• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass LTC will expire in August...When should I begin the renewal process?

KAYSPOP

Banned
My Massachusetts LTC (License to Carry) expires mid-August of this year....how soon should I submit my renewal application to my town (Dracut) ?...I don't want to wait too long, but don't want a chief to say "Why are you applying so soon?"...(The usual Massachusetts "game" that we have play involving our constitutional rights LOL)....

Many years ago my Wife submitted her paperwork 3 months early and she received her renewed LTC only a few days before her B'day.

Given what is happening now, I'd recommend submitting 4 months in advance. That plus the 90 day grace period should get you your renewal before all that time runs out.

A few days before your birthday is the worst case scenario. You want to get a a few days after (LOL) to catch another year.

My Massachusetts LTC (License to Carry) expires mid-August of this year....how soon should I submit my renewal application to my town (Dracut) ?...I don't want to wait too long, but don't want a chief to say "Why are you applying so soon?"...(The usual Massachusetts "game" that we have play involving our constitutional rights LOL)....

Call the station and talk to the officer/detective/whomever that is assigned to renew licenses and ask. I did it and followed what he told me. Renewal went without a hitch.

Yesterday!

I can say the only time I had a hold up was when they first went to the new system class A and B, but that was at the State Police level.

My last two renewals were very quick but I am also due to renew late this year. I will ask my local P.D. they are very helpful.

Begin the renewall as soon as you can. My last renewall took several months longer than the grace period, so I was out of luck (no shooting, etc.) for that period. With the delays that have become common. I think that the grace period should be reconsidered. I believe that it should now be indefinite, as long as the permit holder has a valid renewall application to prove that he (or she) has done their part and are waiting for the local issuing authority to act. I'm surprised GOAL hasn't addressed this matter.

I agree, GOAL should be all over this with the state reps that are GOAL friendly and get to the bottom of it as well as put a fire under someone's butt.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this is starting in the Governors office and we all know how much Patrick loves to talk with GOAL now don't we?

When I went to renew mine in Nov (it expires first week Feb) I was told they will not accept applications any earlier than 90 days before the expiration date and not to worry there is a 90 day grace period. Well I submitted on Nov 16th and I am still waiting..9 weeks today...

When I went to renew mine in Nov (it expires first week Feb) I was told they will not accept applications any earlier than 90 days before the expiration date and not to worry there is a 90 day grace period. Well I submitted on Nov 16th and I am still waiting..9 weeks today...

Nice... MA, making criminals out of law abiding citizens whenever they can.[rolleyes]

That's your local PD making their own rules. The state doesn't care how early (4, 5, 6 months) you apply.

As for the grace period . . . all well and good, but you can't buy even ammo AND if ever stopped there is NO WAY for the LEO to verify that you are still OK (within the grace period) unless his dispatcher can contact YOUR PD to verify (and only 0800-1600 hrs M-F)!!! So you are legal to CCW on an expired LTC under these conditions (I've verified this), but any LE contact would have no clue that you are legal.

I'd make it 20 weeks - I'm on thirteen weeks so far with no end in sight.

The licensing official said he's still waiting on the same state background check as he was a month ago. So it hasn't even made it to the CHSB yet.

My license is up for renewal this month. I called back in November for an appointment to submit the renewal paperwork. The first available appointment is this week. The last time I renewed, I got an appointment in a couple of weeks, this time it's taking over two months. It will be interesting to see if I get the renewed license before the 90 day grace period expires.

Next time I'll apply for the renewal 4 months before the expiration date.

I agree, GOAL should be all over this with the state reps that are GOAL friendly and get to the bottom of it as well as put a fire under someone's butt.

I have a sneaky suspicion that this is starting in the Governors office and we all know how much Patrick loves to talk with GOAL now don't we?

The problem in my town is a simple lack of manpower. There used to be an officer with a secretary to handle permits and renewalls. Now there is one officer to do the same job and he is also a homicide investigator. By his own admission, permits and renewalls are not a priority.

This is why I believe that the grace period must be reconsidered. If the issuing authority cannot act within the statutory grace period, it must be extended to accomodate this delay. GOAL where are you?

State(CHRB) and Local P.D's have been running slow. (Staffing?)
But, Lt Mike Fleury (DRACUT) is a good guy. I think he's one of the best in the area.
I'd send in no later than the end of May.
~Matt

+1 even thou Dracut is a RED town. Lt. Mike Fleury is a good guy! got mine with no prob!!!

This is why you should get your spouse or significant other a license to make sure you are never without a license

I'm covered on that front. As long as my bride doesn't find out about my signifcant other I should be okay. [wink]

The problem in my town is a simple lack of manpower. There used to be an officer with a secretary to handle permits and renewalls. Now there is one officer to do the same job and he is also a homicide investigator. By his own admission, permits and renewalls are not a priority.

This is why I believe that the grace period must be reconsidered. If the issuing authority cannot act within the statutory grace period, it must be extended to accomodate this delay. GOAL where are you?

I agree, extending the grace period would help. The problem is that it's a band-aid solution to the problem. By extending the grace period, there is even less pressure on the state and local licensing authorities to move in a timely fashion. Plus the grace period limits you, since you can't purchase guns/ammo until you have the renewed license in hand. (If I understand the law correctly.)

What would be even better was if the whole licensing charade went away.

Hey, I can dream, can't I? [sad2]

center442, there is no pressure on the local PDs or CJIS. They don't care how long it takes. The only time anyone except the applicant "cares" is when they are called to task for the delay by a legislator, town manager/mayor, selectmen/town council member!

A few days before your birthday is the worst case scenario. You want to get a a few days after (LOL) to catch another year.

You dont reapply until a fe days after your birthday and you lose the grace period on your current LTC. Not worth it IMHO

Thread Update (Bump)

In my town, I submitted my renewal application early July of this year. I had to follow up with a phone call in August to finally get an appointment in September. Now it is December and still no renewed LTC.

It took me 3 months to get ON the wait list. Then 2 months to wait for an interview. 4 months after the interview, I got my LTC renewal.

The reason it took 3 months to get on the wait list was because they scheduled one month at a time.

Then suddenly after Newtown, the PD was swamped with new apps and I was not as aggressive as I should have been to get an appointment.

I live in a town with a good department but they can get swamped.

We all know how long this can take so you must plan accordingly.

It took me 3 months to get ON the wait list. Then 2 months to wait for an interview. 4 months after the interview, I got my LTC renewal.

The reason it took 3 months to get on the wait list was because they scheduled one month at a time.

Is this a loophole to the 40 day turnaround mandate? Don't accept an application without an appointment, don't schedule appointments in a timely fashion. Wonder if you can just send in the app via registered mail, therefore you have submitted the app and the 40 day clock begins.

Not that an unenforced mandate really needs a loophole. [frown]

It would be cool if we could standardize the process for all state issued licenses. Imagine if all drivers in MA had to do this process to renew their drivers license. I bet this crap would get fixed quickly.

Back
Top Bottom