• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

~ Mass man killed in NH hunting accident . . . UPDATE . . .

UPDATE: The hunting-related shooting incident victim has been identified as Kenneth Brunelle of Marlboro, Massachusetts.
UPDATE 11/10/11, 4 p.m.: Investigation has confirmed that the person who discharged the firearm was Wade Holmes, age 48, of Lisbon, N.H. The NH Medical Examiner's office has released the cause of death as a single gunshot wound to the neck from a high-velocity rifle. The investigation continues and will be forwarded to the Grafton County Attorney's office when complete.
Lisbon_NH-2.gif

31-year-old Hunter Fatally Shot in Hunting-related Incident in Lisbon, N.H.
CONCORD, N.H. – A 31-year-old man who was hunting with his father and brother on the opening day of New Hampshire's firearms deer hunting season was fatally shot today at approximately 8 a.m. by another hunter in the vicinity. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. The incident occurred off of Mt. Eustis Road in Lisbon, N.H. The alleged shooter was unrelated to the victim's hunting party and is being interviewed by authorities at this time.

The incident is being investigated by the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department and the New Hampshire State Police. No further information is available at this time; updates will be posted on this web page:

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/News_2011/news_2011_Q4/hunting-related_fatal_110911.html

Fatal hunting incidents are unusual for New Hampshire, which has a generally good record for hunter safety, largely attributable to mandatory hunter education and the increasing use of blaze orange clothing by hunters. The average number of hunting-related incidents per year has gone down steadily since the state instituted the hunter education requirement for first-time hunters in the 1970s. During the 1960s, New Hampshire had an average of 21.4 hunting-related incidents per year. Fewer incidents have occurred each decade since, with an average of 3.36 incidents per year since 2000.

Serious incidents are even rarer – counting today's tragic death, only five hunting-related fatalities have occurred in the state in the last 15 years. The most recent previous hunting-related shooting fatality in New Hampshire occurred on the opening day of muzzleloader season in 2009; in that incident, a hunter was killed when his muzzleloader discharged shortly after he had gotten into his treestand.

Last edited:
it would be helpful to know more about the accident, like what he was wearing, how the heck the other guy shot him without positive id. My buddy have seen a guy going hunting in a fur coat. Talk about stupid. Also, was there any alcohol involved? Very sad news.

Very sad. You're right, there is no excuse for this sort of thing. If you don't know better than to be SURE of your target before you pull the trigger you have no business hunting.

That sucks. There IS no excuse. Taking a shot requires a positive confirmation. This isn't good for anyone. [thinking]

Ah so you know how he got shot?

I'm going to agree with salty on this. Know your target and what is beyond. One of the two was not. I know there is no info yet on the case, but I fail to see why this happens.

I guess not but even an AD is no excuse. Not really sure I understand your point.

As far as we know the guy could have shot the deer at close range and the round blew through and hit the other guy. The point is without more facts you really can't condemn the guy.

As far as we know the guy could have shot the deer at close range and the round blew through and hit the other guy. The point is without more facts you really can't condemn the guy.

Like dhuz said & what we were all taught on day one. Know your target "& what's beyond". Whether or not is was a magic bullet delivered from over penetration or some crazy ricochet the shooter will suffer some consequences.

There is also the possibility of shooting a running deer, it's easy to fire a first shot, the deer takes off and you continue to fire while the deer runs, what if the deer runs between you and another hunter? I agree that's part of the "and beyond" but seriously? If you're in an area where there aren't many other hunters, last time you looked around there was nobody in sight.

Also, what if the guy that got shot was wearing camo? Deer runs/walks between the two, guy misses deer hits the camo guy not even knowing he was there.

It's a tragedy but I'm not willing to condemn a hunter on the very little info that was in that article. I also don't think orange should be mandatory, if you want to go with camo it's your choice, if you get shot you knew that was a risk.

Now, if he thought the guy was a deer and just straight up shot him than yeah, crucify him there is no excuse.

They said on the radio that the victim wasn't wearing blaze orange and the other hunter mistook him for a deer.

Now, I'm no Grizzly Adams but I know the difference between a deer and a human. These kind of incidents make me sick.

If that's the case string him up, I ALWAYS verify I'm shooting at a deer, the hardest thing is the "and beyond" I could see to forgive if they legitimately did not see the hunter beyond the deer due to leaves/tall grass/deer running etc. etc. etc. but straight up shooting someone thinking they are a deer? Only if they are wearing a brown fur coat with a white handkerchief.

They said on the radio that the victim wasn't wearing blaze orange and the other hunter mistook him for a deer.

Now, I'm no Grizzly Adams but I know the difference between a deer and a human. These kind of incidents make me sick.

EXACTLY! It makes me sick as well.

I don't care if someone is walkin' around the woods on all four with a brown coat and an antler hat.
There is NO excuse for this. I have passed on shots that I THOUGHT I might miss, and these were deer in
full view less than 50 yards away.

It should require that, but not everyone ascribes to that rule!
Are you saying hunter orange should be required? any other things we should require? there are already too many requirements out there, people need to learn there are consequences for their actions and that the big government isn't there to be a nanny. NH has no requirement to wear hunter orange and if you are foolish enough to not wear it and get shot too bad so sad. You know the old play stupid games win stupid prizes

Are you saying hunter orange should be required? any other things we should require? there are already too many requirements out there, people need to learn there are consequences for their actions and that the big government isn't there to be a nanny. NH has no requirement to wear hunter orange and if you are foolish enough to not wear it and get shot too bad so sad. You know the old play stupid games win stupid prizes

I agree with this with regards to accidentals but not for poor target identification, people should be able to tell the difference between camo/hunting clothes and a deer, if it's proven the person aimed and fired directly at the guy thinking he was a deer I would say charges for involuntary manslaughter or something of the sort.

What's idiotic is that it's even necessary.

Years ago I met an older woman walking her dog wearing a fur coat on a trail off the Kangamangus while we were deer hunting. I did tell her she shouldn't be wearing that out there but she corrected me saying it was ok because she wasn't hunting.
There are times that it could just be an accident where someone was just on the other side of some bushes and couldn't be seen at all from the shooters side. We could all stay home in fear but even there your're never really 100% safe.

this, enough requirements already. i enjoy hunting deer without orange on (free landowner) i like not worrying about who can see me and complain/harass/investigate/whatever me while im trying to relax on my own property. in fact, that i even had to attend, and pay for, a 2 day long hunter safety course to be able to harvest food on my own property kinda ticks me off. but i digress, whats next? you have to wear orange when hunting turkey? OSHA in the treestand? come on.

I just got a call from the victim's cousin. She said that he wasn't hunting, he was video taping his Dad and Brother hunting. Very sad and totally unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom