping that anyone who ventures in the woods this time of the year wears orange.

Sucking up to Derek

Why in the hell would you go out in deer season with no orange on. That's just stupid.

Even in Alaska, the kids are taught to wear some freaky orange-blazing markers. Is Alaska all of a sudden the pinnacle of Hunter Ed? Or was this just a lapse in judgement and sighting? Still a crappy story no matter how we disect it over the next few months.

RIP and thoughts to the family of both folks...both will suffer for years to come

Are you saying hunter orange should be required? any other things we should require? there are already too many requirements out there, people need to learn there are consequences for their actions and that the big government isn't there to be a nanny. NH has no requirement to wear hunter orange and if you are foolish enough to not wear it and get shot too bad so sad. You know the old play stupid games win stupid prizes

Sometimes freedom comes with a steep price tag.

So the story I got from talking to some of his family is that he was not wearing hunter orange but he was no more then ten feet from his father and brother who were both wearing orange.

Are you saying hunter orange should be required? any other things we should require? there are already too many requirements out there, people need to learn there are consequences for their actions and that the big government isn't there to be a nanny. NH has no requirement to wear hunter orange and if you are foolish enough to not wear it and get shot too bad so sad. You know the old play stupid games win stupid prizes

In as much a requirement as, "Know your target and beyond it" should be a requirement. You can't legislate stupid out, and knowing how other people are, and not wearing orange is just stupid. My opinion, which isn't worth much, is that I'll leave the orange at home when I'm ready for someone else to check me out. (I'll also put on some bullwinkle antlers.) Anyone who's been alive and literate for the last ten years knows that people get buck fever and that leads to people getting shot.

Did I say or do I think it should be a legal requirement? No. Funeral homes need work too.

This is really easy. I believe in personal responsibility. I take responsibility for everything I do and I expect everyone else to do the same.

When I pull the trigger I am responsible for where that bullet goes. Period.

It takes two to tango. One didn't know his target, one was in the woods on opening day of without orange to help negate that. Fortunately both these things don't happen so close together often, that's why these accidents are rare.

The only side that counts is the one who pulled the trigger. I don't care if the other guy was doing ballet in woods.

Yes, wise people, including non-hunters, will wear hunter orange in the woods.

But the responsibility for any shooting lies with the shooter.

If I shoot an intruder in my home, I may be justified in my actions but I'm still responsible for them.

This is really easy. I believe in personal responsibility. I take responsibility for everything I do and I expect everyone else to do the same.

When I pull the trigger I am responsible for where that bullet goes. Period.

Most folks here (on NES) will agree with you. The problem is that a lot of folks don't. Just open the news paper or turn on the TV. Why is Judge Judy so popular...because people don't like responsibility especially if they can sue someone ,and win.

Thoughts and prayers go out to both families. Certainly to the family and friends of the person who was shot and killed. He didn't deserve to die.

Prayers also to the family of the shooter. I imagine he will (should, anyway...) go to jail for negligence, manslaughter, etc. If he was the primary wage-earner for his family, they will suffer too. I just hope he has good liability insurance, or the victim's family will make them homeless.

I do not pray for the shooter himself. There is NO excuse for this shooting. None. Period.

Just wanted to state my condolences to anyone that may have known this man. No matter the situation and events my thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends.

Even the newspaper delivery people around where I live wear blaze orange during hunting season. They're out around dawn and don't want anything bad to happen.

There's really no excuse, if the guy in question shot a person he thought was a deer.

He can't possibly have had a clear view or a clear shot. Do you suppose he put his crosshairs right behind the shoulder?

His only possible explanation was that he took a shot at something large that moved. Disgraceful.

I wear orange when I go hiking this time of year, whether I'm in a legal hunting area or not.

I never have, and I've never even seen a hunter in the state park up the street, but I'm starting to think that I should.

I started after I found an arrow, apparently from a crossbow, stuck in a tree about 5 feet off a hiking trail in the White mountain National forest. Those things aren't cheap, I would figure he would have collected it if he knew where it actually went! I thought that same guy might be out with his shotgun too someday!

I wear orange when I go hiking this time of year, whether I'm in a legal hunting area or not.

I do that when I go mountain biking, even if people are not allowed to hunt in the are. There are too many stupid people out there that just want to shoot something.

Back
Top Bottom